Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Is Bombshell flopping? 

I like Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman a lot, but both are box office poison despite having very impressive careers. 

Bombshell is very difficult movie to watch. 

I remember when Brie Larson's Room came out. It was very good movie but many were hesitant to watch it because of subject matter. 

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Never understood why MoS had mediocre legs. It was very liked movie in my circle. 

DCEU had the bad habit of getting movies with frontloaded openings. Man of Steel, BVS and Suicide Squad had that same issue.

I think that stopped once Wonder Woman got released. 

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

I remember when Brie Larson's Room came out. It was very good movie but many were hesitant to watch it because of subject matter. 

I'm watching it rn, it's a lot of fun despite the subject matter. Light and fast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

DCEU had the bad habit of getting movies with frontloaded openings. Man of Steel, BVS and Suicide Squad had that same issue.

I think that stopped once Wonder Woman got released. 

You mean they had a bad habit of making lackluster to bad super dreary movies filled to the brim with faux edginess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Bombshell had bleh marketing. The Billie Eilish song in the trailer was the biggest thing it had going for it (or, at least, what got the most reactions when it played as a trailer in the cinema) but the people who'd react to that aren't the type who would see or enjoy the movie.

Just watched it as well. Good movie, not fantastic, but pretty good. There is one scene that is VERY hard to watch and I was squirming in my seat. But other than that scene, it isn't too hard of a movie for audiences to swallow (the subject matter yes, but the way it is presented in the movie, not really). 

I don't think TROS is getting a 3x multiplier with that B+ CinemaScore

What was the multiplier for TLJ's opening with A CinemaScore?

If TROS gets a 170 million opening, it could end up with less than 500 million domestic. Let's imagine 490 million. If overseas grosses also get smaller, than this movie could make Rogue One' numbers.

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't think TROS is getting a 3x multiplier with that B+ CinemaScore

What was the multiplier for TLJ's opening with A CinemaScore?

If TROS gets a 170 million opening, it could end up with less than 500 million domestic. Let's imagine 490 million. If overseas grosses also get smaller, than this movie could make Rogue One' numbers.

OW easily 180+ with the Friday we’ve got. TLJ was 2.8, but the Cinemascore didn’t reflect the issues with reception that emerged later. I don’t see it going below 180*2.9=520, with 550+ still very likely.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Jumanji 3 has better CS, can't believe it. 

Jumanji 3 has a better CinemaScore, a better Metacritic and a better Tomatometer. Triple package. XD

I had fun with TROS, though. I think general audiences will probably enjoy it more than the fans that got pooled during the opening. I've never been a fan/fanboy of Star Wars. In fact, i've always been very casual. So, I guess that's why I'm more forgiving.

I don't think TROS deserves to be hated. It was a fine movie until its third act where everything goes down. If it's a fine Star Wars movie or a fine movie, then it's up to the fans. 

Bombshell has a great cast but it would have needed stellar reviews and massive amounts of buzz to survive. CATS is dead in the water. I don't get why I see certain people trying to will it into being a hit. And don't compare it to The Last Showman, the two aren't comparable.

B+ is not good, but is day 1 so this is more fans reaction, which we all know have problems with the movie. I think GP will like it way more...

Anyway, still not a good cinemascore, but considering the lack of good competition and the deflated OW, still expecting 3x 

• Like 3

CinemaScore is a nice tool but it isn’t definitive. A B+ is concerning but there are plenty of cases of movies with that grade having good WOM.

We each have small sample sizes that mean relatively nothing, but I’ve seen TROS three times and the response has been pretty positive each time (and I say that as someone who didn’t love it). I’m inclined to think WOM is at least okay.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Jumanji 3 has a better CinemaScore, a better Metacritic and a better Tomatometer. Triple package. XD

I had fun with TROS, though. I think general audiences will probably enjoy it more than the fans that got pooled during the opening. I've never been a fan/fanboy of Star Wars. In fact, i've always been very casual. So, I guess that's why I'm more forgiving.

I don't think TROS deserves to be hated. It was a fine movie until its third act where everything goes down. If it's a fine Star Wars movie or a fine movie, then it's up to the fans. 

I think the opposite. It's such a callback and fanservice film, I think it will go over much worse with people for whom those callbacks mean less.