Eric is Quiet

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

🤔 It's a worse movie than TLJ on many levels it's better in a few...but I don't hate it  like I did TLJ. Because I can understand why it's bad. Just my experience  with it but I don't think people will get hung up on this movie like they did with TLJ. They would if it followed two good movies and it blew up the trilogy. But it follows TLJ so...I'm glad it's over? I think this trilogy and era won't be remembered positively if they don't make some even worse undertaking

• Thanks 1

TROS does not have ships flying light speed into other ships. It remembers it has heroes. It does not have terrible relationships which result in deaths of thousands of rebels. It does not treat Luke as a has been joke. All the flaws of concepts and stories and plots it still remembers that this is a goofy adventure like ANH which cares for its characters and reminds you with a comfortable ending 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I realized that both Bladerunner2049 and The Last Jedi subverted the "chosen one" myth and both were met with shrugs by audiences. Of course The Last Jedi was Star Wars so it was still a hit and Blade Runner would have had an uphill climb no matter what. I'm just musing right now but I don't think that Americans like that myth being subverted unless it is done in a comedy or done really, really well. Hell the Matrix sequels subverted it as well and that didn't go over well at all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I realized that both Bladerunner2049 and The Last Jedi subverted the "chosen one" myth and both were met with shrugs by audiences. Of course The Last Jedi was Star Wars so it was still a hit and Blade Runner would have had an uphill climb no matter what. I'm just musing right now but I don't think that Americans like that myth being subverted unless it is done in a comedy or done really, really well. Hell the Matrix sequels subverted it as well and that didn't go over well at all.

Star Wars mythos is deeply ingrained in our pop culture.

Subverting that was always going to piss off people... 

A lot of fans of the Original films had huge issue with Luke was treated in TLJ. Many are called manbabies but even the actor had issues with it so the critique is legit. 

Watching The Force Awakens, Han Solo who is an iconic character is treated with reverence but he adapts to the new characters and plays a vital role to the characters, and to the story.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Just a little anecdotal evidence but I’m at work and I went to see the Radiologist who’s here tonight and the first thing he says is “I saw it!” Lol

He really liked it and doesn’t understand what the problem is for the critics haha! 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Interesting point.

Blade Runner 2049 is fantastic.

• Like 1

Re-watched Force Awakens -

This film is very basic and is a retread of ANH at times and many of the questions it asks have become pointless and many are ignored but in the end this is a damn fun entertaining and enjoyable film. It really captures the enjoyable spirit of Star Wars and excites you to everything Star Wars.

The characters are likable and Han Solo gives it his all!

However due to TLJ this film suffers because in 2015, the ending that made us jump in excitement and wonder is now meaningless to us :(

8/10 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Last Jedi had fan service as well. It was a light retread of Empire Strikes Back. 

Ehhh not really beyond the Hoth-Esque planet (which plays out much different in aesthetics and plot than Hoth)

• Like 1