sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Deadpool 2 kept almost 100% of the first one's audience worldwide, It 2 less than 2/3. The former would be a strong result for any sequel to an overperformer.

Deadpool 1 was so much better. That stupid scene where everyone on the team died was a bit ridiculous

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Xftg123 said:

If Joker actually ends up grossing 1B or past Deadpool 2, then that'd definitely be the best way for WB to finish off with a big release in 2019.

Well it's definitely going past 900 at least, with 1B looking pretty good to me with current OS nums.   

Interestingly WB also has the best R performance of the millennia... and then number 2 is Newmarket :rofl:

I know post Pika Pika (and to a slight extent TLK) people are somewhat skeptical of trailer view counts, but sakes alike, the Frozen 2 trailer is just kicking all sorts of ass.  The official trailer released four months back has now hit 82 million views, nearly doubling the view count of the teaser.  And that's just on the main WDAS channel.

I'm telling y'alls, I think Frozen 2  is gonna easily blow by the first one and has a very decent chance of blowing by 500m.  I personally have been pegging it for around 550 to 575* and I'm a little nervous I might be lowballing it.

* Admittedly as the optimistic call

NOTE:::: The above is a gut-level read not based on any sort of hard data or tracking.  The first target is really 500m (if not 450m).  Anything above 500m is simply me looking at all the stars aligning and going "holy shit".

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I watched Jaws last night for first time, I don't know if it failed test of time, but I wasn't as impressed as rest of world.

I fail to understand how it become the biggest grosser of all time in US.

You would very probably say something entirely different if you were born young enough to see it in theaters.

Long story short, Jaws came out at a time (1975) when there was no such thing as a summer blockbuster. It kickstarted that idea and had all the ingredients of a phenomenon: Great story, great characters, great acting, great music. Today, a lot of things seem of course dated and a bit cliche, but Jaws is kind of the grandfather of many movie cliches for that reason.

That film made millions of people forever afraid of swimming in the ocean. Ask @baumer as he (i believe) actually saw it back then in theaters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I watched Jaws last night for first time, I don't know if it failed test of time, but I wasn't as impressed as rest of world.

Time frame my friend, it was an unseen type of film back in the day. Too many copycats and stock tropes today to give it the same level of greatness to new watchers. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I think it's more generational than geographic. I watched it for the first time maybe half dozen years ago, found the special effects were so outdated and obvious that I couldn't get immersed, and therefore wasnt scared of the shark at all, and wasnt emotionally connecting to the characters at all. Like... 5/10 from that experience. But if I watched it 40 years earlier I assume I would have been more like "oh my god, incredible, never seen anything like this, that had some really tense scenes!" and remember it fondly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Joker 8.25

Zombies 7 + 2.8 ~ 9.8-9.9

Wicked Fairy 10 + 2.3 ~ 12.25-12.5

Less than +100 for Joker? Still a strong 3rd weekend, but I don't think it's on track to break up the Disney made top 8 anymore if that number sticks. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Gone with the Wind hasn't exactly aged well either...   

Movies are (admittedly, to varying degrees) a product of their time, what clicks in the 30s or the 50s or the 80s wont necessarily click in the same way for newer audiences. Nothing wrong with that. MCU might not click with people born in 2030 or something, but it's not really being made for them. It's being made for us.   

• Like 3