sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Invisible Man 28.2, Sonic 16.26, Call of the Wild 13.36

80s nostalgia was for the 10s. 90s nostalgia for the 20s. sonic's success is kind of a part of this too. yeah it's a kids movie but when i saw it there was literally only one kid there. otherwise it was a crowd full of nerds like me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Does people here actually know what these scientologist actually do? 

I don't want to exaggerate but can't defend and will never scientology in any way. 

This is a good way to find out how messed up they are., 

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

80s nostalgia was for the 10s. 90s nostalgia for the 20s. sonic's success is kind of a part of this too. yeah it's a kids movie but when i saw it there was literally only one kid there. otherwise it was a crowd full of nerds like me.

Bodes well for Mulan...

1 hour ago, baumer said:

How about this?  Who cares what kind of religion she practises?  If you like her work, that should be enough.  Every religion can have holes poked in it.  So I could care less if she is a Buddhist a Scientologist, Christian or someone who worships Rabbit droppings.  

Except Scientology is not a religion it’s a criminal organization!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's sort of ironic that Jason Blum, the man who worked with Harvey Weinstein for so many years, produced a #MeToo era thriller pretending that these issues are important to him 😅. He has done a fabulous job of monetizing social issues. 

I'll bite.

On what did he work with Weinstein on for so many years?

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Except Scientology is not a religion it’s a criminal organization!

They think of it as a religion and as VS said, let's not turn this into a Scientology thread.

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

He was his exec 

So a quick search brings me to several aRticles where Blum says he hated working for Harvey and one of the reasons he left Miramax is because Harvey was a bully.

You can't say every person who worked with him is also a rapist or knew it was going on.  That's not really fair.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't discard AQP 2 as unnecessary yet. if they are going for universe building, it could be a really interesting franchise. It also seems that there will be some human vs human conflict not just humans vs aliens, which is how apocalyptic scenarios go. some higher force (zombies, aliens) creates havoc and humans fight them alright, but they also fight among themslves for the event brings both the best and worst in people. I'm excited. :)

I can honestly say that as someone who didn't enjoy the first that I am amped by what I've seen from the second,  jumping from single-high-concept-gimmick to world-building. Tiny sample size but can confirm its gained a follower in me and Ill be watching in cinema, which I didn't do the first.

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I can honestly say that as someone who didn't enjoy the first that I am amped by what I've seen from the second,  jumping from single-high-concept-gimmick to world-building. Tiny sample size but can confirm its gained a follower in me and Ill be watching in cinema, which I didn't do the first.

Agreed. I loved the first but I'm definitely more excited about world building in the second.

Edited by Valonqar

I think the first movie was more appealing being about only the family. To see what they go trough in trying to survive was terrifying. The first movie had a good resolution, they discovered how they can kill the monsters. The sequel doesn't have that intriguing aspect. I believe the sequel will drop

the sequel is trying something else. the fmaily cannot live in isolation, they reconnect with other people and are eager to share how the monsters could be killed. so that could lead to many scenarios where some humans are not as well-meaning as they should be.