sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

:stirthepot: guess it'll live another week domestically 

the international box office tho is sinking harder than the titanic :circles:

Indeed, barring a wild Sunday, this take did not hold up.   

This is the weekend that it should have impacted domestic $$$, guess I just underestimated the obliviousness of US audiences 😬

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

This is the weekend that it should have impacted domestic $$$, guess I just underestimated the obliviousness of US audiences 😬

i'm not american nor do I live there so idk how much they listen to their president but he literally told them that it's fine to go work and go out even if you have this virus, so there's that :ph34r:

I think we might have to wait until theaters start shutting down before we see a substantial decline in domestic attendance but who knows what will happen 2-3 weeks from now.  (I think Mulan is more vulnerable than AQP 2 if anything)

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

why would anyone be excited about these characters?

g_onward_characterposter_ianbarley_18688

generic look like this exists on several cartoon network cartoons. Nothing that screams must see or something never seen before. no wonder they had to ramp up that Spidey and Star Lord were doing voices.

Tom Holland is Box office poison. Even when he does voice roles. 

Spies in Disguise Bombed. 

Onward bombing. 

Chaos Walking surely bombing (if it ever releases) 

50 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Europe Big 4 numbers are exactly as of The Good Dinosaur. In fact Russia is also same. In fact not far from Coco in UK and Germany and about 65% in Russia, France and Spain. $200-250mn is still on but that hardly matters.

Good dinosaur released on Wednesday 

Emma. should finish with around what the Paltrow version from '96 did ($22M). Austen adaptations are clearly good for totals in a certain range (Love & Friendship finished in the teens but the source isn't as well-known as her most famous works) so I expect we'll be seeing another version of Pride & Prejudice within the next couple of years since it's already been 15 years since the Keira Knightley/Joe Wright movie.

I know there are obviously bigger things to worry about with corona, but I'm definitely concerned it could be the catalyst that truly begins to kill the theatrical experience. If things get bad, studios will turn to streaming for their releases this year and once audiences really get a taste of big blockbusters direct to streaming, there may be no going back. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know there are obviously bigger things to worry about with corona, but I'm definitely concerned it could be the catalyst that truly begins to kill the theatrical experience. If things get bad, studios will turn to streaming for their releases this year and once audiences really get a taste of big blockbusters direct to streaming, there may be no going back. 

thats a fair concern, but still ways off , and i rally dont think that we will see big movies that would be released in theaters , now  on a streaming platform

Edited by john2000

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Tom Holland is Box office poison. Even when he does voice roles. 

Spies in Disguise Bombed. 

Onward bombing. 

Chaos Walking surely bombing (if it ever releases) 

Boxoffice poison or just really bad at picking projects? Boxoffice poison is someone who is a proven cause of the boxoffice bomb, like when a survey showed that people lost interest in Steve Jobs when they learned that Fassbender played him. Also, there was some survey that showed people didn't like George Clooney despite Hollywood touting him the last movie star or someshit. :lol:

1 minute ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Even with the Roni scaring people away, those Bad Boys still dropped 30%. THE POWAH

Movie's staying power has been really impressive but probably makes sense when you consider it's likely attracting an older than usual crowd for an action sequel (since the original is now a quarter century old movie and the previous sequel would be in high school right now if it were a person).

Is anyone really going to see Onward because of Tom Holland?  Spies in Disguise did about what i thought it would.  Holland is not going to get people into the theatre, and no one really cares if its his voice doing the talking.  

• Like 5

How many of these super dudes are draws, really? Maybe Bale and Evans? And that's just based on their last two films being hits

edit: Bradley Cooper too, forgot he played the Raccoon 

Edited by TMP

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

How many of these super dudes are draws, really? Maybe Bale and Evans? And that's just based on their last two films being hits

hard to determine from these movies for they had appealing concept and other names to draw audience (Damon in FvF and Craig plus bunch of old school stars that appealed to older crowd in KO). One thing is sure, they absolutely didn't hurt and most likely had added value (means replace them with less known actors or actors who turn off the audience, and shave off few millions)