grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Deadline July 31. PM your lists to me.

watching Following for the first time.  is it supposed to be any good or different from what i am seeing?  it premiered in Canada in 1998, but elsewhere in 1999.  is it eligible or any good?

it reminds me to hope that middle/low-class college student applicants refuse any trade school or engineering for philosophy or math classes.

and become a stoner and trip out to movies and think the t.v. is after you

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race

Do you think maybe we could bump the dead lineup by week? I don't think we need another full seven days to get in lists. I'm very curious to see what finishes at number one for the year.

Wow, that was brutal. I had to leave off a half-dozen movies that in most years would have been absolute locks to make the list, and there are still a few good ones from 1999 I haven't even seen yet like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and The Insider.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Wanted to at least watch a few things before I submit a list for this, so I decided to play it safe and watch acclaimed Best Picture winner American Beauty.

What an awful movie lol

I didn't think it was awful, just mediocre. But having it as the best film of the year seems ridiculous to me in any year, much less such a great year like 1999.

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Wanted to at least watch a few things before I submit a list for this, so I decided to play it safe and watch acclaimed Best Picture winner American Beauty.

What an awful movie lol

no but it's good that Kevin Spacey learned from that movie that trying it with teenagers is Not OK.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What's funny is i read American Beauty was actually considered a "cool" winner back then following the streak of Gump, Braveheart, English Patient, Titanic and Shakespeare in Love. You can see why, yet it's aged way worse than some of those movies.

• Like 1

My top 10 (and not ashamed to admit that I liked "American Beauty" more than most...):

1.  Magnolia

2. American Beauty

3. Office Space

4. Go

5. The Green Mile

6. The Matrix

7. Thomas Crown Affair

8. Fight Club

9. Boy's Don't Cry

10. Election

I... actually still really love American Beauty? I re-watched it a few months ago and its themes still resonate really well, even if it's dated and watching Kevin Spacey in that particular role is now awkward as all hell.

I'm hoping to catch a few more flicks in the days remaining before the deadline, but I have a list I could live with now.

1. The Matrix
  2. Tarzan
  3. Toy Story 2
  4. Life
  5. Galaxy Quest
  6. The Iron Giant
  7. The Sixth Sense
  8. Mystery Men
  9. Pokemon The First Movie
  10. Deep Blue Sea
  11. Stewart Little
  12. Phantom Menace

More than I thought and also less than I thought.

TBH, I feel like just ranking all the films that came out in 1999 would've been easier.

Sent mine in.  American Beauty did not make the list.  

• Sad 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:53 AM, Jake Gittes said:

What's funny is i read American Beauty was actually considered a "cool" winner back then following the streak of Gump, Braveheart, English Patient, Titanic and Shakespeare in Love. You can see why, yet it's aged way worse than some of those movies.

I completely disagree.  American Beauty, imo, is still one of the ten greatest films ever made.  You can hate Spacey all you want but that doesn't take away from the sheer brilliance of American Beauty.