charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (7/23) Numbers

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well I mean, that could be interesting. But those movies aren't exactly juggernauts.

That is true. Though then again...neither were the original AIW & Sleeping Beauty at their time, yet they got big live action remakes.

I could see a Non-Disney live action remake like The Swan Princess (Sony) work great if it’s well-received, beloved by audiences and treated with care & passion.

10 hours ago, cookie said:

I wouldn't call anything that opens to near $200m "irrelevant". These movies clearly have more of a pulse on what moviegoing audiences want than most other films do, otherwise they wouldn't do nearly this well.

Nah, just soulless copies of the highly influential disney movies in the animation movie history. They are derivative, without original ideas, a recognazible style, writing. They are a bland copy of the originals aesthetics with no impact in the industry or to others filmmakers. I mean even bad blockbuster movies like transformers have been influential or roland emmerich films. These remakes are just a one shot experience for most of the people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

$1.4 million away from hitting $170.4 million / a 3x multi. Unbelievable franchise. JW4 coming for $200 million.

It's gonna be so close. Late legs have fallen off. Really thought it would make 171 still absolutely incredible. 

6 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

Nah, just soulless copies of the highly influential disney movies in the animation movie history. They are derivative, without original ideas, a recognazible style, writing. They are a bland copy of the originals aesthetics with no impact in the industry or to others filmmakers. I mean even bad blockbuster movies like transformers have been influential or roland emmerich films. These remakes are just a one shot experience for most of the people. 

And I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with this? Does every film need to be impactful or influential? Can they not just be a good time at the movies? 

I have yet to even see TLK but these "soulless" takes are beyond trite now and one of the reasons I'm glad it's pulling big numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

August seems so dull. Hobbs and Shaw got no buzz. Maybe Dora can break out

August is almost always dull. Hobbs & Shaw may not have the buzz but I'm sure it'll do pretty well (especially overseas) and we'll get one or a couple surprise breakouts, The Kitchen being the obvious candidate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

August seems so dull. Hobbs and Shaw got no buzz. Maybe Dora can break out

I think Hobbs and Shaw has no choice but to break out.  

• Like 2

I just looked over all of August and holy shit is it ever dead.  There's not one film outside of Hobbs and Shaw that will probably clear 50 million.  I guess Dora might but still it looks barren.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I just looked over all of August and holy shit is it ever dead.  There's not one film outside of Hobbs and Shaw that will probably clear 50 million.  I guess Dora might but still it looks barren.

Not much to like there, no. Still a handful of films I plan on seeing.

H&S

The Kitchen

47 MD: Uncaged

Good Boys

London has Fallen

Don't Let Go also looks intriguing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Not much to like there, no. Still a handful of films I plan on seeing.

H&S

The Kitchen

47 MD: Uncaged

Good Boys

London has Fallen

Don't Let Go also looks intriguing.

We're probably seeing Angry Birds 2 during a vacation week late in the month...and if Dora goes cheap enough, my youngest has decided it would amuse him, so I'll spring for tickets with an Atom or TMobile deal:).

We also saw practically every August movie trailer at Aladdin last night.  I was surprised we had another talking dog movie this year - that seems DOA, except the race car angle may save it:)...

But, that all being said, if I had a movie subscription, I'd be so excited by August b/c I'd have options...instead of 6 wide releases for the entire month of July, I'd have 6 in LESS than a week (Aug 9-14) and tons more after...I'd totally make use of 3 movies a week to end the summer b/c most of it is new and original material and most of it is probably just as good as the Disney live action served this summer (having seen Aladdin and knowing that's actually the consensus better option than TLK:)...aka, it won't wow, but it will be serviceable enough:)...and if I wasn't paying...

• Like 1

The Kitchen looks like it should have gone right to streaming.  47 MD will probably do ok and London Has Fallen will more than likely do okay WW but domestically I think it will fall even further than the last one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

We're probably seeing Angry Birds 2 during a vacation week late in the month...and if Dora goes cheap enough, my youngest has decided it would amuse him, so I'll spring for tickets with an Atom or TMobile deal:).

We also saw practically every August movie trailer at Aladdin last night.  I was surprised we had another talking dog movie this year - that seems DOA, except the race car angle may save it:)...

But, that all being said, if I had a movie subscription, I'd be so excited by August b/c I'd have options...instead of 6 wide releases for the entire month of July, I'd have 6 in LESS than a week (Aug 9-14) and tons more after...I'd totally make use of 3 movies a week to end the summer b/c most of it is new and original material and most of it is probably just as good as the Disney live action served this summer (having seen Aladdin and knowing that's actually the consensus better option than TLK:)...aka, it won't wow, but it will be serviceable enough:)...and if I wasn't paying...

Good point about choices. I've gone on record many times here criticizing the lack of releases in July, even though the size of a few them was big. After seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tomorrow it will be the first time I've seen all wide releases featured in a month. Not hard though when there were only six of them, like you said.

August always seems to be this way: almost nothing really big or must-see, but several options for when it's the dog days of summer, you're bored and decide spur of the moment you want to see something. I saw several under those exact circumstances last year (saw all of Christopher RobinThe MegSlendermanBlackKklansmanCrazy Rich AsiansMile 22Alpha and Searching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

The Kitchen looks like it should have gone right to streaming.  47 MD will probably do ok and London Has Fallen will more than likely do okay WW but domestically I think it will fall even further than the last one.

Really? I think it looks great. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

Shame they didn’t save Annabelle or The Crawl for August.  

• Like 1