sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Oh sh&t, it really will be Doolittle over Onward WW...we have the new flop leader for the year...this sucks!

how generous of Holland and Pratt to save RDJ from headlining the bomb of the year. As Spidey would say "We did it, Mr Stark! We bombed harder than you!" 

• Haha 9

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

How many of these super dudes are draws, really? Maybe Bale and Evans? And that's just based on their last two films being hits

Evans can't take full credit for Knives Out since it was sold as a big ensemble flick and Bale had a box office whiff with Vice before Ford v Ferrari. In fact most of his hits have had him sharing space with other big names (including FvF with Damon) but he's developed into such a strong actor over the course of his career (Laurie in Little Women '94 and Patrick Bateman were before Batman and he started off the 2010s with an Oscar win before picking up three additional noms over the rest of the decade) that being Batman has helped solidify his "icon" status.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, Tom Holland is Chris Hemsworth 2.0.  Great in MCU, nothing without MCU. The characters are bigger than the actors playing them.

Tom Holland is like 90% of the actors out there.  They are names that we know but most people don't go to see a movie because a certain actor is in it anymore.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And $68M vs $90-105M tracking WW from 5 days ago...damn...

https://deadline.com/2020/03/onward-ben-affleck-the-way-back-box-office-coronavirus-1202873492/

?  if you go in the os thread, the virus didnt have really a big affect, and  either way most of the time predictions  about os ow are most of the time off anyways

ps at the same time go and look the holdovers os, they had really great drops

Edited by john2000

Tentpoles to be postponed indefinitely? You would need to see a prolonged period of improvement in the global coronavirus situation and/or the announcement of a working remedy to have any confidence in a global motion picture release right now. A summer without blockbusters? Only indies/low-budget fare...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, Tom Holland is Chris Hemsworth 2.0.  Great in MCU, nothing without MCU. The characters are bigger than the actors playing them.

Great and successful are different things.

• Like 2

I just think taking a fantasy concept but then plonking a seemingly mundane family-drama road-trip element on it just is a weird thing to sell. Very oxymoronic. 

If I remember correctly Brave kept the extent of its mother-daugher family plot very quiet and mostly sold it on badass Merida doing cool stuff in a pseudo-medieval environment. Maybe this should have done something similar and emphasised a more generic fantasy quest scenario in the marketing.

I think this was well on its way to being a huge misfire well before Corona came along. It's made it worse but the rest of the BO and some of the better holdovers seem to indicate that there was more money to be made here with a more appealing movie.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

How many of these super dudes are draws, really? Maybe Bale and Evans? And that's just based on their last two films being hits

edit: Bradley Cooper too, forgot he played the Raccoon 

tenor.gif?itemid=14961976

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I just think taking a fantasy concept but then plonking a seemingly mundane family-drama road-trip element on it just is a weird thing to sell. Very oxymoronic. 

If I remember correctly Brave kept the extent of its mother-daugher family plot very quiet and mostly sold it on badass Merida doing cool stuff in a pseudo-medieval environment. Maybe this should have done something similar and emphasised a more generic fantasy quest scenario in the marketing.

I think this was well on its way to being a huge misfire well before Corona came along. It's made it worse but the rest of the BO and some of the better holdovers seem to indicate that there was more money to be made here with a more appealing movie.

agreed

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14961976

I don't know if this is trying to be a serious answer but he was in a move that was virtually the exact same as the Joker the year before and it made no money whatsoever. 

None of his movies before Joker had made money for years and years. And if Joker was exactly the same but called 'Arthur' it would have had the same fate.  

Also, are people ignoring the fact that Ford V Ferrari wasn't actually a hit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I don't know if this is trying to be a serious answer but he was in a move that was virtually the exact same as the Joker the year before and it made no money whatsoever. 

None of his movies before Joker had made money for years and years. And if Joker was exactly the same but called 'Arthur' it would have had the same fate.  

Also, are people ignoring the fact that Ford V Ferrari wasn't actually a hit?

Love this take. Been saying this for months. 

Phillips deliberately made a 70’s style loner character study, whilst thinking he could dupe joe public into attending by slapping a comic book character’s name on it. It worked. 

I like the movie, but the cynically tied in joker/batman links stick out like the afterthought that they were. And that was on purpose.  Phillips laughed his way to the bank and proved a point. 
Pixar should have called their movie Zelda and had an unrelated subplot where they see the princess for two minutes. Joe public would have flocked!