sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

So ow is looking at 7.5x the previews. GZ14 was 10x so for a sequel it makes sense even with smaller numbers. JW1 was 11x+ and JW2 9x+. Similar drop in multi for APOC from DOFP despite smaller numbers.

12.7 [19]

15.9 (+25%)

11.9 (-25%)

= 46.8

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

It's also the same CS Skull Island got and that one had a 2.75x multi against the BatB remake 🤷‍♂️

Skull island wasn't a Zilla movie.

We can compare Kong vs Zilla's legs to Kong's legs, but at this point we have to compare Zilla 19 to Zila 14. 

7 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Has blaming the Mouse started already?

Not so much 'blame' as 'shaking fists against an uncaring, unfeeling, inexorable force of nature'.

So, the next stage beyond 'blame', basically. 

• Haha 1

KOTM had as perfect of marketing as it could have possibly had, and not a bad release date either. This is 100% '14's fault, which is something I was bringing up for months. Not sure why many were quick to forget how hated by audiences that was. Never bodes well for a sequel. 

• Like 4

Blaming the mouse.

Is pure jealousy and envy 

it’s like hating the golden state warriors. 

If you were a fan of the team. 

The same things you are blaming them for you would be praising if it was Warner bros or universal doing it 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Godzilla vs Kong should be ok... but I don’t know at this point as I thought KotM was looking at 600m WW.

The franchise is going back to Toho after 2020 I think. They have some ambitious plans I think.

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

KOTM had as perfect of marketing as it could have possibly had, and not a bad release date either. This is 100% '14's fault, which is something I was bringing up for months. Not sure why many were quick to forget how hated by audiences that was. Never bodes well for a sequel. 

Godzilla 2014 was an abomination! It was so godawful, to this day I can't watch it when it comes on tv! It's 99.99% the reason KOTM is underperforming.

Edit: at least the 1998 version was a fun bad movie!

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 2

Well we always knew that with the release of Pika Pika, John Wick 3, Aladdin and Godzilla that one of them was gonna underperform. Didn't expect it to be Godzilla tbh. 

I rewatched Godzilla 2014 a couple of days ago and honestly I still enjoy that film quite a bit. But yeah clearly that film's negative WoM is lingering in the back of some people's mind to avoid KOTM.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Well we always knew that with the release of Pika Pika, John Wick 3, Aladdin and Godzilla that one of them was gonna underperform. Didn't expect it to be Godzilla tbh. 

Two of them underperformed. Godzilla is one. 

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Godzilla vs Kong should be ok... but I don’t know at this point as I thought KotM was looking at 600m WW.

The franchise is going back to Toho after 2020 I think. They have some ambitious plans I think.

Yeah, Legendary probably won't try to keep the rights after this. Hopefully they find a winning franchise soon. I'm interested in Toho's future plans for Godzilla.

• ...wtf 1

God it’s so weird coming home a hour ago to a crowd that loved the film to this.... strange man. I had a great time with this movie... not the results we wanted but lets move on and end the Monsterverse on a high note with GvsKong next year.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

Saw 6 paid for Saw 5 being a bad movie

Justice League paid for BVS being awful

Zilla 2019 is paying for Zilla 2014

History repeats itself, folks. If you want to get a great series going, you have to get it right with the first movie. That's why every John Wick flick keeps making more than the previous one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Compared to board expectations, this quartet was perfectly balanced.

• Like 2

Legs remain to be seen for this Godzilla flick I guess, but if it follows Godzilla ‘14 then oof.

As a casual moviegoer for monsters movies, I have always found Kong to be a more likable figure between the two, and one that can connect more with human characters. I know people often say that no one cares about human in monsters movies, but I guess I’m the few who do, and that’s why King Kong (2005) and Kong (2017) both worked way better for me than Godzilla (2014)

Haven’t a chance to watch this new Godzilla yet but I’ll find time to, it looks better than its predecessor base on trailers at least.

Kinda funny that all WB tent poles so far this year look to fall in the 50s range. Remind me of 2014 when somehow all blockbusters in the first half of the year opened in the 90s range (CA2, TASM2, Godzilla, XMDOFP)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Saw 6 paid for Saw 5 being a bad movie

Justice League paid for BVS being awful

Zilla 2019 is paying for Zilla 2014

History repeats itself, folks. If you want to get a great series going, you have to get it right with the first movie. That's why every John Wick flick keeps making more than the previous one. 

Another one that strikes personally... Final Destination 5 was the best-reviewed in the series by a mile. Killed at the BO by the fourth film.

• Like 1