charlie Jatinder

Monday (7/22) Numbers

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

From full weekend? Sure.

From FSS? Doubt it would be much more. Maybe 52%.

Yeah of course I'm talking about the full weekend. I didn't the extra 23 million from previews and I think it drives around 56 - 58%.

• Like 1

Imagine Disney making a shot for shot soulless live action remake of their most beloved animated film and it grosses well over a billion dollars. These live action films will never end. If I was Disney I'd find a way to meld them all together ala Kingdom Hearts or some other kind of Disney Live Action universe cause the money and interest is 100% there.

Even with two rotten scoring live action remakes back to back audiences just don't seem to care what critics have to say. 

Edited by Cappoedameron

This is Endgame’s 88th consecutive day above 250k. Tuesday will make 89, tying Jumanji. As far as I can tell these are the best from the 2010s, let me know if you see anything missing with at least 60 (but especially if I missed a 70+).

Silver Linings Playbook 95

Endgame 89+

Jumanji 89

The King’s Speech 89

Frozen 87

BoRhap 87

BP 80

Lincoln 80

Greatest Showman 75

TA 73

TFA 73

Hidden Figures 73

IW 69

I2 69

WW 69

BatB 68

THG 67

GotG 66

TS3 66

IO 66

TJB 66

Maleficent 66

CM 62

DM2 62

Zootopia 62

gotg2 61

JW 61  

Homecoming 60

Catching Fire 60

SLOP 60

Incredibly it seems that Aladdin (~80?), TS4 (~66?), F2, and TROS could all make a play for this list, making 6 (Disney) movies from 2019 alone!

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-box-office-records-monday-1202651407/

Disney’s The Lion King chalked up the best Monday in July that Disney has ever seen with $21.6M in early estimates

This weekend, Lion King will definitely reign again with industry estimates expecting around a -50% decline for a second weekend of $95M

Industry projections for Lion King‘s final domestic are between $650M-$700M.

(all of this seem very optimistic to me with such minimal info and we all know that we should take this with a HUGE grain of salt, fingers crossed)

i could see 53% to 55% drop in 2nd weekend ... means $86 to $90 M in 2nd weekend..

anything close to $90 M would guarantee $600 M ...

$600 M is awesome & anything above will be the big bonus 

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

I would bet a lot of money that TLK drops significantly more than 50% this weekend. 

Significantly? IDK. Maybe 57%? I don't think it will have staying power, but it's Disney after all. It might perform like an oversized Aladdin. Full disclosure, I haven't seen either and I will not do that in my home town crappy theater, neither I have the time to travel and watch somewhere else. I will catch on theaters an week or two from now. 

1 minute ago, Zatt was right said:

Significantly? IDK. Maybe 57%? I don't think it will have staying power, but it's Disney after all. It might perform like an oversized Aladdin. Full disclosure, I haven't seen either and I will not do that in my home town crappy theater, neither I have the time to travel and watch somewhere else. I will catch on theaters an week or two from now. 

Aladdin's probably heading out of theaters very soon I imagine.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Aladdin's probably heading out of theaters very soon I imagine.

Aladdin was a film that NO ONE believed - myself included - that is about to break $1B WW. Like it or not, Aladdin is a box office success story, and it's bound to get sequels. First Will Smith's $1B film, if I'm not mistaken.

It will still be playing in domestic theaters for the last leg of the Summer, just like Avengers: Endgame, the latter for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

Looking at my 1st local's set this upcoming weekend, I think the rumor of Disney terms being harsh for Lion King is probably true.  Even though TLK never sold out a single showing on the 6 screens last weekend, the theater still has the Lion King set for 6 screens this weekend.  I foresee a lot of empty seats coming...but it means the new opener really didn't get a large set (and now I'm wondering how long these screens need to be held)...and TLK has no excuse to not have a very good hold (could be an ugly box office weekend for year on year comparison if TLK really doesn't hold well)...

• Like 1

Just now, Zatt was right said:

Aladdin was a film that NO ONE believed - myself included - that is about to break $1B WW. Like it or not, Aladdin is a box office success story, and it's bound to get sequels. First Will Smith's $1B film, if I'm not mistaken.

It will still be playing in domestic theaters for the last leg of the Summer, just like Avengers: Endgame, the latter for obvious reasons. 

Would prefer they skip Return of Jafar and go to The King of Thieves, much better film.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Looking at my 1st local's set this upcoming weekend, I think the rumor of Disney terms being harsh for Lion King is probably true.  Even though TLK never sold out a single showing on the 6 screens last weekend, the theater still has the Lion King set for 6 screens this weekend.  I foresee a lot of empty seats coming...but it means the new opener really didn't get a large set (and now I'm wondering how long these screens need to be held)...and TLK has no excuse to not have a very good hold (could be an ugly box office weekend for year on year comparison if TLK really doesn't hold well)...

