sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

45 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Your opinion, mine differs. My kid loved it and would never watch any other one. She hasn't seen any traditional cbm. Content was absolute geared towards younger folks.

That's completely anecdotal. Plays with the same themes and Spidey's a high school kid just like the other ones outside of a few. Especially just like the two MCU ones. There are kids that love the MCU Spidey stuff and kids that didn't love Spider-Verse. Outside of being animation instead of live action, it's aimed at the identical audience.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Grinch was an underperformer OS though. Saved face with fantastic legs DOM, but otherwise it wouldn’t have done much better than SLOP2 is. Their cheap budgets are really helping them with these last two, but if they start going any lower than SLOP2, even the cheap budgets won’t be enough to be profitable. They really need a fresh shot in the arm. And Minions 2 ain’t it.

To be fair, Seuss properties have never done well OS. Lorax only did about 39% of its business OS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

To be fair, Seuss properties have never done well OS. Lorax only did about 39% of its business OS.

That is not info that helps the anti Illumination crowd 😂😂 but yes, I tried saying that back when it was out and its still true. SLOP 2 though is a headscratcher IMO. Not sure why either the first one over performed so hugely or this one was not firing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

That is not info that helps the anti Illumination crowd 😂😂 but yes, I tried saying that back when it was out and its still true. SLOP 2 though is a headscratcher IMO. Not sure why either the first one over performed so hugely or this one was not firing. 

The first one definitely overperformed hugely. It was sold very well. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Kids movie? Come on, now. I can somewhat understand separating animation and live action within the medium but this is silly. No more a kids movie than any other Spider-man movie ever made.

Well you see if you don't photograph humans in your movie, it's for kids, which is why I am showing my four year old Akira, Heavy Traffic and Sausage Party.

Edited by cannastop
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

9 hours ago, JimiQ said:

What I understand she said: it’s not okay what happened in the past but we are not going to fix it by only hiring minorities for all major roles (the pendulum swing). And I think that’s correct. She is not saying that it (prevalence of minority actors) is happening right now nor that they shouldn’t get all the roles they deserve.

Correct.  And thanks!  

29 minutes ago, narniadis said:

First one had a super marketable hook that no one cared for afterwards imo. I remember watching all the vids for the first one cause the concept itself seemed really interesting but never saw a single trailer for the second one

• Thanks 1

Was there any audience disappointment at SLOP1 just being Toy Story meets Bolt and having mismatched characters get lost and need to get home, rather than focusing on the domestic world itself as the teasers promised? At least when Pixar or WDAS uses that formula nowadays there’s some other new hook to it, but “pets in peril” has been done so many times even before Toy Story established the “CGI buddy comedy” formula.

Edited by TServo2049

4 hours ago, TMP said:

That "#WhateverItTakes" mantra is so weird. Whatever it takes to... help a multi-billion conglomerate film break another record? I can get wanting it to take the record, but phrasing it like it's an obligation for the fans feels pretty gross.

:therethere:

2 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Spidey gets high, while new releases don’t bring a new light. 

Spider-Man Far From Home continues to lead the top spot this weekend. While the two new releases are a mixed bag this weekend. 

Spider-Man Far From Home led the top spot once again with an estimated $45.3 million, and a 2nd weekend drop of 51%. It’s second weekend drop was marginally better than Homecoming’s 62% drop. However that drop was with the release of War Of The Planet Of The Apes opening at this point two years ago. It’s also interesting to note that this is the first Spider-Man solo film to be on the top spot for more than one weekend, since Spider-Man 3! Overall as worldwide is already outgrossing what Homecoming did in it’s entire run and it’s playing quite strong. I wouldn’t be shocked if this comes close to $400 million domestic total. 

Toy Story 4 has held up nicely on the second spot this weekend as it has dropped below 40%. The film should still come close to Toy Story 3’s domestic total, which is quite a rarity for 4th films in today’s day and age.

