sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

Here's a good drop percentage comparison (Fridays):

Comparisons (Fridays) :

-Venom: -48% (October 19th)

-Bohemian Rhapsody: -49.1% (November 16th)

-Logan: -54.8% (March 17th)

-Gravity: -28.4% (October 18th)

-Deadpool 2: -44.7% (June 1st)

-Justice League: -72.4% (December 1st)

-Deadpool: -45.3% (February 26th)

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I would, but it's R-rated, and I'm not allowed to do those for a kids'/teen movie club:)...let alone getting over 3 hours for the multipurpose room (it's why I can't do Titanic, either...which would have been in my top choices, even if I had to force my kids to watch it:)...

Sad that teenagers can't be shown a great historically important film b/c horrific things happened to people - many  far younger than they are.  With what's going on in the world today films like Schindler's Lists should be shown in school today for at least ages 12 and up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think they mean the people who were cautious about seeing it opening weekend, saw it on the second weekend which is why it had a great drop last weekend and this weekend is more standard.

There were also some things online during its second weekend that might've helped (ex: SNL Grouch skit)

The only things regarding Joker I've seen online this week were the secret Starbucks drink, some news on the film, and that's mainly it.

7 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Here's a good drop percentage comparison (Fridays):

Comparisons (Fridays) :

-Venom: -48% (October 19th)

-Bohemian Rhapsody: -49.1% (November 16th)

-Logan: -54.8% (March 17th)

-Gravity: -28.4% (October 18th)

-Deadpool 2: -44.7% (June 1st)

-Justice League: -72.4% (December 1st)

-Deadpool: -45.3% (February 26th)

At this point, Deadpool 2 & Thor 3 are the reasonable comparison. Both did 20m+ range in their 3rd week and have their total gross at 250m range as of 3rd weekend.  

Just now, titanic2187 said:

At this point, Deadpool 2 & Thor 3 are the reasonable comparison. Both did 20m+ range in their 3rd week and have their total gross at 250m range as of 3rd weekend.  

Deadpool 2 was at $254.5m after the 3rd w/e and in June with schools most out. 

Thor 3's 3rd at $247m was slammed by JL opening -  but after that was Thanksgiving week

Closest comparison from here on out might be It.  Had a 3rd w/e drop of 50% with $29.7m - though it's 3rd w/e total should be about $20m higher than Joker.

Looks like Disney's gonna have to give Maleficent 2 the A Wrinkle in Time treatment to get it past $100M. Overseas will need to pull through but their hits are big enough that they can afford to take an L every now and then.

Strong launch for Zombieland 2 considering belated sequels tend to be more miss than hit. Kinda goes to show that it likely would've been a big deal had it arrived 7-8 years ago.

Joker's buzz is starting to cool down a bit as time goes on so I'm not surprised the grosses are beginning to reflect that. Doesn't change the fact it's a massive hit.

Parasite is becoming something of a beast. Great start for Jojo Rabbit. Also pretty good for The Lighthouse although I'm guessing it won't fare too well when it goes wide-ish next week.

5 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

I do wonder how Maleficent 2 is going to do during November, seeing how Disney's streaming service, Disney+, comes out on the 12th, it either will or probably will not effect the film.

That'll be it's 4th w/e so I don't see why it would hurt it though I guess some people could see the first on Disney+ and then maybe want to see M2.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looks like Disney's gonna have to give Maleficent 2 the A Wrinkle in Time treatment to get it past $100M. Overseas will need to pull through but their hits are big enough that they can afford to take an L every now and then.

Strong launch for Zombieland 2 considering belated sequels tend to be more miss than hit. Kinda goes to show that it likely would've been a big deal had it arrived 7-8 years ago.

Joker's buzz is starting to cool down a bit as time goes on so I'm not surprised the grosses are beginning to reflect that. Doesn't change the fact it's a massive hit.

Parasite is becoming something of a beast. Great start for Jojo Rabbit. Also pretty good for The Lighthouse although I'm guessing it won't fare too well when it goes wide-ish next week.

The Lighthouse is going wide next weekend? How wide are we talking?