TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

Too many shows and the constant leaks and social media coverage is definitely creating a sense of fatigue even amongst the hardcore fans. As in people are getting tired of constantly hearing and talking about the MCU. This will be the 6th movie released in 12 months, plus at least 3 D+ shows. It's way too much content and when the quality is noticeably lower than before it feels like a chore.

I still haven't bought tickets for L&T, and neither has my brother, and we're the target audience that watches every episode on the day of release and every movie on OW. I'm still going to watch it next week, but after the disappointments of Hawkeye, NWH and MoM I'm more wary and concerned than I've been since Phase 2. 

NWH is a disappointment now???

Some of you do too much

Edited by Ryaner90
  • Like 1

A few people laughed at me when I predicted a $130m opening (or less) in the last week or two.  These Tweet responses so far (and let's remind ourselves that many of these are already devoted/hardcore MCU fans) should make clear that the movie is essentially another mixed bag. 

We'll see what happens opening weekend (and 2nd weekend, that will be telling).  

Edited by Macleod
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

A few people laughed at me when I predicted a $130m opening (or less) in the last week or two.  These Tweet responses so far (and let's remind ourselves that many of these are already devoted/hardcore MCU fans) should make clear that the movie is essentially another mixed bag. 

Think the ticket sales are showing a 140m ish opening right now though I could be wrong 

22 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If this “only” opens in the $140 million range, then I think people on this website who were predicting it would claim the July record got a little carried away after NWH. That movie was a special situation. 

I remember when the batman broke the  march ow record

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

And again, i was a fan kid and grew up with this things. If i'm feeling tired, i can easily see this becoming a big problem for more casual audiences.

It feels like there's this certain need of "going big" for every other MCU film now that endgame is over.

Like there's supposed to be an added gimmick to lure people as the franchise's way of "pushing it upwards" to keep the momentum after phase 3.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Macleod said:

So, you read my posts and agreed:)!  Just kidding!  I've been telling Shawn to reduce his tracking for a few weeks - he came down $5M, but I said he had at least another $15M to go:)...

My new thoughts after reviews are to widen my range downward to $120-$150M - I still don't see how this breaks $150M, but I could see downward pressure from it being too much for some GA, so I think $120M is the new $130M for the floor...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This will be the first movie of the OG hero for me where I personally opt to just watch it on tv/digital because of general trajectory of phase 4.

Shang chi was something new but it squanders its potential halfway.

Dr Strange/T challa were the only 2nd gen heroes I was somewhat interested into but Strange felt neglected in front of their own supporting cast in his own movie.

And most of the current future films not feeling too great about them.

Nonetheless I say anything around 150M is pretty solid for a truly solo vehicle , every non Avenger MCU sequel/solo movie i can recall that goes beyond and close to 200 has either some novelty hype factor (BP/CM) or some marketing boosted by choke full of gimmick cameos or atleast rumors of them (DS 2/Civil war)

Edited by NamakFiskKa

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

The problem with the MCU as a relative non-fan who still sees all of them, is that they no longer seem to be building to anything. They are content for content's sake without purpose - not building to something coherent, but not allowed to be free enough to truly break out of the box, either. Thanos cameos may have been annoying at the time but they gave this entire franchise an ethos. A point to build towards. What happens once you literally get past the "Endgame"? Anything else was bound to be anticlimatic outside of the No Way Home stuff (and when they eventually bring in Hugh Jackman and Deadpool, tbh)

Oh they are building towards the next big bad all right.

kang.jpeg

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Some really wild numerical reactions in here to very positive reception 😂

Poor Feige, we finally reach the point where all the 130ish reactions needs to be excellent or he is doomed and the movies are about to flop.

11 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Some really wild numerical reactions in here to very positive reception 😂

I have no idea what is going on, people are acting like it's going the way of Eternals or something.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 2

Some people just take this long awaited-finally come opportunity when MCU (phase 4) seemingly goes in the wrong direction (not as great as other phases quality wise) and little 'messy' to celebrate by concern trolling and create manipulative reaction that they couldn't do it in the past 10 years.

• Like 1

There's more screenings happening right now... just popped on my timeline. They're really showing this movie to everyone possible.

Probably not gonna look for even more reactions tho, we already have way more than usual and it's obviously majority very positive, so i don't think there will be much change at this point. 

• Like 1

Decided to actually compile the early reactions for both this and MoM posted on the BOT threads, there's a very clear difference.

-No one was saying MoM was the best of phase 4, their favorite/top 5 MCU movie, etc.  A lot of reactions for L&T were willing to explicitly state that.

-A lot more of the positive reactions for MoM had minor qualifiers.

-MoM had more mixed and negative reactions than L&T, even though it had half as many reactions total.

So yeah, don't see this getting below 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Like 5