filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not really: of the top 10 at the domestic box office, only one was nominated for Best Picture (+ one for Best Animated).

The gap between blockbusters and the Oscars is greater than ever. The new #1 at the worldwide box office only got one miserable VFX nomination? Long gone are the days of Titanic and ROTK, or even Avatar...

Bring back the People's Choice Oscar idea?

Avatar was nominated after the expansion. 

As far as nominations go, Netflix dominates this year and it is by far their biggest and broadest showing. Among all 24 categories, Netflix has scored 24 nominations (the most this year of any studio). They have several films represented in these nominations, with The Irishman (10 noms), Marriage Story (6 noms), and The Two Popes (3 noms), as well as American Factory and The Edge of Democracy (both in Best Documentary Feature), Klaus and I Lost My Body (both in Best Animated Feature), and Life Overtakes Me (Best Documentary Short Subject). 

They also have two nominations in the Best Picture category, one in the Best Director category, seven (!!) acting nominations, and three screenplay nominations. 

Last year, Netflix had 15 Oscar nominations, with 10 of those being for Roma and 3 for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 

This is a remarkable year for Netflix. Three years ago (2017), was the first time Netflix had ever won an Oscar (winning best Documentary Short Subject); two years ago (2018) was the first time Netflix had won a major Oscar (Best Documentary), and last year was the first time Netflix had a film nominated for Best Picture.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9/9 on Best Picture

4/5 Director (had Gerwig over Phillips)

3/5 on Actor (had Taron and DeNiro)

4/5 Actress (had Awkwafina over Cynthia)

Supporting Actress 4/5 (had Lopez over Pugh... but I'm glad it worked out the way it did lol)

Supporting Actor 4/5 (but Parasite over Popes)

Original/Adapted screenplay both had 5/5

Animated 4/5 (had Klaus in there, but didn't expect the Frozen snub)

Visual Effects 5/5

Cinematography 4/5

Production Design 4/5

Editing 3/5

Those are all I predicted

8 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

As far as nominations go, Netflix dominates this year and it is by far their biggest and broadest showing. Among all 24 categories, Netflix has scored 24 nominations (the most this year of any studio). They have several films represented in these nominations, with The Irishman (10 noms), Marriage Story (6 noms), and The Two Popes (3 noms), as well as American Factory and The Edge of Democracy (both in Best Documentary Feature), Klaus and I Lost My Body (both in Best Animated Feature), and Life Overtakes Me (Best Documentary Short Subject). 

They also have two nominations in the Best Picture category, one in the Best Director category, seven (!!) acting nominations, and three screenplay nominations. 

Last year, Netflix had 15 Oscar nominations, with 10 of those being for Roma and 3 for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 

This is a remarkable year for Netflix. Three years ago (2017), was the first time Netflix had ever won an Oscar (winning best Documentary Short Subject); two years ago (2018) was the first time Netflix had won a major Oscar (Best Documentary), and last year was the first time Netflix had a film nominated for Best Picture.

Peace,

Mike

Netflix BP's score

2017 - 0 films 

2018 - 1 films 

2019 - 2 films

By 2026, Netflix will owns the entire BP category. 

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also cool to see that Saoirse Ronan is now up to 4 nominations at just 25 years old. That romantic drama with Kate Winslet sounds like it'll extend it to 5 next year.

I find her so unlikeable lol. 

I also thought Lady Bird was a drag. The combination of her and Emma Watson puts me off Little Women. 

• Like 1

Didn't see Pain & Glory and can't build up the enthusiasm to check out The Two Popes but all three of the other Best Actor nominees were excellent in their respective movies so I guess I'm cool with any of them winning (even though it's obviously going to be Phoenix at this point). 

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No, he didn't. some reading comprehension education is required for you i think.

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

since 1980 the only best picture winner that didn't get an editing nod was birdman. which obviously has the one shot thing. so maybe doesn't hurt 1917. probably hurts hollywood

Maybe you're just blind? Because that's clearly a correlation.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

It’s weird to keep hearing about little women. My sister used to watch the 1990’s version all the time. Got tired of it. My wife loves that movie too.

’90’s version is good, we didn’t need another.’

Edited by FilmBuff

37 minutes ago, Avatree said:

It's a load of rubbish, I just checked the past 20 years of how directing and editing correlate vs best picture, and there's no correlation particularly on either side. There are a couple of films which only got directing, and won BP, and a couple which only got editing, and won BP.

I think you are mixing correlation and a more difficult claim of causality here.

There is a giant and obvious correlation between almost all the main category at the academy awards.

-Most shocking snub must be JLo. I was sure she'll at least make the 5 and she should have.

-Less shocking but even more lame was Two Popes getting 2 acting noms. Saw that movie 2 days ago and still think it doesn't exist. 

-Joker overperformance was also quite surprising. It was always in contention to be top5 but hitting all the big ones (pic-director-acting-screenplay-editing) was quite surprising. I think it def will win more than just Joaquin, even if its just below the line stuff. 

Biggest thing about BP race though is the editing line up. I think 1917 is fine because it was never getting nominated anyway, single-take gimmick movie might as well be ineligible there, Birdman swept the guilds without an editing nom. But it's pretty big blow for OUATIH which isn't a gimmick movie. Ofc all "unbreakable" stats are very much breakable but still it was a nomination that most expected it to get and a category that has an even bigger correlation with BP in recent decades than screenplay or directing.

At the moment:

1.Parasite - still sounds a bit too good to be true but it made it everywhere it could except acting and still has SAG nom. It's the only movie that could lose all of the big 3 guilds adn still win BP.

2.1917 - Editing miss should be a non factor but it fits the mold of techical achievement BO hit wins BD and some other stuff but not Picture. In fact it's weaker than most recent contenders of its ilk. LLL-Revenant-Gravity all had acting noms but I can see it winning.

3.OUATIH - Even outside of the edit snub I just don't see a Tarantino movie winning BP without him winning Director. When there's a famous auteur in contention its always him sweeping BD awards that carries the movie to BP even in the current era of BP/BD splits and I don't think Tarantino is winning. Unless the movie starts sweeping the guilds for some reason I can see it going home with screenplay, Pitt and a below the line award. As a huge fan of the movie I'm fine with that. At least we will be spared the hot takes.

Every year I wonder if the Best Picture category will yield anything but 8 or 9 nominations, and each year yields the same 8 or 9 nominations (since the rule change). With the strength of this year, I thought these Oscars had the best chance of getting 10 nominees, but it obviously didn't happen. Similarly, there has been enough support for a range of films each year to never go below 8 nominees. I'm not sure we'd ever get only 5 nominees, but 7 nominees seems like a realistic possibility/outcome in the future, given the rules. Or maybe not.

Peace,

Mike

5 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

It’s weird to keep hearing about little women. My sister used to watch the 1990’s version all the time. Got tired of it. My wife loves that movie too.

’90’s version is good, we didn’t need another.’

The 2019 version is even better.