sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

DiCaprio is our last living movie star and it's the only big non-genre film all summer

I don't want to get into spoilers, but if the reports from the Cannes screenings are true, there are elements that could turn a lot of people off in OUATIH.

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't want to get into spoilers, but if the reports from the Cannes screenings are true, there are elements that could turn a lot of people off in OUATIH.

If even pc critics have no problems with it, then general audience won't have any problems with it for sure. They even say it's playing safe by Tarantino standards.

Edited by Firepower
  • Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

Not excited about another downer weekend? Well, come celebrate the winners of a winners year with my club/game!

I don't get being a fan of Disney. It like being fan of CHase Manhatten Bank,Microsoft, or any other huge corporation.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 3

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

True, but even DP can look and laugh at MIB:I

Why? MiB has a budget that's basically 1/2 of Dark Phoenix, and the two movies are going to wind up within 100M WW gross of each other.

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Elements that could turn people off?  From a QT movie in 2019?  About Sharon Tate's Murder?

shocked claude rains GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

What a strange position to be in, if you're sony.... to be saying "Well maybe we should have gone ahead and done the Jump Street x MIB crossover movie instead." 

It couldn't have been worse. 

I think a Jump Street crossover would have performed better. I think audiences would at least feel like they're getting something unique. This version of MIB comes off as a poor man's version of the original. 

The problem is that it probably wouldn't have done much better, and if it did bomb, you'd be killing off two IPs. 

• Like 1

The numbers will go up later but sheesh. Men in Black marks yet another crash and burn for a once powerful franchise this summer while Shaft is gonna sell a lot less tickets in total than the 2000 movie did in its first weekend. Audiences are flat out rejecting these sequels that are failing to justify their existence besides monetary reasons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't get being a fan of Disney. It like being fan of CHase Manhatten Bank,Microsoft, or any other huge corporation.

This site has a ton of studio fanboys...

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

True, but even DP can look and laugh at MIB:I

DP will probably gross just 50 million more than its production budget. Now that’s something MIB can certainly laugh at

Edited by Hokkaido MUTO

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh... I think my general stance on this forum is that I'm not a fan of Disney as a company. (Or really any large corporations.) I was intensely against the Fox acquisition. I find any monolithic company, as Disney is in entertainment, to be very detrimental to both the specific business of entertainment and the overall society around it.

I do like WDAS, though, and enjoy several Disney films. The two beliefs aren't mutually exclusive. 

It's a box office site, though, and I'm curious about how things shake out for a banner year for the company. It's a fun little game, not a moral position about the company's existence.

Also, MiBI? Better than Endgame.

• Like 4