sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Jurassic World and The Lion King... 

Animated is what I stated.

Funny thing is someone pointed this out on the box office subreddit regarding both The Lion King and Jurassic World, more so the Dinos vs Lions since the beginning:

-Jurassic Park did 914M WW in 1993, making it the highest grossing film of all time in that year

-The Lion King came the year after and did 763M WW, making it the highest grossing film of all time in that year and 2nd behind Jurassic Park

-Jurassic World released in 2015 and did 1.671B at the box office. The Lion King (2019) ended up doing 1.653B. Currently, JW is the 6th highest grossing movie of all time, while The Lion King is the 7th

• Like 1

Mal estimate was characteristically a joke, Joker estimate was solid. Don’t see much worth tracking from now til 22nd tbh, but if it’s low opportunity cost the updates are always nice.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

Animated is what I stated.

Well, no, you didn't. The bemused question was "is 200 OW even possible if you're not SW/MCU?", to which you replied with The Incredibles. The point still stands that it's very possible, especially with a big IP. And TLK is very much animated. No one can convince me to call the 2019 movie live action. And I do think this should be the kind of discussion guilds and AMPAS has moving forward. There needs to be a new category of movie - photo-realistic animation or something.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The trades are really piling on WB. 

“Doctor Sleep sends Hollywood Into a panic” 

for losing a guess of $20m. 

Despite Terminator losing $130m+ last weekend. No panic. 

I'm guessing its because people in the industry actually liked Doctor Sleep and wanted to see it do well.

Warners was so keen on Doctor Sleep that movie studio chief Toby Emmerich had already struck a deal with director Mike Flanagan and his Intrepid Pictures to script a sequel whose working title is Hallorann, drawn from the character who appears in both The Shining and Doctor Sleep.

Box office analysts say Doctor Sleep ran too long (roughly 151 minutes) and that many members of the millennial and Gen Z generations aren't necessarily familiar with The Shining (1979), which was directed by Stanley Kubrick and starred Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall.

"The Shining, despite being a cult classic, just doesn’t have traction with younger audiences. Thirty-nine years was just too long between sequels," says Jeff Bock of Exhibitor Relations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-doctor-sleeps-dismal-14m-debut-terrifies-hollywood-1253734

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm guessing its because people in the industry actually liked Doctor Sleep and wanted to see it do well.

it's a solid movie imo. Haven't seen Terminator but that looked like more CGI goop

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

When a film flopped and it's bad, the studio can shrug it off, it hurts a lot more if a film is good and it doesn't perform.

A similar happened to The Shawshank Redemption, critically acclaimed but nobody went to see it, it later gained a life through rereleases, video and TV. While I don't think Doctor Sleep will be the new Shawshank, it'll have a healthy home viewing life especially since next year is The Shining's 40th anniversary, 

• Like 2

What bugged me about Midway was that the editing sorta killed it. And the fact that it tried to follow too many characters. Individual scenes were great, some of the most mature stuff Emmerich has ever done. But it jumps around through time periods and through different characters with editing that doesn't allow it to flow properly, and the entire movie fells jarring as a result so you do not get any emotional payoff for any of the characters by the time the actual battle begins.

While this issue is a pretty big one for me, the movie was solidly crafted otherwise. Individual scenes themselves are great, and the battle scenes are very intense, and most of the performers do a good job. However, the editing and attempts to follow too many characters are probably going to relegate this to Pear Harbor levels rather than elevate it to one of the great modern war movies. 

• Like 1