Eric S'ennui

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

Saw FFH last night on a $5 ticket with my son. Fun movie. I'd give it an 8.5. Tying my 8.5 for Aladdin as my 2 highest rated movies for me personally this summer. i liked the interactions with the teenagers. The action scenes were mostly great. The mid credit scene is awesome. I really disliked the post-credit scene (but my son loved it so to each his own). Should do well. 

FWIW. For the movies i've seen this summer ( and I have to be picky with time and money).

Aladdin 8.5 (just an incredibly enjoyable movie)

FFH 8.5

AE 7.5 (i liked AE, didn't love it. Liked IW more. It was somewhat disjointed as it was really about 2 1/2 movies in one and I disliked the battle for earth - I felt it was derivative of the Wakanda battle and frankly not as well lit or shot. )

Yesterday (saw a special preview screening of this weeks ago. Has my absolute single favorite scene of any movie i've seen this year. Movie should have been better than it was, but I came out quite happy. Interesting to see some people stay for credits not due to any post credits scene but because they wanted to stay and sing to the music running over the final credits).

MIB 5 (saw a special free screening of this. Had some nice moments but not a very good movie).

Will hopefully get to see TS4 this weekend sometime.

Great increase for TS4 in the face of FFH. Good increases for Aladdin and Yday.

Expected drop for AE. With FFH now in theaters i think this will start to fade back to where it was before the re-release. At this time yesterday I had 18 tickets sold for it at the theaters around me. This morning it is 12. 

I said yesterday there will be lots of ups and downs this 6 day period just because there are so many conflicting factors at play. Still seeing that.

Wednesday drops should be very muted since it is July 3rd. I expect FFH to stay above 30. Thursday will have bigger drops since it is July 4th and people are with their family (many of them traveling) and doing bbq's and fireworks.

Aladdin's run has been amazing. Had more consecutive days above $2M than AE. Has more $1M days. it just keeps chugging along. More days in the Top 5. It's legs have been nothing short of incredible.

• Like 3

One last note about FFH. If for some reason you haven't seen AE (I can't imagine this applies to anyone on here) and really want to see it and want to go in without spoilers do not go see FFH. Pretty much every AE spoiler is mentioned in the first 5 min of FFH.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

IT'S. A. FUCKING. TUESDAY.

Don't worry. Discounts are in, a lot of people probably don't know it's out and a lot of people are probably not available to go anyway. Still the biggest opening Tuesday gross ever.

no i am not saying that its bad, i just explained why maybe some people are a little dissopointed

17 minutes ago, john2000 said:

while i agree, i would say that is not that 39/40 is a bad number, but more like it is a big drop from the expected number around 53, but yeah i agree with you

that wasn't the expected number. 53 was never expected that is what Charlie extrapolated using data that was incomplete and he made that prediction at 10 a.m. eastern time. So stop saying that was a projected number it never was.

• Like 11

And another thing is Tuesday was discount Tuesday. So maybe it's sold so many goddamn tickets yesterday but the gross was lower then what Charlie was thinking simply because some of the tickets were almost half price.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Quite something for a film Rotten on RT and was a sure disaster for many, myself included, just 2.5 months before release.

Which is exactly one reason why the film has been so leggy. I think a not insignificant part of the GA shared your sentiment, and this skepticism (as a result of those trailers (genie-gate), a general apathy towards the whole live action trend and the film's mixed reviews) fueled the film's legs. Those who skipped the film on OW came out later following great WOM. Legs are all about how a film is perceived relative to expectations and Aladdin leapt considerably above a pretty low bar

I also think its strange that so many theaters discounted Spidey tickets. Many who showed up on opening day likely would have regardless of discounts, they definitely left some money on the table. Tuesday discounts have become almost absurd in the last few years, I know at cinema con many exhibs were talking about curtailing discounts 

Damn. I wake up just to find out FFH is clearly a financial flop and obviously the worst SH movie ever. It was only able to manage the biggest Tuesday ever? What a loser! Now it won’t be able to hit $450m domestic! 

Far From Home? More like “Flop From Home”!

This is just like Endgame and Captain Marvel. One failed to pass Civil War worldwide, the other couldn’t even beat TFA domestic. Failures, the lot of them!

and scene GIF by Five Points

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

The thing is this isn't your ordinary tuesday, this is opening tuesday of MCU sequel. 40 is the dividing line between dissapointment and okay-ish number. But let's hope for stellar legs as it's viewer rating is through the roof

please tell me you are not saying that 40 million opening day is the very floor for what is considered a good number? You can't compare homecoming to end game. This is Spider-Man it's a standalone movie for Pete's sake. WTF are some of you guys thinking? You're not making any sense.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

And another thing is Tuesday was discount Tuesday. So maybe it's sold so many goddamn tickets yesterday but the gross was lower then what Charlie was thinking simply because some of the tickets were almost half price.

Now since day is over, I will be sharing some data to tell what I was seeing.

In reported locs, FFH had 5.8k PTA, compared with 2.9k of Homecoming, 2.1k of AM&TW, 7.5K of BP and 5.8k of CM, with bigger release than these. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

As I said, I don't think FFH had enough discounts to cause a huge decrease in sales. The gross was lower than what Charlie said earlier because the movie ended up being more presales heavier than Charlie expected, not because of the prices of the tickets. 

This is a great number. We don't need excuses for a great number like this. Giving excuses (not just the discount Tuesday one but the godawful "no one knew it released on Tuesday" one) only makes the number seem more disappointing when it isn't at all. I'm betting no one would be coming up with these excuses if Charlie said 40 mil at first.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Now since day is over, I will be sharing some data to tell what I was seeing.

In reported locs, FFH had 5.8k PTA, compared with 2.9k of Homecoming, 2.1k of AM&TW, 7.5K of BP and 5.8k of CM, with bigger release than these. 

that was for today ? or it was spread ? (sorry i dont know how exactly it works )

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hi guys, just woke up, what's the number? I see meltdowns, did title number change or typical BOT overreaction? :thinking:

The latter (but the number did change to 39 mil). Movie is still going to end up making more than Homecoming DOM and WW and will end up making a billion.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, Menor said:

At Cinemark presales for today are half yesterday. Yesterday was also ridiculously presale heavy though so idk how to interpret that

well it still too early though right ? plus it will be more walk up from now on ?

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The latter (but the number did change to 39 mil). Movie is still going to end up making more than Homecoming DOM and WW and will end up making a billion.

so storm in a teacup as always. :lol: thanks!