TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

6 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Well under, trailer views are not even close to DP3, plus Joker skews much more OS than the Deadpool movies.

I would not compare these 2 movies. Even if they are both comic book, Audience base for 1st movie was not atypical CB movie. There are no CGI money shots or action sequences. It was a character drama. So I would not just look at trailer comps here. 

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would not compare these 2 movies. Even if they are both comic book, Audience base for 1st movie was not atypical CB movie. There are no CGI money shots or action sequences. It was a character drama. So I would not just look at trailer comps here. 

First movie had huge trailer views though, I think it did worse domestically than you would expect with the kind of buzz it had. The franchise skews very heavily OS whereas Deadpool is relatively Dom heavy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

I don't think you get what the term means. To me, tryhard means trying to seem more important than you actually are.

So then,  in your subjective opinion that's different than everyone else's,  what exactly was "try hard" about the trailer?  What are they doing that's supposed to be "important" but is not important... 

1 hour ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

One big hit doesn't make Joker more popular than Batman lmao. Let's see how much a solo Joker movie will do when he's had as many as Batman has.

Again, you can't make as many Joker solo films as Batmans because he's a bad guy, you can't do a procedural structure here, but the character is definitely more popular than Batman. Suicide Squad box office was carried by him, a much better sequel dropped like a rock as soon as he left. The Dark Knight had this massive increase over Begins precisely because of Joker. Tim Burton's Batman did what it did because of Joker. The Batman didn't even cross 800 mln despite glowing reviews, he gave nothing to Justice League and it flopped. Numbers are numbers, can't argue with them.

Edited by Firepower

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

The Batman didn't even cross 800 mln despite glowing reviews

It would have easily crossed $800M and beyond if they didn't announce and then put it up on HBO Max 45 days after release.  

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Well under, trailer views are not even close to DP3, plus Joker skews much more OS than the Deadpool movies.

DP3 trailer views are inflated by the Super Bowl. Whereas J2 is deflated by releasing a teaser earlier in the day.

Anyways, trailer views are irrelevant to box office. Transformers ROTB had some of the highest trailer views of all time.

Joker 2 has a decent shot at outgrossing DP3 domestically IMO. Even with the OS skew, Joker still outgrossed DP2. I think both will see good increases.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

First movie had huge trailer views though, I think it did worse domestically than you would expect with the kind of buzz it had. The franchise skews very heavily OS whereas Deadpool is relatively Dom heavy.

Jesus Christ. You're rewriting history to somehow suggest it underperformed domestically???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Geez, you guys hate Joker more than you hate Mario! Who's the third in the Unholy Trinity for y'all?

Who the heck is "hating" on Joker here (outside of Eric, that is)?

• Haha 1

I mean, I know this is the internet and all where the everything is exaggerated out the wazoo for effect, but "Batman is more popular than Joker, actually" seems to me to be a relatively anodyne take.

On the "hotness" scale, it's only slightly more of a hot take than the bog boring bell pepper is on the hot pepper scale.

*checks*

Say, the pepperoncinis of hot chili pepper takes.

Now posting that in this thread?  Okay. Maybe we're now rising to maybe the Anaheim or Poblano chili peppers.  But even that isn't touching a Jalapeño pepper, never mind anything hotter.

Edited by Porthos

6 hours ago, James said:

I think that pre-trailer teaser with Joker laughing in the rain actually hurt the trailer views of the actual trailer. For example on Twitter on the DiscussingFilm page the pre-trailer has 31m views in one day and the trailer has 12m in 15 hours.

They can just roll these together like what Disney did with Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes to get that sweet 100M views headline 

except in the case of Joker, more like 4x that lmao

11 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

i mean I can up my hating game if needed

Would probably be best for the thread if you didn't/. 😉

===

Not "hating", but speaking of the pre-announcement trailer, after thinking about it, the laughing in the raining shot is about the only part of the trailer that didn't work for me.

Can't quite put my finger on it.  Wasn't gratuitous, per se.  Wasn't even "try hard", though if I felt like being edgy, I'd use it as an example.

Just...

Sticks out like a sore thumb to practically everything else.

If it worked for whoever is reading this post, great for you. And maybe in the context of the film, it's fantastic.  But I have to tell you that was the ONE shot in practically the entire trailer that I felt was waaaaaaaaay too stereotypical.  Maybe too "on the nose".  Ah hell, let's just go with excessive.

If everything else felt like a breath of fresh air, or at least something interesting and intriguing that was just a big barrel of blah for me.