sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

I'm not worried about Rocketman. It is the type of summer film that has strong legs with the older audience. This is the natural gross becaude Queen is a much bigger thing than Elton John, at least right now. Expect a Mamma Mia 2 type gross, if not a bit more.

• Like 2

After coming back with some shocking positivity with Aladdin last week, it is with regret that I inform you that I found Godzilla to be shockingly, astonishingly bad. Like, worst of the Transformers bad. Wow. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

After coming back with some shocking positivity with Aladdin last week, it is with regret that I inform you that I found Godzilla to be shockingly, astonishingly bad. Like, worst of the Transformers bad. Wow. 

Disney shill :ph34r: 

19 minutes ago, Alli said:

lol  you gotta be joking. WW 2 is highly anticipated. No1cur about Black Widow

Agree, WW2 is going to smash the box Office. Black Widow isn’t really a film anyone is asking for, but on the other hand the MCU feels invincible right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The problem is that Dune is so much more complex than Aquaman or Jumanji the year before it. The aesthetic is completely different too and much edgier. If it works, it would be similar to The City of Lost Children (way too complex even for critics), but if Villeneuve strips out everything except for the aesthetic to try to make it an epic, it would be closer to Mortal Engines than Aquaman.

You lack vision my young padawan ^^

TTVOMJ

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The problem is that Dune is so much more complex than Aquaman or Jumanji the year before it. The aesthetic is completely different too and much edgier. If it works, it would be similar to The City of Lost Children (way too complex even for critics), but if Villeneuve strips out everything except for the aesthetic to try to make it an epic, it would be closer to Mortal Engines than Aquaman.

Dune could also play like a bigger budgeted, PG-13 Game of Thrones. I know Denis Villeneuve's sensibilities aren't incredibly commercial, but at this point Dune > GvK doesn't even seem that unlikely.

I actually don't think KOTM's performance will have much effect on GvK. If people find the premise of Godzilla fighting King Kong to be appealing, they will come, and if they don't, they won't. I'm not sure how much appeal the premise has, but probably a decent bit more than KOTM's at least (to non hardcore fans who don't give a shit about Ghidorah, Mothra, etc.)

The biggest hurdle to Dune's success is the fact it's Dune. Yes, the book was popular, but it's been iterated on so thoroughly since then by other, much more successful properties - and the attempts at adapting it have all disappointed in multiple ways, with that '80s film still maintaining a reputation as one of that decade's biggest botch jobs......

It's got all the baggage of Blade Runner, but with none of the upside. Not that Blade Runner's upside helped 2049 any in the end. WB Marketing has its job cut out for it, trying to figure out how to package Dune in a way that doesn't make it seem impenetrable, musty, or dull. 

Best Case scenario is 2049
Worst Case scenario is Valerian.
Most Probable scenario is John Carter

• Like 1

FWIW I'm the farthest thing from a kaiju fan, and I didn't really enjoy either Godzilla '14 or Skull Island (haven't seen KotM, but I've heard it has the problems I have with most kaiju/monster movies). But I'm hyped for Godzilla vs Kong just for that title alone, even though I know I probably won't like it. It just seems too cool of a title/fight to pass up. I don't know if that sentiment's shared with other people, but I'm sold tbh.

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Aladdin dropping 52-54% after an inflated Memorial Day debut is a big win too.

Definitely coming for $ 265-280M finish

and @UserHN I meant among openers (didn't clarify, my bad) and I agree with you about Aladdin. Defintiely holding really well amid new openers and loss of some premium screens. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Best Case scenario is 2049
Worst Case scenario is Valerian.
Most Probable scenario is John Carter

this is way too pessimistic. I think it will do around 200M. Hoping for more. The book has many fans that are ready for a good adaptation. Villaneuve will deliver imo

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

Godzilla had nothing going against it and everything handed to it on a silver platter to succeed.

Godzilla 2014.

59 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about so I'm not gonna even entertain it. 

Before PikaMania hit me, I remember you saying there’d be no way it’s doing under Pets when someone said Pets Numbers would be a good breakout.

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Me, after noting that John Wick 3 might end up beating Zilla 2019's domestic numbers...

Keanu Reeves Whatever GIF

BTW this movie was great and Keanu is awesome. Its called Always be My Maybe. It’s on Netflix

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Alli said:

lol  you gotta be joking. WW 2 is highly anticipated. No1cur about Black Widow

LOL...... You guys will never learn from your mistakes!! I know it’s a common thing on this forum to underestimate a MCU movie and  overestimate a movie from a rival film studio or franchise. You shouldn’t underestimate Black Widow. Next year is all 2016 over again when you guys  thought Batman v Superman would  destroy Captain America: Civil War at the box office, but we all know what eventually happened. I will tell you only one thing.....Never underestimate the MCU!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJG said:

BTW this movie was great and Keanu is awesome. Its called Always be My Maybe. It’s on Netflix

Is in on Netflix in America?