filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

This reminds me of the 2010 and 2014 set of nominees whereby so many categories consist of Best Picture contenders when the individual branches could've gone for much more inspired choices (Screenplay, Acting, Costumes, Film Editing and Sound in particular). Thankfully, The Lighthouse's cinematography wasn't a victim of this.

It hurts more when the likes of Awkwafina, Nyong'o and Lopez are recognised by their precursors just to give us hope before AMPAS delivers crushing disappointment. 

All that being said, there's no Best Picture nominee in that line-up I had mixed or negative feelings towards (unlike last year) and given the way the race is shaping up I'll probably be satisfied with the majority of winners too.

• Like 1

This is the second year in a row that Meryl Streep hasn't been nominated, which would be the first time since before 2007 that she has gone more than a year without being nominated. Isn't that incredible? From 2007-2018, she scored 8 Oscar nominations, never going more than a year without one. It's from The Devil Wears Prada in 2007 onward, really, that Meryl became MERYL, culturally speaking. 

She did the same thing from her first Oscar nomination in 1979 (for The Deer Hunter) through to 1991 (Postcards from the Edge), with 9 Oscar nominations over a 13 year span, never going more than a year without one.

Between those two periods was her "lull", relatively speaking, and yet she still scored another four Oscar nominations (in 1996, 1999, 2000, and 2003), which for anyone else, would not at all be considered a lull, lol. 

I'm not ready for Meryl to stop dominating the Oscars. I want her to win one more so she can be tied with Katharine Hepburn as most Oscar winning actor (at 4 wins each). A purist might say she should win 2 more (in the lead category), as Hepburn's 4 wins are all in the lead category (whereas Meryl's original Oscar win was for Kramer vs. Kramer in the supporting category). Please keep acting into your 80s and beyond Meryl! 

Peace,
Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

1. Joker 10/10

2. Parasite 9/10

3.Irishman 8.5/10 

4. Ford v Ferrari 7.5/10

5. Jojo rabbit 7/10

6. Marriage story 6/10 

7. Once upon 5/10

The real sadness here to me is seeing the farewell (8.5/10), hustlers (8/10) and portrait of lady on fire (9/ 10) got completely ignored 

Hopefully Irishman (or Parasite, but that's unfortunately unlikely) will save us from OUATIH winning BP.

In this quagmire of upset and controversy and negativity, I just want to highlight how great the selection is for Best Animated Feature. (No Lego Twovie or Fro2en! Bye, bitch!) and no Lion king LOL.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

my personal rank

1. Parasite

2. Irishman

3. Little Women

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

5. Jojo Rabbit

6. Marriage Story

7. Joker

8. 1917

9. Ford v Ferrari

honestly it's pretty good. usually there's at least one nominee where i'm like "absolutely not" but even the lowest ranked film here is pretty decent just not my cup of tea.

Neon is quickly becoming a major player in the awards race and they've only been established for three years. Came close to a Best Picture nomination (I, Tonya) and received an acting win within their first year and now they've put out a top 5 player. Exciting stuff.

My ranking of best picture noms is:

1. Ford v Ferrari

2. Jojo Rabbit

Joker was bad and Once upon a Time was awful.

Haven't seen 1917 yet.

Not planning on seeing Little Women, Parasite, Marriage Story, or the Irishman.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Scarlett needs to say more racist and tone deaf shit. Maybe next time she gets 3 noms instead of 2. Also, lmao at JLo missing for Scarlett.

Awkwafina was robbed because the Academy needed to nominate someone black and they went with Cynthia. 

I don’t like the racist crap on the academy either. But why single out the single minority nomination as the least deserving one? Why couldn’t both the black actress and the Asian actress be nominated! Why act like the black actress stole something from the Asian actress? The Academy is made up of a lot of old white men. Maybe one of the other white actresses shouldn’t have been nominated? 

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

In this quagmire of upset and controversy and negativity, I just want to highlight how great the selection is for Best Animated Feature. (No Lego Twovie or Fro2en! Bye, bitch!) and no Lion king LOL.

I am quite surprised Klaus in, I thought weathering with you may sneak in as Oscar like to reserve a slot for japanese anime in recent year.

this year will mark complete blow for GKIDS, they may need to rearrange their strategy against Netflix.    

3 minutes ago, Giesi said:

I know Spirit isn’t the most memorable song, but holy shit, you had the opportunity to broadcast a live Beyoncé performance on your show and you said just „nope“.

Why would academy voters give two flying figs about the award show performance?

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t like the racist crap on the academy either. But why single out the single minority nomination as the least deserving one? Why couldn’t both the black actress and the Asian actress be nominated! Why act like the black actress stole something from the Asian actress? The Academy is made up of a lot of old white men. Maybe one of the other white actresses shouldn’t have been nominated? 

Maybe, just maybe, voters should vote for their favourite performance, regardless of actors skin colour ?

Just an idea. 

No one "should" or "shouldn't" be nominated for an award just because they are white or because they are brown.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I am quite surprised Klaus in, I thought weathering with you may sneak in as Oscar like to reserve a slot for japanese anime in recent year.

this year will mark complete blow for GKIDS, they may need to rearrange their strategy against Netflix.    

Weathering With You is not eligible because it comes out in 2020.

Edited by Avatree

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Neon is quickly becoming a major player in the awards race and they've only been established for three years. Came close to a Best Picture nomination (I, Tonya) and received an acting win within their first year and now they've put out a top 5 player. Exciting stuff.

like A24 before them and parasite is their moonlight.

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

- The Frozen 2 snub shows that if they have to pick one of two Disney sequels, they will choose the one with more refined storytelling.

- A-team Dreamworks is still in the game! Let's hope no B-team films like The Boss Baby get in for a while.

- Missing Link could have easily been another Early Man, but animation quality pushed it through, just like it did for The Croods.

- Netflix will be encouraged to make bigger steps in the animation game because of this. Jeremy Clapin will definitely be able to make another film, while Klaus affirms the movement to push 2D animation forward.

- Animation. This aspect was prioritized today.