Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

Just now, Nova said:

These numbers would be depressing 

:whosad:

its deadline. what did you expect. they will be conservative with low previews. It does not however limit weekend potential. I like to see how PSM works for today. Yesterday PSM was just over 50% from previous night finish which is very frontloaded. Today we have to wait and see. It should not be that bad.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Also last line "Projections for Frozen 2 are currently at $130M stateside for the weekend, and a possible $300M global." does not make it look like a 45m true friday.

That’s true, looks like a failure to update to me.   

Also, I will just harp on this one more time — this is a good example of how utterly fucking stupid and annoying it is to pretend that Thursday grosses are part of Friday. Without that silly farce these ambiguous situations would never exist.

• Like 2

Hmm $45M seems like a true Friday considering the $8.5M is already added to Disney’s cume that they’re talking about but they’re whole write up is oddly weirded and $45M true Friday is higher than what Charlie said so I doubt it 

Edited by Nova

I just want to say it's weird being around for the sequel and the original of such a cultural phenomenon. For something like Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Star Wars etc. I was too young at the beginning of the century to really remember the previous ones coming out... they just "always existed" in my mind. But Frozen I explicitly remember its marketing, the lead-up, the increasing projections, the insane Xmas run, the music getting in everyone's head. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

That’s true, looks like a failure to update to me.   

Also, I will just harp on this one more time — this is a good example of how utterly fucking stupid and annoying it is to pretend that Thursday grosses are part of Friday. Without that silly farce these ambiguous situations would never exist.

They did update the OS number. Yesterday's report was way lower.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Maybe if 150+ is your bar for success but 36.5 Friday most likely yields a 140+ weekend.

$36.5M Friday would indicate a decent amount of front loading for a kid’s movie. I highly doubt it reaches $140M+ with that number. More like $125M range. 

$45M Friday + previews would make more sense for a $130M opening than a $45M true Friday, which would definitely hint at a bigger OW, so I kinda think Deadline just messed up.

That, or they’re being really conservative with F2’s Saturday + Sunday grosses

Edited by Feanor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

$36.5M Friday would indicate a decent amount of front loading for a kid’s movie. I highly doubt it reaches $140M+ with that number. More like $125M range. 

36.5 is 4.3x the previews. That's better than animation mega openers which opened in the summer, also way better than for example Aladdin. It's going to be more frontloaded than a lot of kid's movies just because most kid's movies don't get 8.5 million in previews. From presales we know Saturday bump is gonna be big and Sunday will be strong as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah, that's correct. But both of the numbers being referred to are true Friday as the preview gross was rolled into the 2.946 billion number.

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

They are hearing 45 instead of 54. But the 54 would be true Fri needed to hit 3B today, so the 45 should be true fri as well.

yeah that makes sense. 45 true fri would be stunning.

edit: that would make for a 60-65 sat so i think it can't be the case.

Edited by a2k

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

its going to be PS driven until tomorrow for sure. Real test of its legs will start only on sunday when PS levels wont be that high as today or tomorrow. But there is no question this is not a typical family movie. Its overall PS levels are very high. So some amount of frontloading is inevitable.

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

HTTYD3 did 3m/17,4m and that with 2,5m worth of special previews already being burned off. 

That's pretty much the same multiplier Frozen 2 would look at with 8,5/45.

And still dragons jumped 60% from true friday. Paired with a soft 20% drop on Sun Frozen would be looking at 150m.

Edited by Poseidon