Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

GotG3 managed to make more than 800M despite following up Quantumania.

Across the Spider-Verse opened right in the middle of the most insane and overcrowded June where theatres OS couldn't even hang onto screens due to all the new releases and it still made almost as much as the live action TASM2 which opened in an empty time-frame.

Yeah, GOOD to GREAT to even GIMMICKY (Deadpool, Venom etc.) superhero movies are fine. What's done are lazy and bad films in the genre getting free passes.

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

Superhero movies are not dead.

BAD superhero movies are though. Lazy superhero movies are. Endlessly churned out superhero movies made with very little thought are.

If Gun makes a great Superman movie it will do a billion. 

The brand is a absolute dumpster fire. The last iteration of the character was poorly received and in 2 of the worst CBM's during the peak of Superhero craze in BVS and Justice League. The character historically has never done gangbusters at the box office outside of 50 year old Superman 1 and Superman 2. Superhero fatigue is easily observable over a year before it even comes out.

Try Batman begins numbers if its actually good lol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

If it's a success then why would no one in confidence in any Black Panther 3? The reality is that any 250M budget movie making 850M is meh and not good enough.

I and others would have a lot of confidence in another Black Panther movie with T’Challa moreso if it’s a total reboot. A Black Panther 3 with Shuri as lead or even the son will bomb in my opinion.

9 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Superhero movies are not dead.

BAD superhero movies are though. Lazy superhero movies are. Endlessly churned out superhero movies made with very little thought are.

If Gun makes a great Superman movie it will do a billion. 

If Batman couldn’t do a billion what makes you so sure Superman can? 

Just got out.

This movie had the shortest run time of the MCU, yet it felt longer than Flower Moon while watching it.

It felt like the film was ripped apart and stitched back together in post. It's disjointed, poorly paced, strangely edited and very dull.

My audience was about half full and were mostly lifeless. The only things that got strong reactions were Kamala's parents (who are great) , the cats and 1 of the teases for the future. The 2 teases I'm thinking of at the end, the first went over to a blank lifeless reaction. The second elicited some ooohs and ahhhs and some convos.

The 3 leads have very little chemistry. For me, I wouldn't say I hate any of them, but have complete apathy. 

I was never a fan of the iron man Jr, fan boying of Holland. But at least spidey felt more well rounded and iron man is a beloved character by the audience, so at least it's understandable for him to fan Boy over the character that carried the MCU.

Here, if this is a lot of audiences intro to Ms. Marvel her only characteristic seems to be loving Captain Marvel, who is probably the dullest character in the MCU. I don't think that is Brie's fault. I think she is a wonderful actress. But the way Marvel has handled this character leaves me scratching my head. The audience has been given very little reason to like or connect with this character. We always HEAR about things she's doing, but we never really get to see these adventures she is on. Giving her amnesia was such a miscalculated introduction. I really feel like they have done an extremely poor job with Captain Marvel.

The villain is maybe the worst in all pf the MCU. Ronan was already such a lifeless bore, and this is just a worse version.

The film just plods along and then ends. My audience was more into Ant Man 3 than this.

It's not offensively bad, or even memorable in any way. It is just there, existing for little reason.

4/10

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 2

China

Maoyan 

— 6.9 (15K ratings)

— 1,122 Positive &759 Negative reviews 

Taopiaopiao 

— 6.7 (20K ratings)

— 6.4 Male &7.0 Female

Douban

— 5.4 (28K ratings)

— 43% Three-Star &31% Two-Star Ratings

Forget about "The Flash" or "Shazam! Fury of the Gods", "The Little Mermaid" has better score - 7.4 Maoyan / 7.2 Taopiaopiao

Edited by Issac Newton

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

China

Maoyan 

— 6.9 (15K ratings)

— 1,101 Positive &743 Negative reviews 

Taopiaopiao 

— 6.7 (19K ratings)

— 6.5 Male &7.0 Female

Douban

— 5.4 (28K ratings)

— 43% Three-Star &31% Two-Star Ratings

I rarely see movies scoring below 7 on Maoyan and Taopiaopiao... lol

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, Hypercortical said:

(kinda sorta spoilery, if you're real sensitive about that stuff)
this review:
The Marvels review: There’s still some magic left in the MCU - Vox

...has me really excited, because it's literally the only review I've seen that discusses some thematic elements that I predicted would be in the film. All the other positive and negative reviews alike have had me worried that Nia DaCosta just somehow managed to not explore these ideas in the film. The worst reviews treat the film as entirely vapid and soulless. The best reviews treat the film as a rollercoaster full of cute/funny moments. 

she literally does not explore any themes at all in the movie. its all very surface-level and nothing is expanded upon. Just sort of goes form this plot point to that plot point

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, Bob Train said:

Eternals was before the CBM genre collapsed, if released today it would be lucky to gross half as much. Sonic 3 will annihilate Thunderbolts/Cap 4/Blade in gross.

One genre is rising, the other has reached new lows as sequels to $1b grossers are now grossing $200m globally. You may not like it, but it is the truth.

I don't deny that CBM are in decline, but don't see strong evidence that Video Games movies are going to become the dominant gernre. We might be entering a period, where there is no Dominant Genre.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:58 AM, eddyxx said:

Those Chinese reactions! God damn. The hate is visceral!

I got a feeling that  in a couple of years, only Chinese movies will be shown in the Chinese Theater Chains.  Think Russia in the COld War Years.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I got a feeling that  in a couple of years, only Chinese movies will be shown in the Chinese Theater Chains.  Think Russia in the COld War Years.

Nah, China will keep showing US films. China keeps 75% of profits from US films released in their country, that is way too much money to give up on.

Edited by Mojoguy

37 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Nah, China will keep showing US films. China keeps 75% of profits from US films released in their country, that is way too much money to give up on.

Unless US China relations go totally into the crapper..which I consider very likely.

Edited by dudalb

I  enjoyed it, but it's not top tier MC U.

What really hurt the MCU with what happened wiht the Marvels is...

Spoiler

That is had so much set up for futre films. The Young Avengers in the final scens of the film peoper and...this is the big setup..the X men in the mid title sequence.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Many of the most successful films in the Soviet Union during the Cold War were from other countries, some were even from the USA.  

• Like 1