Cats                 1.81
Bombshell                 1.58
Richard Jewell                 1.00
Ford v. Ferrari                 0.61
Queen & Slim                 0.51
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood                 0.48
Black Christmas                 0.32
1917                 0.19

Jumanji is obviously doing very well at the late night showings every day, to see it always rising from early numbers...you'd hope theaters scratch some late nights for TROS (not doing well at 9/10pms, same as TLJ) and the animateds for the weekend b/c Jumanji has single screens pretty much everywhere around me since Wednesday, and that's not enough...but it does lead to consistent $11-$12M figures...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Movie Distr Gross %YD %LW Thr Per
Thr
Total
Gross
D
- (10) Richard Jewell Warner Bros. $1,015,000 -28% +147% 2,502 $406 $13,054,186 14
- (-) Parasite Neon $155,544 +2% +88% 155 $1,004 $21,775,672 77
- (-) Playing with Fire Paramount Pi… $47,000 +11% -33% 188 $250 $43,902,410 49
- (-) Just Mercy Warner Bros. $37,000 -54%   4 $9,250 $118,072 2
- (-) Terminator: Dark Fate Paramount Pi… $16,000 -23% +18% 120 $133 $62,253,474 56
Edited by a2k

1 hour ago, Justin4125 said:

I'm not attacking you here keep doing what you're doing, but your capacity to act *surprised* about Joker's OS performance is truly remarkable. I fail to see how it is so surprising that Joker will outperform TROS OS when Joker passed the OS total of every previous SW flick except TFA. That's like if I mentioned BP's domestic performance after every big tentpole came in under it. Omg, can you believe a movie with near all black cast and no nostalgia-bait is making more domestically than a SW/TA movie? Wow can you believe it did better than TLK? Who would have thought it would make more domestically than Justice League did worldwide? The numbers speak for themselves, this constant re-contextualizing is wearing thin.

Besides, any single film can under-perform. What does it really say that BP dom out-grossed Justice League WW? Its surprising, sure, but its clear the box office numbers betray the true power of the Justice League IP. Singling out under-performers and using them to frame and further boost the success of an out-performer is a near-sighted approach to analyzing film success and the viability of IP. BP's numbers are no more impressive (or Justice League's any less impressive) by framing one with the other. One out-performed and the other under-performed, but the factors surrounding the performance of each film dominate. SW is clearly on the backfoot, but its relatively lackluster performance does not make any other 1bn+ grossers any more impressive, all it says is that TROS film under-performed.

I am genuinely curious though, is there an experienced box office tracker on this site who is surprised by TROS's performance? The saga has been on a downward trajectory, and the last film, Solo, outright bombed, providing a clear indication about audiences' feelings towards the franchise at the current moment. The more optimistic forecasts assumed the film would be better received, but the divisive critical reaction caught many off guard and it immediately moderated expectations. The only thing it seems experienced trackers were unsure about was whether this film could help fans reconcile their feelings about the current trilogy. When it appeared that this would largely not be the case, expectations simmered. TROS has more or less everything going against it from critics and fans alike, yet it will still pull 1bn+. SW has maintained a place in our zeit-geist for decades. While TROS is in damage control mode, it does not necessarily spell doom for the IP. Course corrections are required, but such corrections and a few year gap can still re-invigorate the franchise, making a future SW film a leader once again across mature markets (growth markets are a serious concern, but I'm not ready to count the franchise out yet). HP1 - 3 out-performed AOTC and ROTS, but TFA topped HP8 by a wide margin. Franchises should only be partly judged on their under-performers, especially the rare ones like SW that have demonstrated exceptional staying power, and I'm not ready to count SW out due to recent under-performers 

I'm not surprised at the numbers - the numbers ever lie, but SPECIFICALLY that prior to release no one would have ever expected Joker pulling those numbers, especially internationally with such restrictions. More so, how the numbers for TROS' projections went down. I mean even with the likes of Maleficent 2 and Terminator: Dark Fate (prior to release, I'm speaking of).

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

I'm not surprised at the numbers - the numbers ever lie, but SPECIFICALLY that prior to release no one would have ever expected Joker pulling those numbers, especially internationally with such restrictions. More so, how the numbers for TROS' projections went down. I mean even with the likes of Maleficent 2 and Terminator: Dark Fate (prior to release, I'm speaking of).

but you are saying the same thing over and over and over again, without adding anything , we understoond your point the first time

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

but you are saying the same thing over and over and over again, without adding anything , we understoond your point the first time

Vaguely, perhaps, but not with specific, at least initially - i.e. the Italian numbers, and the recent Spanish numbers, for example.

Either way, it's just a rather interesting transaction and every week it just seems to be even more interesting - but I'm still curious as to whether people still feel it'll be between Aladdin and Rogue One internationally.

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Astonished 1

@a2k you quoted Keyser earlier as if he was giving early Friday numbers peak and he wasnt it was final Thursdays which seem to match up somewhat with what Jedi Jat gave. 

That being said, really hoping we can avoid drops today for both SW and Jumanji. The horror that took over in this thread 2 years ago when Jedi "fell" on a Friday (bad, but normalish behavior for the frame) was just too much lol. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

@a2k you quoted Keyser earlier as if he was giving early Friday numbers peak and he wasnt it was final Thursdays which seem to match up somewhat with what Jedi Jat gave. 

That being said, really hoping we can avoid drops today for both SW and Jumanji. The horror that took over in this thread 2 years ago when Jedi "fell" on a Friday (bad, but normalish behavior for the frame) was just too much lol. 

I wasnt a registered user but I was reading the thread

My heart sank that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3