Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

3 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

I hope this press tour NEVER ends

LOL.  The "go fuck yourself" at the end had me rolling.

What is this interviewer even trying to say?  "Looks more realistic" in what way?  Old man Ridley owns.

Also, I don't know how relevant they are, but the National Board of Review named The Last Duel as one of the 10 best films of the year.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 8:21 AM, Merkel said:

Seriously, though, how can anyone watch a movie on their phone?

I open up my app from where I want to watch the movie, I put it in full screen. I make sure that my phone is in landscape. And then I put it up against my desktop monitor and watch it for background noise while I play the Sims. It’s a pretty effective little system I have. And I use it all the time

51 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Also, I don't know how relevant they are, but the National Board of Review named The Last Duel as one of the 10 best films of the year.

The National Board of Review has some historical importance since they have existed since 1909, so being mentioned in that setting helps more than it hurts. It doesn't mean the film becomes an Oscar player yet, but it's a good foundation for the awards season. There were a few films missing the top ten that voters likely just didn't see in time, but Last Duel certainly could have missed anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cap said:

I open up my app from where I want to watch the movie, I put it in full screen. I make sure that my phone is in landscape. And then I put it up against my desktop monitor and watch it for background noise while I play the Sims. It’s a pretty effective little system I have. And I use it all the time

You need at least a second monitor 👀

Just watched this on Disney+ and holy shit did the advertising let this down. I thought it was excellent, far, far better than the other Ridley Scott film from this year. Jodie Comer was fantastic and the last 20 minutes or so had my heart in my mouth. 

That said, I’m not really sure how else they realistically could’ve advertised it, it’s gripping but the subject matter isn’t exactly something you can make look “appealing” for a Friday night at the cinema, especially after the two years we’ve all just had. I feel the film would be getting recognised much more by audiences and awards bodies had it come out in 2019.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Surprised neither Damon nor Affleck have gotten much heat for this flopping. 

I don’t really see why they would, it was received well by critics and the people who actually watched it so it clearly wasn’t a creative fumble on their part. It was just a case of the wrong film at the wrong time coupled with unfortunately weak advertising.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t really see why they would, it was received well by critics and the people who actually watched it so it clearly wasn’t a creative fumble on their part. It was just a case of the wrong film at the wrong time coupled with unfortunately weak advertising.

Am I mistaken or aren’t we in a box office forum…

The box office for this was pitiful for two stars of their caliber

3 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Surprised neither Damon nor Affleck have gotten much heat for this flopping. 

Why would they? Movie was a tough sell to begin with and even then, neither of them is bulletproof at the box office (remember Suburbicon or Live by Night or Runner Runner or Promised Land? Exactly).

• Thanks 1

This movie hasn't left the top ten of streaming in two months and has developed quite the discourse shelf life for itself too - lots of mention in end of year lists. This is on the way to becoming a cult classic (except less "culty" than most, more like Kingdom of Heaven)

• Like 3

I think if this was a streaming exclusively on Netflix or something it would've blown up similar to Squid Game.  With that kind of immediate exposure though it probably would've became a target of reactionary beardtube since their worldview lines up with the medieval clergymen, doctors, and lawyers in this movie more than they'd like to admit.

• Like 2

This ones definitely a Good movie.

Watched it on Disney+ Hotstar few days back.

Doesn't deserve such a disastrous BO result but yea let's face it that's the harsh truth.

Jodie was the star all the way. She showed her vulnerability beautifully in the movie, felt bad what her character had to go through amongst morons. Damon kind of nailed it too and affleck was adequate, however i was disappointed with adam drivers performance.

Beautiful visuals helped to elevate several dramatic scenes overall.

PS: Jodie deserves Best actress and off topic Andrew Garfield for Tick tick Boom!

4 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Am I mistaken or aren’t we in a box office forum…

The box office for this was pitiful for two stars of their caliber

In case you missed it we're in the midst of a global pandemic that still has tens of millions of older and middle aged moviegoers staying out of theaters, as they are the ones most susceptible to the virus. No films aimed solely or largely at adult audiences have done well since March 2020. Even the $75 million House of Gucci, with a ubiquitous marketing campaign that no other drama this year was afforded, is still struggling to drag itself to $50 million domestically and $120 million globally.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this movie is pretty good. but would have been better if it was more ambiguous I think. kinda felt like they had a checklist to make sure they said all the right things so they wouldn't tread on twitters toes but it made it less interesting for me.

This did cross my mind but I'm not sure an ambiguous movie about sexual assault would even get greenlit in the post MeToo Harvey Weinstein era...and if it did, the cast and crew would all get torn up in the reviews, social media, and tons of think pieces.  Ben Affleck and Matt Damon clearly thought the material was dicey enough already for two dudes to be writing it so they brought on Nicole Holofcener to write the truth chapter.

• Like 1

yeah i get why they didn't go that route, before it came out i did see people already mad about this movie because they thought it would be what I want it to be. i'll just chalk it as a missed opportunity. hopefully ridley has a much more problematic directors cut waiting in the wings.