sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Like, literally. 

maybe they think they can ride on the AEG hype - like use something a bit atypical (for a reason) to help their advertising?

Its the only time-near thing I am aware of that might have given the idea?

I don't remember Marvel ever going after articles for spoilers with Endgame. There were literally videos that spoiled the ending on youtube before it came out lmao 

And honestly if you know Tarantino the ending is not that surprising lol 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, cannastop said:

lol. Tarantino is just going to have to sulk.

He's the reason this is happening, right?

No idea if it's Tarantino or the studio over-reacting on his behalf.  But I do think there is increasing pressure on the part of content producers to tamp down on sites commenting about films.  Not quite as blatant as this, no.  But this was also kinda inevitable with the spoiler-phobic culture that has been accelerating over the last half decade.

And you know what? I get it on the part of creators.  I detest when an article gives away something in a flippin' headline or masks it so poorly that they might as well not have bothered.  Same thing for talking about stuff in the opening couple of paragraphs.  I'll cheer right along side the studios when they get angry at that sort of thing.

But going after responsible sites that are trying to strike a good balance on all of this (Vix also had a spoiler free article on the film in question for what it's worth).  Just short sighted all the way around.

• Like 1

Broke: “If we get this article changed, fewer people will know the ending and they’ll have to see the movie in theaters instead”

Woke: “we know there’s no way they’d change it, but if they complain about the request it’s free media for the movie”

44 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I don't remember Marvel ever going after articles for spoilers with Endgame. There were literally videos that spoiled the ending on youtube before it came out lmao 

And honestly if you know Tarantino the ending is not that surprising lol 

Endgame had simultaneous worldwide release, and a lot of anti-spoiler campaign that were motivated by the fans themselves or self-initiate rush to see it as early as possible or avoid reading material online .

While most of the territory only have OUTIHs opening in mid-August, including QT and Leo's powerhouse Europe. It is understandable that studio leading the anti-spoiler movement given there is no one cares to avoid spoiler.       

5 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Well. Well. Well.

17 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I guess 17 14 11

20 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

75-80 I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Deadline numbers are late enough they should be about right for Fri. Final nail in the coffin for 400M FFH and 360M Aladdin (without Labor Day action)

yeah i think that aladdin hits 350-355 , as for ffh i will still wait to see the late legs before i say someting certain

ps i could see sony push ffh if its close to 400 dom

Edited by john2000

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I think that's a pretty good grade for OUATIH all things considered, since it's a slow, nearly 3 hour plot-less comedy

Its closer to 2.5 hours than 3 hours.

do you know which movie is real 3 hours and its CS?

• Haha 1

Anything over $40m is great for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Also, yes Crawl with the best hold of the wide releases in the top 10! 

That drop for Lion King would be the third worst hold for one of these just behind Alice 2/ Dumbo (58% and 61%) I think it’s multiplier will be much better than Deadline is guessing. Can’t see it falling below $85m. 

THUMB RANK FILM DIS. SCREENS (CHG) FRIDAY(VS. PREV FRI) 3-DAY TOTAL WK
  1 Lion King Dis 4,725 $22.7M (-70%) $78M (-59%) $353.2M 2
  2 Once…H’wood Sony 3,659 $16.7M $41M $41M 1
  3 Spidey…Home Sony 3,851 (-564) $3.3M (-45%) $11.8M (-44%) $344M 4
  4 Toy Story 4 Dis 3,610 (-140) $2.9M (-38%) $9.7M (-37%) $395.5M 6
  5 Crawl Par 2,720 (-450) $1.1M (-37%) $3.9M (-36%) $31.3M 3
  6 Yesterday Uni/WT 2,550 (-112) $843K (-39%) $3M (-40%) $63.3M 5
  7 Aladdin Dis 1,798 (-307) $759K (-37%) $2.6M (-38%) $345.7M 10
  8 Stuber Dis/Fox 2,150 (-900) $485K (-58%) $1.7M (-58%) $20.1M 3
  9 Annabelle 3 WB 1,287 (-694) $482K (-41%) $1.5M (-41%) $69.7M 5
  10 The Farewell A24 135 (+100) $430K (+25%) $1.4M (+26%) $3.6M 3

https://deadline.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-box-office-lion-king-weekend-1202654606/

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Anything over $40m is great for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Also, yes Crawl with the best hold of the wide releases in the top 10! 

That drop for Lion King would be the third worst hold for one of these just behind Alice 2/ Dumbo (58% and 61%) I think it’s multiplier will be much better than Deadline is guessing. Can’t see it falling below $85m. 

LOL even $80M is not happening $75/79M is the range.