Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I feel like, since I just watched the Hawkeye series, the "we're not a team" (also done in Black Adam) is been there, done that.

I guess that's my problem with the trailer - Stark/Spidey has done the fanning concept, Hawkeye and Black Adam have done the "don't want the newbie here/not a team, but okay we finally become one" concept...so we're left with switching places.  Okay.  It's fine.

But, fine is not gonna sell MCU big anymore...especially not in a crowded Nov schedule where this will not get a normal MCU clear out and free space to run...

No change on my box office thoughts: -10% to +20% more than Ant Man 3...DOM and WW...depending if it's terrible, good, or great...

Edit to Add: And with the fanbase not enthusiastic about the title characters being replaced by the new ones in movies, I'm not sure I'd have relegated Capt Marvel, the title character that fans know from movies, to the 4th main character to be seen (after Fury, Photon and Ms Marvel).  It just compounds the thought of the "A" team being replaced by the "B" team...

Edited by TwoMisfits

This looks far better than I was expecting, and an astronomical improvement over the frankly bland first movie. Props to Marvel, you just sold a big skeptic like me on this movie. If it's good, and Guardians 3 successfully brings back goodwill for the Marvel brand I can see this do Wakanda Forever numbers.

• Like 4

Good Lord. Talk about your average day on the internet.

Thought it was sound to good. Those who are doing one-to-five word 'looks mid'/'meh' posts are telling on themselves - why bother to post anything if that's your actual opinion rather than a bad faith bit of intenettery? 

Looks light, which is obviously not the tone one would generally want given the recent criticism of the MCU, but let's not pretend there isn't a difference between the fun nature of this where the humour seems to be coming from situation and characters; rather than the gurning, hipster, above-the-material, fnar-fnar-fnarery of Thor: Love and Thunder.

The practical sets though are a massive respite and relief after, well, every Marvel film for the last few years.

Think this will read pretty well with the general public. Still to be seen if it manages to garner any star/franchise power though and outweigh the downward trend.  

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It would be funny and ironic if after all the handwringing this ended up the biggest MCU movie of the year (not that it would be overly shocking to me, the first Captain Marvel was a bigger movie than any of either the solo Guardians or Ant-Man flicks, but still).

it’s not impossible for this film to drop massively despite what the first film made. Putting aside people souring on the MCU. Take a look at Alice in Wonderland 2 compared to 1, which benefitted from the 3D hype similar to how CM benefitted from the Endgame hype. Now CM2 won’t drop anywhere as harshly as Alice 2 but a big drop is not out of the question 

Edited by John Marston

This doesn't look good. Will still try to see it, though.

November is packed. I'll probably prioritize these three (DUNE II, THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES, and WISH) first before finding time for this one.

26 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Good Lord. Talk about your average day on the internet.

Thought it was sound to good. Those who are doing one-to-five word 'looks mid'/'meh' posts are telling on themselves - why bother to post anything if that's your actual opinion rather than a bad faith bit of intenettery? 

Not posting a 6 paragraph analysis doesn’t mean anyone’s indifference is insincere. 

• Thanks 6

19 hours ago, Willowra said:

Least watched MCU projects

1. I am groot

2. WWBN

3. GOTG holiday special

4. Ms. Marvel

5. What if

6. She-Hulk

r u joking she hulk did 400m mins+ mostly ! 2 weeks did 390m mins per week in usa Nielsen chart ! nd neither of those spcls appeared in Nielsen chart 

https://www.ratingsryan.com/2021/12/nielsen-svod-ratings-disney-originals.html

Feel pretty good about this one’s box office if reviews are decent. Fan reaction seems solid too judging the CBM people I follow. Going to stick to my 110/265/645 prediction for now (I used a similar OS split that Phase 4-5 and CM minus China had with a Wakanda Forever drop domestically and Thor 4/Strange 2 reception) but if it sticks the landing and the other few projects succeed, I think 125/320/725 seems about right with a solid chance at 800m if domestic goes 350m-ish. The biggest roadblock is how The Hunger Games does as in the age of nostalgia, I think it has potential to surprise as well as eat into its demographics. If the good reception train keeps on trucking through NWO, I think the MCU could rebound come Thunderbolts.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1