Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

5 hours ago, Eric Madrigal said:

And hey, it gives minority filmmakers a stronger opportunity and bigger accolades. Hollywood is getting better, but it's still a white boy's club in so many ways. Sure, maybe the guy Alpha is quoting might not have worded his idea in the best way, but that's....still a noble cause, and it's disturbing to me that people here just want to mock him because he's being mean to a director you like. Ridley Scott, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon are richer than anybody here will ever be in their lifetimes. You already have dozens of movies from Ridley that you love and cherish. I think you can handle a world where Last Duel's budget was used to fund more daring features from directors of color. Is that idea really a bad thing?

Better movies to target for his "noble cause" than one of the most brutal and incisive portrayal of how society treats sexually assaulted women that Hollywood could've produced. He could've chosen a nothing movie like Jungle Cruise and Space Jam 2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Madrigal said:

But at the end of the day, they can't truly understand what it's like to be a woman or have Latino origins or Black skin. So having these types of films with creatives who have lived through these experiences makes a piece more authentic. That doesn't automatically make a movie work, but it usually makes these kinds of themes more effective. If you want an analogy here, it's the equivalent of a professional chef recommending me a restaurant versus some guy off the street. The chef has a better understanding on what makes good, quality food, and has the knowledge of what's a good, tightly-made restaurant, so why wouldn't I prefer listening to the guy who lives in that environment or experience

And hey, it gives minority filmmakers a stronger opportunity and bigger accolades. Hollywood is getting better, but it's still a white boy's club in so many ways. Sure, maybe the guy Alpha is quoting might not have worded his idea in the best way, but that's....still a noble cause, and it's disturbing to me that people here just want to mock him because he's being mean to a director you like. Ridley Scott, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon are richer than anybody here will ever be in their lifetimes. You already have dozens of movies from Ridley that you love and cherish. I think you can handle a world where Last Duel's budget was used to fund more daring features from directors of color. Is that idea really a bad thing?

Well, it is a really bad thing when in the replies to the same thread, the same guy I quoted goes on to devalue the contributions of a woman filmmaker (who wrote an entire 1/3 of the film, specifically the most important 1/3 of the film that drives home the central themes of the entire story), because he needs to stick to his incredibly reductive take. About a movie he admitted he hasn't even seen!

BTW the "professional chef" analogy you make is a hilarious one, because in this situation the "professional chef who has a better understanding about what makes good, quality food" is OBVIOUSLY Ridley Scott. Someone who no doubt has made a handful of stinkers in the past, but overall has made invaluable contributions to the world of cinema, and has done much more in his career than lame commentators on Twitter with the most tedious criticisms possible.

I think you've gotta give the six-paragraph speech thing a rest dude, you're not that good at it. Ridley Scott might have a point, you all spend too much damn time on your phones

• Like 1

Political correctness may have brought some necessary changed in Hollywood, but this obsession with it is an absolute disaster.

I’ve studied film and tv production, I grew up on pretty diverse films, since I loved to discover films from all over the world. I learned to value a good script above all. I’m also a gay immigrant, living here in LA, and this stupid narrative how only  trans people should act trans people, only POC should make films about POC is annoying and more importantly - it affects and most of the time destroys a quality of a film.

If people think that movies should or need to be moral, we’re living in dark ages. Movies we’re discussing are not educational films shown in schools nor do we live in USSR in the time of agitrprop. Jesus.

And quite frankly, nobody outside the US cares about this nonsense with PC films. Just look at the box office, people are less and less interested in it. It’s boring and regardless of how hard does the left push these “ideas” (or better said terror), people are not willing to watch bad and boring films that have nothing else to offer but so called diverse cast.

Just look at comedies, nothing is funny. People who used to make good comedies are either adapting to the situation or changing careers fearing they don’t get cancelled.

Also if young people in the US think that you can only empathize with experiences you personally had, then the average person is pretty shallow and dumb. There is so many people working in creative teams when the films/tv shows are being made, so not everyone need to be in front of the camera in order to represent a certain group. Unless it’s a racial thing, I don’t see a necessity in Italians acting Italians, gays acting gays… It should be a challenge for an actor to act something that’s not close to his nature. That’s the whole point of acting. I don’t mind though if the actors are authentically portraying something they are in a real life, but it shouldn’t be a must.

The Last Duel is far superior film to 85-90% of Oscar films this year, because it’s well written and acted, and the point that the guy in the tweet made about giving money to a POC filmmaker is so dumb. I mean this is not a charity, it’s a film industry. Lead with good ideas not with multi-cultural postcards that are all style and no substance only for a show off. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Hes not entirely wrong though that Nicole Holofcener was brought in to help write the 3rd act(which is admittedly the best act in the movie)

Funny, I thought 3rd act before the duel was the worst written act and removes all the nuance of the first two. But overall movie is great, I just wish Affleck and Damon wrote the entire thing.

7 hours ago, Eric Madrigal said:

I know this all may sound harsh, but I have to be brutally honest when it comes to stuff like that, regardless of how comfortable folks feel.

Well, you are brutally wrong across the board, Eric, to say the least.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Seriously, though, how can anyone watch a movie on their phone?

Kids watch movies on the phone sometimes but for the most part I think the only people that seriously watch films on the phone do it because they have to rather than they want to.

There's a ton of countries where major streaming services offer a "mobile only" price plan because of how common it is to watch films on a phone.

There's also some countries and rural areas where its common for the phone to be the only screen in the house or the only Internet-connected screen in the house. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The GOAT said:

A movie about sexual assault? .... on Disney+?

Disney+/Star, etc. is branded and marketed differently in territories outside the U.S., and perhaps has different public perceptions.  The problem here is more: why does American Disney+ have such a particular family brand that does not allow for movies dealing with adult material to even show up on the service (i.e. 100s of titles from the 20th Century FOX catalogue).  That is Disney's question and America's problem for buying into it so consistently through the decades.  Disney could be one thing to many people, instead, in America, they want to be one thing to "family films," and nothing to anyone else. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:03 PM, 35MM-18 said:

No love for Kurt Russell's '70s output?

You think Disney could reach back into their library for more then the weak bad comedies they made in the 60's and 70's.

Even Walt did not have a high opinion of the Disney comedies made when he was alive. He thought they were not very good and said so in private., but they were cheap to make and almost all made a profit, which he oculd use to finance the projects he did care about.

And you think they could use the incredibly rich Fox library of films, which supposedly was a main reason they acquired Fox.....

Edited by dudalb