sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

5 minutes ago, Cookson said:

God it’s so weird coming home a hour ago to a crowd that loved the film to this.... strange man. I had a great time with this movie... not the results we wanted but lets move on and end the Monsterverse on a high note with GvsKong next year.

I’m getting vibes of Alita reception this weekend. It has a super high audience RT. Many of the people who saw it loved it. The issue is that the good audience reception is due (more than normal) to a self-selection effect — people who aren’t sure they’ll love it just decide not to go. 

• Like 1

Rocketman is the best movie of May.  Edgerton kills it.

It’s a shame people are seeing it as a BoHo knock off, when it’s completely different in style and runs circles around that movie.

• Astonished 1

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Want to take a moment to drop some thoughts to @Mulder and @Brainbug (and a bit to @BoxOfficeZ as well) as well as anyone else who has been pushing hard for the film whose name escapes me at the moment.

I know more than most here how it feels to have the Box Office Gods stab you through the heart on a film* you've been stanning for months.  

It sucks. It's awful and it generally just plain hurts.  Just want to send some thoughts out publicly to them and let them know that I'm thinking about them.

And, hey, never know.  Might still get some legs when all is said and done. Here's hoping at least.

* I was tagged during Solo's OW and while I was in no mood to comment at the time, I did appreciate the sentiment. I felt I should pass this forward to other folks in a similar position.

Waking up to this BO news really wasnt the best way to start the day..but this post was just what I needed. Thanks :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Are you questioning RTH's update this late !!!!!!!

FYI my upvote isn't re $19m Friday but projections for the whole weekend based on that number. Still speculation.

4 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Another one that strikes personally... Final Destination 5 was the best-reviewed in the series by a mile. Killed at the BO by the fourth film.

That one can kind of be explained as being too late to the party as well. By the time it came out, people just didn't seem in to horror movies that packed in gore and creative kills. 

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

FYI my upvote isn't re $19m Friday but projections for the whole weekend based on that number. Still speculation.

There is something called trend. its not going to double tomorrow. We have movies releasing every year in weekend after memorial day.  Plus we have Pulse data that has proved amazingly accurate to project. So its more than speculation.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

So can we say that Gareth Edwards and his obsession to follow Jaws formula almost squandered Monsterverse? 

I mean the "almost" is tbd if we're talking about a fifth film

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is something called trend. its not going to double tomorrow. We have movies releasing every year in weekend after memorial day.  Plus we have Pulse data that has proved amazingly accurate to project. So its more than speculation.

Of course it's not going to double tomorrow, I'm talking specific numbers. An educated guess is still speculation. I'm not out here saying Deadline was right or anything, lol

Just now, Sam said:

Not gonna lie, low key hoping to see Kong winning that Kong v. Godzilla matchup just to have @Brainbug ranting and grumbling about it ala Spinosaurus v. T-Rex :ph34r:

They'll probably chicken out and not really have a winner like Freddy vs. Jason.

Kong did win in the 1962 flick though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Not gonna lie, low key hoping to see Kong winning that Kong v. Godzilla matchup just to have @Brainbug ranting and grumbling about it ala Spinosaurus v. T-Rex :ph34r:

Brainbug after seeing that Kong wins again in Kong Vs. Godzilla!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1