sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SLOP2 has to be the biggest drop gross and percent wise worldwide for an animated sequel right? $875m to $300m. 

It still has some OS gas left (Japan is yet to open), but it's looking at a slightly worse drop than Ice Age 5 from Ice Age 4.

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SLOP2 has to be the biggest drop gross and percent wise worldwide for an animated sequel right? $875m to $300m. 

Only movie I can think of that dropped bigger is Alice 2 (roughly 30% of the first, -700M), animated or otherwise. Illumination fatigue might be setting in.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

I thinks its really silly to claim Illumination fatigue is setting in, when this is literally the first underperformer they have put put.

Minions 2 feels destined to drop big time next year.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

I thinks its really silly to claim Illumination fatigue is setting in, when this is literally the first underperformer they have put put.

Grinch was an underperformer OS though. Saved face with fantastic legs DOM, but otherwise it wouldn’t have done much better than SLOP2 is. Their cheap budgets are really helping them with these last two, but if they start going any lower than SLOP2, even the cheap budgets won’t be enough to be profitable. They really need a fresh shot in the arm. And Minions 2 ain’t it.

5 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I thinks its really silly to claim Illumination fatigue is setting in, when this is literally the first underperformer they have put out.

Hard to call it fatigue with only one movie, but it definitely shows their formula is no longer bulletproof.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Weird that people continue to be so dismissive towards cartoons. Spider-Verse and The Incredibles are fantastic superhero movies.

Never was dismissive. I found it to be fantastic and see it theaters. Liked it almost as much as Incredibles 2. Not quite but close. One of my favorite films.

17 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Only movie I can think of that dropped bigger is Alice 2 (roughly 30% of the first, -700M), animated or otherwise. Illumination fatigue might be setting in.

Holy shit I always forget just how massive a bomb Alice 2 was. 

Absolutely horrendous. 

I knew the first film wasn’t as well liked as first appeared.  

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I love cartoons. They are not CBMs imo. Loved Spiderverse it was a great kids film.

Kids movie? Come on, now. I can somewhat understand separating animation and live action within the medium but this is silly. No more a kids movie than any other Spider-man movie ever made.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Pokemon movies came close. :ph34r:

I hope you’re only counting the first three and not the last two. Those were only released in 200-250 theaters in North America. It’s an unfair disadvantage.

(That said, according to Corpse’s Japanese data, after the first movie’s series-record 6.54 million admissions, each subsequent movie dropped by around a million tickets, so the movie series was contracting in Japan too. But then attendance jumped 67% for film six...)

Edited by TServo2049

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Kids movie? Come on, now. I can somewhat understand separating animation and live action within the medium but this is silly. No more a kids movie than any other Spider-man movie ever made.

Your opinion, mine differs. My kid loved it and would never watch any other one. She hasn't seen any traditional cbm. Content was absolute geared towards younger folks.

Again I loved it like Aladdin. Not looking down on it.

Edited by cdsacken

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No no I mean the actual horror community outside of BOT lol: bloody disgusting, twitter, shockwaves, Blumhouse podcasts, Facebook groups etc. 

Plus, there’s only about 3 horror fans left on this forum now 😂 

It’s cute how you think that you are actually a serious horror fan.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

Spidey gets high, while new releases don’t bring a new light. 

Spider-Man Far From Home continues to lead the top spot this weekend. While the two new releases are a mixed bag this weekend. 

Spider-Man Far From Home led the top spot once again with an estimated $45.3 million, and a 2nd weekend drop of 51%. It’s second weekend drop was marginally better than Homecoming’s 62% drop. However that drop was with the release of War Of The Planet Of The Apes opening at this point two years ago. It’s also interesting to note that this is the first Spider-Man solo film to be on the top spot for more than one weekend, since Spider-Man 3! Overall as worldwide is already outgrossing what Homecoming did in it’s entire run and it’s playing quite strong. I wouldn’t be shocked if this comes close to $400 million domestic total. 

Toy Story 4 has held up nicely on the second spot this weekend as it has dropped below 40%. The film should still come close to Toy Story 3’s domestic total, which is quite a rarity for 4th films in today’s day and age.

Crawl debuted with an estimated $12 million. That debut isn’t a big chomper like The Meg(which Deadline brags about at this comparison)or even The Shallows. But keep in mind this is actually a decent start for a film with a $13.5 million budget, I know people will be complaining about how this could’ve been a tent pole or this didn’t have star power etc but c’mon you’re selling a film during hurricane season about a crocodile in a hurricane. Which studios have tried to sell goofy scenarios before like Snakes On A Plane for example and that was considered a box office disappointment and that had a major star selling the movie! Or Crawl’s own director Alexandre Aja with Piranha 3D which sold on the 3D craze more than anything, and it didn’t make a jaw-dropping domestic total but it made a killing overseas. 

Crawl’s debut is a tough comparison as it is on-par with 47 Meters Down. The debut was below Summer 2016’s sleeper The Shallows. Also was below the adjusted $19.4 million debut of the last croc film Lake Placid, the $18.9(or $19 million rounded as it was $18.99) debut of Snakes On A Plane, and a far cry from Aja’s $14 million adjusted debut of Mirrors. It was also similar to the adjusted $11.8 million debut of Piranha 3D. Overall this should make a bite with around $30 million domestic.  

While Crawl will probably be considered an ok start for Paramount, Stuber was not a good or an ok start for Fox. Stuber suffered a flat tire this weekend with an estimated $8 million. That debut is below comparable July R-rated comedy bombs such as Sex Tape. It’s similar to The House from two years ago, which debuted around $8 million as well during a holiday weekend. It’s also below the debut of other buddy comedy bombs such as RIPD or The Nice Guys for example. However it’s close to the debut of CHiPs and some of the other buddy movie bombs like The Glimmer Man for example(without adjusting ticket price inflation). Stuber will probably crash off theaters fast, and make close to $20 million domestic. 

Yesterday still pulling strong for a little movie without big stars. The film should do north of $60 million domestic and be a nice profit for Universal. Aladdin still pulling in strong as it’s $40 million away from $1 billion and is now Will Smith’s highest grossing film domestic! Aladdin should definitely outgross Alice In Wonderland soon. 

Horror films Annabelle Comes Home and Midsommar had decent drops this weekend. Annabelle dropped at 41% and Midsommar close to 46%. Which Midsommar is playing better than It Comes At Night two years ago. $25 million domestic will be a stretch for Midsommar but not a shock, and Annabelle close to $70 million domestic.

Two dead sequels still on the top 10 and holding up ok. Secret Life Of Pets 2 almost $150 million, and should do close to $155 million domestic. Men In Black International is well dead to Sony.... need I say anymore?

Rocketman and Endgame still pulling out strong. Rocketman will sadly fall short of $100 million possibly now, and Endgame will do $855-$860 million roughly.

overall the top 12 this weekend was at $116.4 million this weekend which is down 26% from last year when Hotel Transylvania 3 pulled in a decent amount of cash,  and Skyscraper crashed domestically. 

July 2019 is now just slight under July 2018 at the same point. 2019 is down from 2018 and 2016 still! It’s on-par with 2017. And ahead of 2015 by a slight and 2014 by a large margin.