sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

14 minutes ago, a2k said:

Despite strong mid-June/July summer weekdays taking away from weekends, Aladdin has posted 5 sub-30% drops.

Jun 14–16 3 $17,309,154 -29.9% 3,556 -249 $4,868 $264,043,468 4
Jun 21–23 3 $13,244,015 -23.5% 3,435 -121 $3,856 $288,554,143 5
Jun 28–30 4 $10,114,122 -23.6% 3,235 -200 $3,126 $306,632,068 6
Jul 5–7 5 $7,515,649 -25.7% 2,758 -477 $2,725 $320,705,265 7
Jul 12–14 6 $5,873,000
(Estimate)
-21.9% 2,557 -201 $2,297 $331,489,720
(Estimate)

Aladdin might have had the most insane run this year bar Endgame.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

950 ww is more or less certain for TS4

Is on 771 after 20.7 dom weekend and 48.1 os weekend.

54 more dom for 400 total will give it 825.

110-115 more os after a 48.1 weekend + Germany to come will take it to 950.

Hugely profitable film ... Dom itself will give about 240 theatrical returns and OS about 210 for 450 globally with surely huge auxiliary revenue to follow.

Might do 90-100mn in Japan alone. Rest of Overseas shall add $125mn Approx. That gives $640-650mn.

Domestic easy $415-425mn. That will go for $1055-1075.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Might do 90-100mn in Japan alone. Rest of Overseas shall add $125mn Approx. That gives $640-650mn.

Domestic easy $415-425mn. That will go for $1055-1075.

7 Disney films over $1 billion this year. 8 if you want to count the Marvel Studios produced FFH. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a2k said:

Homecoming added about 127 more after a 44+ weekend. That same amount after a 45+ weekend will give FFH 402 dom.

This is why i don't think it will get to 400. It basically has to have HC legs to get there but HC had a very different environment to work with.

HC had to face it's biggest opener in weekend 2 - WotPotA and that was only 56M and then had a 50M Dunkirk in week three. After that it was completely barren until It come out with only a 35M A:C and then mostly sub 20M openers.

FFH had basically no competition this week and was still barely able to outsell HC. This week it is going to have to deal with a 175M+ opener and then in week 4 will have the 2nd week of that movie (likely to be 70+) plus OUaTiH which could be a 30+ and then in week 4 has to face H&S which could open larger than any movie HC had to face. 

it simply isn't going to be able to have HC's legs with a much more competitive environment. HC ended up basically 1M from GOTG. i'd be willing to bet that FFH comes within 2M of GOTG2. By next Sunday if not sooner i expect FFH to fall off the 400M pace (though there is no shame in that.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Hugely profitable film ... Dom itself will give about 240 theatrical returns and OS about 210 for 450 globally with surely huge auxiliary revenue to follow.

It's going to make 110M+ more in Japan alone much less rest of the OS territory and could make as much as 135M there alone. OS total should be close to 200M and probably depending more on continued strong legs but at this point 1B WW is just about locked up.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, DAJK said:

honestly FUCK this expansion. My theatre isn’t playing it and I can’t tell you how many angry phone calls I’ve gotten saying I am “politically biased” and “oppressive”

and will boycott cineplex until they realize they have a 90% marketshare lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No no I mean the actual horror community outside of BOT lol: bloody disgusting, twitter, shockwaves, Blumhouse podcasts, Facebook groups etc. 

Plus, there’s only about 3 horror fans left on this forum now 😂 

what about Seed of Chucky (2004) spyware?

12 hours ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

So in a time in which white actresses can be nudged aside from playing long established white female characters for the sake of diversity, its Scarlet who is tone deaf for not wanting restrictions? When people rush to the defense of Disney casting a black actress for Little Mermaid are they not also asking the same thing by wanting to do away with any preconceived restrictions on who could play what? Or is the selective outrage limited to only white folks who want to benefit from some race-bended casting as well?

I'm African American and a progressive. I have been keeping up with the casting of black people in film and television for nearly 20 years. I even used to write articles at times for a black entertainment website. I say this only as a preemptive strike towards any who would dismiss my two cents by presuming I'm white or I'm a bigot or I'm hardcore right-wing or that I'm all of the above. I'm none of those things. I just can't abide by double standards. And I see such double standards when people cheer on Disney making a movie out of the old, popular novel A Wrinkle In Time and call anyone who question the casting for that film as racist or stuck in the past. When you point out to them how offended they may be if a white actor is chosen for a role meant for a person of color, like Scarlet in Ghost In the Shell, they claim that's different; they act as if appropriation, cultural or otherwise, can only be applied only if white people are doing it.

Last year I was upset to see left-leaning people practically stalk all of Naomi Scott's tweets and Instagram posts because they were upset about her casting as Jasmine in Aladdin. They insulted her and claimed she should walk away from the role because she wasn 't ethnically or racially right for the role in their minds. She was half Indian and thus didn't meet the standards in their eyes. Some even denied that part of her heritage and emphasized how she was white (she is half white). A year later we have people on my side of the political aisle stressing how the casting of a black Ariel doesn't matter because mermaids don't exist and the story was just a piece of fiction written by some European man. Well, Aladdin is also a piece of fiction based upon work by a European man that takes place in a kingdom that doesn't exist. So tell me why the different reactions by the left on social media for these two separate casting decisions? And why is it that the media is doing pushback against those complaining about the casting for Little Mermaid but conveniently remained unaware of all the vitriol that was directed Scott's way when she got the role in Aladdin? Apparently Scarlet Johansson isn't the only who is tone deaf.

