Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: It 2 40.74 (-55%), Hustlers 33.23 (Record for STX and J-Lo), Goldflop 2.64 (LOL)

29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I read the book synopsis for Goldfinch and still can't understand why anyone thought it would make a commercial movie.

Cause the book was a bestseller. One of the main reasons why so many books get adapted into movies. Of course, that obviously doesn't translate to box office success every time (as this movie is especially proving).

That's a totally shocking opening for Hustlers.  Good seeing a film that looked kind of generic do well.  

I'm glad IT had a good hold.  Still hoping for 240 dom and hopefully more than 650 WW.

Goldflop....i mean, the box office is so unpredictable.  But at the same time, i didn't see or hear any kind of advertising for this film.

Good Boys looks like it's going to ruin my club, kit is heading to more than 80 million, and that's great!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

43M?! These people are insane lmao.

They’re just forgetting the 13th. So did BOP, I think. Easy mistake to make since they only come like twice a year, sometimes there isn’t even a horror out to get affected, it’s not an actual holiday, and it always happens on the day with the biggest expected daily bounce anyway.

Edited by Thanos Legion

20 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

They’re just forgetting the 13th. So did BOP, I think. Easy mistake to make since they only come like twice a year, sometimes there isn’t even a horror out to get affected, it’s not an actual holiday, and it always happens on the day with the biggest expected daily bounce anyway.

No one yesterday belive a jump of 150%, and guess what. 220%

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

No one yesterday belive a jump of 150%, and guess what. 220%

Which is in synch with the other Horror films playing right now as far as being out of step with the norm. Which as someone else already pointed out, if IT2 follows the Friday the 13th weekend pattern from IT1 it won't increase much today and drop like normal hard on Sunday.

It is the the one aspect of Box office that we don't generally take into consideration when making predictions - I certainly didn't and the film overall has NO reason to be over 200% on a Friday - except as the horror crowd comes out for their "holiday."

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

If IT follows the last one and increases by even 30% today, it could still hit 40 million.

Yeah, really curious to see how it works. IT #1's F13 saturday was up up 34% which was it's lowest Saturday increase while in wide release. 2nd lowest was just under 35% on weekend 2 - the rest of the weekends were great 40-60% on Saturdays. Will be very interesting to see how it all balances.

• Like 1

It 1 Saturday the 14th was x1.34 the Friday. Both adjacent Saturday’s were x1.6, so the 14th was about 5/6ths what you might have guessed if you just forgot about the 13th.    

Without the 13th I was thinking a 35-45% Sat bump, so with it I’m expecting just 12-21%.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Alli said:

What Went Wrong: The Goldfinch edition.   

Did Warner expect good reviews? Why did they premiere the movie at TIFF? Reviews completely decimated the movie.

Bad reviews outside of TIFF would have killed it anyway.   Showing it at TIFF gave it chance if audiences liked it that it could build some WOM.

That budget though - $45m before P&A.  OUCH.  Outside of X-Men that might be the biggest  studio loss so far this year.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:
2 Hustlers $32,000,000 3,250 $9,846 $32,000,000 1 Annapurna

They wish, lol

I wonder how feel that they had the drama movie event of the year on their hands and let it go to STX.

Looked up what Annapurna released this year instead: Missing Link, Booksmart, Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Hustlers will make more than them combined in about a week and a half, oh well, sucks for them.

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I read the book synopsis for Goldfinch and still can't understand why anyone thought it would make a commercial movie. I still don't know WTF I read. Even The Rock can't save every movie (Baywatch was certainly a more commercial premise than Goldfinch). 

The Goldfinch won a Pulitzer Prize and was a bestseller, WB probably hoped it'd get nominated/win awards and make money that way. At least it will make a good episode for the This Had Oscar Buzz podcast, probably their fastest turnaround ever. Not much for WB in that, lol.

And yes, there were some Gaga fans review-bombing Venom, not a majority, but the crazy stans give everyone else a bad name:

Venom vs A Star Is Born ended up being one those rare box office examples where (domestically, anyway) the movie that won the opening weekend face off lost the ultimate battle and finished with less despite the huge head start. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Having seen it this afternoon, I'm completely convinced that The Goldfinch should have been a TV miniseries rather than a movie. It tries to do too much even for a 2.5-hour movie and there's just not enough breathing room for everything to stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Bad reviews outside of TIFF would have killed it anyway.   Showing it at TIFF gave it chance if audiences liked it that it could build some WOM.

That budget though - $45m before P&A.  OUCH.  Outside of X-Men that might be the biggest  studio loss so far this year.

Warner Bros won't lose much from The Goldfinch as most of the budget was covered by Amazon Studios, least they had the foresight to get a co-financier to reduce the risk. 

I imagine WB are a bit nervous about Motherless Brooklyn which has good but not great reviews. Out of their fall dramas, Just Mercy looks like it has the best chance of being successful. 

Edited by Jonwo

5 hours ago, baumer said:

That's a totally shocking opening for Hustlers.  Good seeing a film that looked kind of generic do well.  

I'm glad IT had a good hold.  Still hoping for 240 dom and hopefully more than 650 WW.

Goldflop....i mean, the box office is so unpredictable.  But at the same time, i didn't see or hear any kind of advertising for this film.

Good Boys looks like it's going to ruin my club, kit is heading to more than 80 million, and that's great!

When I went to Florida last month I saw about 4-5 tv ads for the Goldfinch. And nothing since that 

• Like 1