Disney has a special deal with theaters to hold their films for 3 weeks in their biggest screens. This is their way of making sure their movies stick to the screens while new films from other studios get relegated to second hand screens.

Edited by Cappoedameron

So...my IMAX ten minutes before 1PM showtime:

Lrp0UkD.jpg

I said before Irvine Spectrum not being on the highest theater list is shocking but damn.

There’s construction going on outside the theater, the theater itself is obscured by big boards, so that has to hurt walk ups, but still.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The ol' theory of box office juggernauts sucking the air out of every other big release lives on. 

10 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Imagine Disney making a shot for shot soulless live action remake of their most beloved animated film and it grosses well over a billion dollars. These live action films will never end. If I was Disney I'd find a way to meld them all together ala Kingdom Hearts or some other kind of Disney Live Action universe cause the money and interest is 100% there.

Even with two rotten scoring live action remakes back to back audiences just don't seem to care what critics have to say. 

They don't and they shouldn't. Whether something is good is inherently subjective. We can only measure what is liked.

My family talked about the reviews. They understood them, and didn't really disagree with them - but they ignored them. Their comment was they would have been upset if Disney had made any major changes to the story. I think in the end Disney largely delivered what the audiences wanted, not what the critics wanted.  A couple of my family members have seen the movie twice so far. Both times audiences clapped at the end of the movie - that's about as positive a response you can get at a movie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatt was right said:

The ol' theory of box office juggernauts sucking the air out of every other big release lives on. 

Crawl and Stuber both got dropped to let it keep screen 6...crazy set there...you can see the rest in the main tracking thread...but c'mon...it's a 12 screener and it still has 1/2 the screens for a single film (and only held THREE other movies, all with Disney ties)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RamblinRed said:

They don't and they shouldn't. Whether something is good is inherently subjective. We can only measure what is liked.

My family talked about the reviews. They understood them, and didn't really disagree with them - but they ignored them. Their comment was they would have been upset if Disney had made any major changes to the story. I think in the end Disney largely delivered what the audiences wanted, not what the critics wanted.  A couple of my family members have seen the movie twice so far. Both times audiences clapped at the end of the movie - that's about as positive a response you can get at a movie.

LOL and to think in the 80's and 90's that was the norm.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Crawl and Stuber both got dropped to let it keep screen 6...crazy set there...you can see the rest in the main tracking thread...but c'mon...it's a 12 screener and it still has 1/2 the screens for a single film (and only held THREE other movies, all with Disney ties)...

I think that THR article has it right. In order for smaller films to survive in the new blockbuster landscape, Stuber's ticket can't be the same price as Avengers: Endgame's. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

They have only the little Mermaid (but i don't see it big as The beauty and the beast and the lion king but still over a 1B) and Mulan.

Pinocchio, Snow White, Crudelia, The sword in the stone are more likely to make something between Dumbo and Cinderella (350-550M WW). 

Edited by maxalcamo

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Really not difficult to figure out why it's holding screens with only one new opener projected to open around $40m.   It's PTA would have to drop 90%+ to be as low as what the 3rd highest film of the w/e will be.  It doesn't need to sell out to be more profitable for theaters to keep it as opposed to other films.

1 N The Lion King (2019) BV $191,770,759 - 4,725 - $40,586 $191,770,759 - 1
2 1 Spider-Man: Far from Home Sony $21,202,431 -53.3% 4,415 -219 $4,802 $319,861,843 $160 3
3 2 Toy Story 4 BV $15,551,086 -25.8% 3,750 -460 $4,147 $376,484,435 - 5
4 3 Crawl Par. $6,095,561 -49.2% 3,170 - $1,923 $23,930,371 $13.5 2
5 5 Yesterday Uni. $5,020,835 -25.2% 2,662 -93 $1,886 $57,517,300 $26 4
6 4 Stuber Fox $4,115,279 -50.0% 3,050 - $1,349 $16,197,143 - 2
7 6 Aladdin (2019) BV $4,085,424 -33.8% 2,105 -452 $1,941 $340,326,138 $183 9
8 7 Annabelle Comes Home WB (NL) $2,601,687 -53.7% 1,981 -1,228 $1,313 $66,523,888 - 4
9 8 Midsommar A24 $1,596,447 -56.5% 1,105 -1,602 $1,445 $22,479,475 - 3
10 9 The Secret Life of Pets 2 Uni. $1,535,065 -52.1% 1,380 -940 $1,112 $151,556,230 $80 7
11 11 Avengers: Endgame BV $1,514,741 -28.0% 985 -458 $1,538 $854,531,934 $356 1
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Zatt was right said:

56-58 is significant.

it's not an indictment of the movie itself it's just it had a huge preview number and that can't be discounted. So it's going to have to fall more than 50% especially when the weekdays are going to be so strong

• Like 5