We can't ever make up for all the lost time and lost chances of decades worth of Hollywood 's apartheid casting. All we can or should do is give everyone equal opportunities going forward. Equal opportunities means equal treatment too. Thinking it's okay for people of color to go after roles of established white characters because it makes up for past digressions while at the same time frowning on the idea of white people taking roles playing established non-white characters may be understandable. But it is still hypocritical.

What a freaking great post! Thank you! 

11 hours ago, Waffles said:

Ugh, that's lame. I actually haven't been able to make it out to see it yet due to seeing my sister, brother in law and little nephew for the weekend, but I've been wanting to see it ASAP. Looks hilarious!

13 hours ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

So in a time in which white actresses can be nudged aside from playing long established white female characters for the sake of diversity, its Scarlet who is tone deaf for not wanting restrictions? When people rush to the defense of Disney casting a black actress for Little Mermaid are they not also asking the same thing by wanting to do away with any preconceived restrictions on who could play what? Or is the selective outrage limited to only white folks who want to benefit from some race-bended casting as well?

I'm African American and a progressive. I have been keeping up with the casting of black people in film and television for nearly 20 years. I even used to write articles at times for a black entertainment website. I say this only as a preemptive strike towards any who would dismiss my two cents by presuming I'm white or I'm a bigot or I'm hardcore right-wing or that I'm all of the above. I'm none of those things. I just can't abide by double standards. And I see such double standards when people cheer on Disney making a movie out of the old, popular novel A Wrinkle In Time and call anyone who question the casting for that film as racist or stuck in the past. When you point out to them how offended they may be if a white actor is chosen for a role meant for a person of color, like Scarlet in Ghost In the Shell, they claim that's different; they act as if appropriation, cultural or otherwise, can only be applied only if white people are doing it.

Last year I was upset to see left-leaning people practically stalk all of Naomi Scott's tweets and Instagram posts because they were upset about her casting as Jasmine in Aladdin. They insulted her and claimed she should walk away from the role because she wasn 't ethnically or racially right for the role in their minds. She was half Indian and thus didn't meet the standards in their eyes. Some even denied that part of her heritage and emphasized how she was white (she is half white). A year later we have people on my side of the political aisle stressing how the casting of a black Ariel doesn't matter because mermaids don't exist and the story was just a piece of fiction written by some European man. Well, Aladdin is also a piece of fiction based upon work by a European man that takes place in a kingdom that doesn't exist. So tell me why the different reactions by the left on social media for these two separate casting decisions? And why is it that the media is doing pushback against those complaining about the casting for Little Mermaid but conveniently remained unaware of all the vitriol that was directed Scott's way when she got the role in Aladdin? Apparently Scarlet Johansson isn't the only who is tone deaf.

We can't ever make up for all the lost time and lost chances of decades worth of Hollywood 's apartheid casting. All we can or should do is give everyone equal opportunities going forward. Equal opportunities means equal treatment too. Thinking it's okay for people of color to go after roles of established white characters because it makes up for past digressions while at the same time frowning on the idea of white people taking roles playing established non-white characters may be understandable. But it is still hypocritical.

Frankly white guilt by a lot of white liberals can be extremley patronizing at times.

Something a lot of people fail to get on here. 

I rather see far less diversity in Hollywood if the minority actors are given strong central memorable roles then throwing in token 'diversity' in a film to appease the twiier mob. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

7 Disney films over $1 billion this year. 8 if you want to count the Marvel Studios produced FFH. 

Lol. Grace Randoph is still not sure if TLK will hit the billion.

• Haha 8
  • Disbelief 1

38 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

and will boycott cineplex until they realize they have a 90% marketshare lol 

Why is Canada allowing a company to have 90% market share? Isn't that basically monopoly? There's a reason why I don't believe Disney is a monopoly, because the market share of their movies is less than 50% and there are also plenty of studios out there. But this 90% Cineplex share is insane. Isn't there a competition commission in Canada to supervise things like this?

9 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Why is Canada allowing a company to have 90% market share? Isn't that basically monopoly? There's a reason why I don't believe Disney is a monopoly, because the market share of their movies is less than 50% and there are also plenty of studios out there. But this 90% Cineplex share is insane. Isn't there a competition commission in Canada to supervise things like this?

Well its 77.2% http://irfiles.cineplex.com/reportsandfilings/2018/Q1-2018 Investor Deck_FINAL.pdf

However its 100% in my city of Brampton with 622k people with two theaters owned by Cineplex. 

Canada is notorious for having companies control markets on their own or have 2-3 companies dominate the marketshare.

21 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Lol. Grace Randoph is still not sure if TLK will hit the billion.

She also fight on twitter saying IW won't come close to 2 billions lol

She also called Homecoming an underperformer for months, she really doesn't know what she talk

2 hours ago, a2k said:

It will make at least $70m more from Japan.

So doing $45m off a $33m OS-Japan weekend is way too little. More like $65-80m for a $970-985m being really conservative.

$1b is more likely than not at this point. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Seeing as Minions didn't even beat DM2 domestically despite the franchise being at the peak of popularity, I think sub-$300M is definitely happening. Beating DM3 should be the target, and even that I don't think will happen given the domestic downward trend.

DM3 WW-China was almost equal to DM2 WW-China but 19% less than Minions given that China helped DM3 a lot more than Minions. What's your prediction for Minions2 WW?

2 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

DM3 WW-China was almost equal to DM2 WW-China but 19% less than Minions given that China helped DM3 a lot more than Minions. What's your prediction for Minions2 WW?

I'm thinking around $850-950 million WW for Minions 2. $250 million DOM and around $600-700 million OS. Next July doesn't look like it has many big blockbusters, so I don't think the drop will be too bad overall. 

• Like 1