Eric Loves Rey

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

I'm not any kind of expert regarding Str Wars, but isn't the franchise heavily dependent on the fanbase rewatching it several times?

If TROS got a B+, that means there won't be many rewatches. Besides, general audiences won't probably be watching it several times because they aren't fans / fanboys. So, I still have my doubts about legs, but I hope everything ends up well.

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I realized that both Bladerunner2049 and The Last Jedi subverted the "chosen one" myth and both were met with shrugs by audiences. Of course The Last Jedi was Star Wars so it was still a hit and Blade Runner would have had an uphill climb no matter what. I'm just musing right now but I don't think that Americans like that myth being subverted unless it is done in a comedy or done really, really well. Hell the Matrix sequels subverted it as well and that didn't go over well at all.

what does it say about me that those are all my favorite tentpole flicks of the past 2 decades 

I think F2 is doing $500mn certainly. It's currently at $378mn and by end on Sunday I expect to be around $388mn, with $13.5mn weekend. Spider Verse added 7.65x after same weekend frame last year, the same will lead Frozen 2 to $491mn. Though I feel Frozen 2 being a month older and more deflated than Spider Verse was from Aquaman can hit even higher.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Bombshell has a great cast but it would have needed stellar reviews and massive amounts of buzz to survive. CATS is dead in the water. I don't get why I see certain people trying to will it into being a hit. And don't compare it to The Last Showman, the two aren't comparable.

Lionsgate is releasing the film in only 1480 theaters.    Even $6 million wide opening would be okay for the film.

Bombshell has huge chance to get Best Actress nomination in Oscar; it will help the film to survive.

Edited by John2015

F2 103% increase and J2 around 140% increase at MTC1 .

On SW9. We already have numbers but still here we go.

MTC1 OD  - overall 8298 shows 622027/1449506 8819836.69
MTC2 OD  - overall 6556 shows 497146/970155 5164783.00

most important number is Cats OD - overall 1822 shows 33741/205136 402334.57

To me cats looks like having 2.5-1.7m OD including previews. Let us see how things go.

Now I exit this thread 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

I think F2 is doing $500mn certainly. It's currently at $378mn and by end on Sunday I expect to be around $388mn, with $13.5mn weekend. Spider Verse added 7.65x after same weekend frame last year, the same will lead Frozen 2 to $491mn. Though I feel Frozen 2 being a month older and more deflated than Spider Verse was from Aquaman can hit even higher.

Frozen added 10.6x this weekend with same calendar, what a friggin beast.   

Wir2 8.3x

Coco 8.9x (Sun Christmas Eve)  

Moana 8.8x (Sat Eve, Sun Christmas)

BH6 8.8x

• Like 1