Crawl debuted with an estimated $12 million. That debut isn’t a big chomper like The Meg(which Deadline brags about at this comparison)or even The Shallows. But keep in mind this is actually a decent start for a film with a $13.5 million budget, I know people will be complaining about how this could’ve been a tent pole or this didn’t have star power etc but c’mon you’re selling a film during hurricane season about a crocodile in a hurricane. Which studios have tried to sell goofy scenarios before like Snakes On A Plane for example and that was considered a box office disappointment and that had a major star selling the movie! Or Crawl’s own director Alexandre Aja with Piranha 3D which sold on the 3D craze more than anything, and it didn’t make a jaw-dropping domestic total but it made a killing overseas. 

Crawl’s debut is a tough comparison as it is on-par with 47 Meters Down. The debut was below Summer 2016’s sleeper The Shallows. Also was below the adjusted $19.4 million debut of the last croc film Lake Placid, the $18.9(or $19 million rounded as it was $18.99) debut of Snakes On A Plane, and a far cry from Aja’s $14 million adjusted debut of Mirrors. It was also similar to the adjusted $11.8 million debut of Piranha 3D. Overall this should make a bite with around $30 million domestic.  

While Crawl will probably be considered an ok start for Paramount, Stuber was not a good or an ok start for Fox. Stuber suffered a flat tire this weekend with an estimated $8 million. That debut is below comparable July R-rated comedy bombs such as Sex Tape. It’s similar to The House from two years ago, which debuted around $8 million as well during a holiday weekend. It’s also below the debut of other buddy comedy bombs such as RIPD or The Nice Guys for example. However it’s close to the debut of CHiPs and some of the other buddy movie bombs like The Glimmer Man for example(without adjusting ticket price inflation). Stuber will probably crash off theaters fast, and make close to $20 million domestic. 

Yesterday still pulling strong for a little movie without big stars. The film should do north of $60 million domestic and be a nice profit for Universal. Aladdin still pulling in strong as it’s $40 million away from $1 billion and is now Will Smith’s highest grossing film domestic! Aladdin should definitely outgross Alice In Wonderland soon. 

Horror films Annabelle Comes Home and Midsommar had decent drops this weekend. Annabelle dropped at 41% and Midsommar close to 46%. Which Midsommar is playing better than It Comes At Night two years ago. $25 million domestic will be a stretch for Midsommar but not a shock, and Annabelle close to $70 million domestic.

Two dead sequels still on the top 10 and holding up ok. Secret Life Of Pets 2 almost $150 million, and should do close to $155 million domestic. Men In Black International is well dead to Sony.... need I say anymore?

Rocketman and Endgame still pulling out strong. Rocketman will sadly fall short of $100 million possibly now, and Endgame will do $855-$860 million roughly.

overall the top 12 this weekend was at $116.4 million this weekend which is down 26% from last year when Hotel Transylvania 3 pulled in a decent amount of cash,  and Skyscraper crashed domestically. 

Annabelle is already on 60 million now after its 3rd weekend. It will do way over 70 million.

I think all that Minions 2 underperforming talk is more wishful thinking. 

At worst I see just a slightly bigger decrease than DM3 WW-China from DM2 WW-China

For some reason people love Minions and BOT is clearly not the target audience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That's completely anecdotal. Plays with the same themes and Spidey's a high school kid just like the other ones outside of a few. Especially just like the two MCU ones. There are kids that love the MCU Spidey stuff and kids that didn't love Spider-Verse. Outside of being animation instead of live action, it's aimed at the identical audience.

https://kids-in-mind.com/s/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-parents-guide-movie-review-rating.htm

It's literally one notch above(meaning older) TS4 in regards to kid friendly about equal to SLOP2. Shazam which was chided for being too childish is way higher on the age scale.

It's not a date movie, it's not a movie I would see with anyone but my family or my kid. Imo of course.

Edited by cdsacken

41 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I think all that Minions 2 underperforming talk is more wishful thinking. 

At worst I see just a slightly bigger decrease than DM3 WW-China from DM2 WW-China

For some reason people love Minions and BOT is clearly not the target audience.

After Despicable Me 3 I'm expecting sub-300 dom for Minions 2.

Edited by Mekanos

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

After Despicable Me 3 I'm expecting sub-300 dom for Minions 2.

Seeing as Minions didn't even beat DM2 domestically despite the franchise being at the peak of popularity, I think sub-$300M is definitely happening. Beating DM3 should be the target, and even that I don't think will happen given the domestic downward trend.