Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Cinemas make more money from the food and drink than they do from the films they exhibit.

Not in the United State according to the annual report of movie theater chain, despite the much higher margin in absolute number it tend to be smaller than money from ticket sales, looking at Cineworld 2017 report:

https://www.cineworldplc.com/~/media/Files/C/Cineworld-PLC/reports-and-presentations/cineworld-ar17-180405.pdf

50% retention rate on the ticket sales give an significantly higher figures than 100% of the food&beverage sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 Mary Poppins Returns 2018/12/21 £ 7,441,687 £ 23,243,909 Walt Disney Int'l
2 Bumblebee 2018/12/28 £ 5,081,861 £ 5,103,382 Paramount Int'l
3 Aquaman 2018/12/14 £ 2,445,108 £ 14,353,312 Warner Bros Int'l
4 Holmes And Watson 2018/12/28 £ 1,418,030 £ 1,418,030 Sony Int'l
5 Ralph Breaks The Internet 2018/11/30 £ 1,269,357 £ 13,266,916 Walt Disney Int'l
6 Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 2018/12/14 £ 1,015,505 £ 5,878,855 Sony Int'l
7 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 2018/11/9 £ 753,537 £ 26,624,487 Universal Int'l
8 Bohemian Rhapsody 2018/10/26 £ 656,641 £ 47,178,811 Fox Int'l
9 Fantastic Beasts: Crimes Of Grindelwald 2018/11/16 £ 551,938 £ 32,661,577 Warner Bros Int'l
10 Creed II 2018/11/30 £ 411,795 £ 9,090,207 Warner Bros Int'l
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

LAST WEEKEND'S BOX OFFICE GROSSES: 1 - Mary Poppins Returns (£7.4m) 2 - Bumblebee (£5m) 3 - Aquaman (£2.4m) 4 - Holmes & Watson (£1.4m) 5 - Ralph Breaks The Internet (£1.3m) is still No.1 at the box office with a drop of only 10% from last weekend.

• Like 2

TUESDAY: 1 - Mary Poppins Returns 2 - The Favourite 3 - Bumblebee 4 - Aquaman 5 - Ralph Breaks The Internet Happy New Year from the Comscore Movies Team!🙂

• Like 2

Was the 2nd part already be in the know?

NEWS FROM THE UK & IRELAND RELEASE CALENDAR: • There will be a re-issue of Bradley Cooper's A Star Is Born (in 2D and IMAX) on 11th January 2019 • You Are My Friend, a drama starring Tom Hanks, has been renamed to A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

3 hours ago, Wotad said:

My Cinema really hates Aquaman why cant it give 1 Imax screen back already im so annoyed my car broke down so couldnt watch imax on last day. 

Cineworld IMAX screens seem to be going with Bumblebee next week, and with A Star Is Born getting a totally needless IMAX release on the 11th, I highly doubt they’ll be putting Aquaman back in IMAX.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Cineworld IMAX screens seem to be going with Bumblebee next week, and with A Star Is Born getting a totally needless IMAX release on the 11th, I highly doubt they’ll be putting Aquaman back in IMAX.

My Cineworld's have no Imax so only empire here and they are just split between MP and Bumblebee

4 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I can't see ASIB being a full takeover for a week, it's run is pretty much over. The advantage over here compared to the US by the sounds of it is that we get screen shares in imax a lot more often. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just ASIB for a week, that’s normally the case when it’s one of those “for one week only” stunts. ASIB is re-expanding next week too, presumably to keep it fresh in the minds of BAFTA voters.

Either way, it’s highly unlikely that they’d put Aquaman back in IMAX at this stage, it came out 4 weeks ago and as has been mentioned before, it didn’t exactly warrant holding onto the IMAX screens in the first place from a box office perspective, as it wasn’t anywhere near close to selling out after the first weekend. The UK hasn’t welcomed the film quite as warmly as the US and China seem to have.

I’d imagine it’ll be ASIB exclusively for a week, and then Glass will be taking over.

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Mine already has Aquaman back in IMAX. I think they're judging demand individually - not necessarily for AQM as a potential for selling out shows, but it could be that the other movies aren't doing well in IMAX so they're splitting the shows among two-three movies, to maximise potential. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Mine already has Aquaman back in IMAX. I think they're judging demand individually - not necessarily for AQM as a potential for selling out shows, but it could be that the other movies aren't doing well in IMAX so they're splitting the shows among two-three movies, to maximise potential. 

The same applies to 4DX which is being split between Aquaman and Bumblebee. I also think that Aquaman being in ScreenX means that that it's in more formats than Bumblebee so they can justify Bumblebee in IMAX. 

ASIB in IMAX probably is Warner Bros' way to get it to £30m.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The same applies to 4DX which is being split between Aquaman and Bumblebee. I also think that Aquaman being in ScreenX means that that it's in more formats than Bumblebee so they can justify Bumblebee in IMAX. 

ASIB in IMAX probably is Warner Bros' way to get it to £30m.

I didn't think to check yesterday to see how many showtimes there are overall for it,  so I can't properly compare, but looking at London's Cinewolrds, it seems like some of them have quite a few showtimes. No IMAX, but 4DX, ScreenX and 2Ds - I think maybe a couple of the big cinemas actually added 1-2 showtimes, even if they're not IMAX. Again, maybe I'm wrong, just an impression...

Just now, reddevil19 said:

I didn't think to check yesterday to see how many showtimes there are overall for it,  so I can't properly compare, but looking at London's Cinewolrds, it seems like some of them have quite a few showtimes. No IMAX, but 4DX, ScreenX and 2Ds - I think maybe a couple of the big cinemas actually added 1-2 showtimes, even if they're not IMAX. Again, maybe I'm wrong, just an impression...

I think Bumblebee and Aquaman have similar number of showtimes, Bumblebee has 1-2 more but it's a shorter film compared to Aquaman so they can squeeze in more showtimes. 

Clearly Aquaman and Bumblebee have done well over Christmas to justify getting the PLFs back from Mary Poppins.

So Mary Poppins is around £34.3m now, about £11m in the past week. 

School holidays are over now which will mean minimal business during the weekdays, but it should continue to do well on weekends. Probably looking at a total around £45m. 

Good to see Aquaman recovered a bit over the holidays, hopefully it can leg its way to $30m.

• Like 7

The Favourite had a very strong opening although I assume that's including the money made from its limited release as well. 

Aquaman is only £1.8m away from £20m and given next week it's only Stan and Ollie and Collette, should have a good drop. 

• Like 1