Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Not to mention Margin Call, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Jane Eyre, The Ides of March, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Take Shelter, etc

Margin Call is one of the more underrated movies of the decade imo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also to add onto @Jake Gittes's list of great 2011 movies, I also thought Drive, Rango, The Raid, Midnight in Paris, Warrior, Shame, Attack the Block, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, We Need to Talk about Kevin, Carnage, Cabin in the Woods were great films. Good year for blockbusters too (Captain America, Mission Impossible 4, Fast and Furious 5, Transformers 3, Rise of the Planet of the Apes were all imo the best films in their respective franchises at that time).

I had Attack the Block in the Top 15 on my list.  I have seen almost all of the films you listed. I just happened to enjoy more movies offered by every other year in the decade. 🤷‍♂️

Though @Jake Gittes yes, I will eventually get around to watching Margaret. I always had it on my radar right from the moment it was released because I was on a True Blood high at the time. I just didn't get around to watching it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Number 40

Spoiler

MyoYfBX.jpg

"The saviour who came to tear my life apart. My Tamako. My Sookee."
249 points, 13 lists

directed by Park Chan-wook | South Korea | 2016

The Pitch: In Japan-occupied 1930s Korea, a Korean woman is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress, while being involved in a plot to defraud her.

Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 84
Box Office: 38m WW
Awards: BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Film
BOT History: BOFFY nomination for Best Foreign Film
Critic Opinion: "Without sacrificing his taste for psychosexual perversity or his flair for violent grace notes, Park has given us a teasingly witty and elegant puzzle-box of a thriller whose pleasures are rooted not in visceral shock but in narrative surprise, and which wisely opts to seduce rather than pulverize its audience." - Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

"Park Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden is a fiendishly clever, sinfully funny con-job melodrama, the kind that keeps yanking the rug out from under everyone on screen and off. If that’s all the film was, it would still be a must-see, at least for those who don’t mind a little graphic violence and kinky sex to go with their misdirection. But for all its twists, turns, and betrayals, the most shocking thing about the film is that it’s also, quite possibly and quite improbably, the year’s most genuinely romantic movie." - A.A. Dowd, The AV Club
BOT Sez: “When they ended part one, it surprised me as it had already given me everything I was expecting to see and so the twists and the reveals of the next two thirds were great bonuses. The big thing that makes the great Korean directors so damn great to watch is that when you have essentially a Hollywood film upbringing, everything shocks you as scenes that aren't supposed to happen in a film actually happen and reveals are not telegraphed from a mile away. [...] With this, you are given a film that again highlights how damn good Korean cinema can be when studios are shoehorning the latest KPop star in to be the lead and pissing all over what made 2002-2010 so damn excellent.” - @chasmmi
Commentary: Our next-to-last non-English language film, hailing from the same country as the remaining one. Director Park Chan-wook's sumptuous, entertaining adaptation of Sarah Waters' novel Fingersmith, with the setting changed from the original's Victorian era, became his biggest success since Oldboy upon its 2016 release, and its many charms did not escape members of BOT, particularly our favorite lecherous old uncle with the Peter O'Toole avatar. 

the-handmaiden-desktop-wallpaper.jpg?w=2

• Like 16
  • Astonished 5

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 40

Hide contents

MyoYfBX.jpg

"The saviour who came to tear my life apart. My Tamako. My Sookee."
249 points, 13 lists

directed by Park Chan-wook | South Korea | 2016

The Pitch: In Japan-occupied 1930s Korea, a Korean woman is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress, while being involved in a plot to defraud her.

Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 84
Box Office: 38m WW
Awards: BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Film
BOT History: BOFFY nomination for Best Foreign Film
Critic Opinion: "Without sacrificing his taste for psychosexual perversity or his flair for violent grace notes, Park has given us a teasingly witty and elegant puzzle-box of a thriller whose pleasures are rooted not in visceral shock but in narrative surprise, and which wisely opts to seduce rather than pulverize its audience." - Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

"Park Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden is a fiendishly clever, sinfully funny con-job melodrama, the kind that keeps yanking the rug out from under everyone on screen and off. If that’s all the film was, it would still be a must-see, at least for those who don’t mind a little graphic violence and kinky sex to go with their misdirection. But for all its twists, turns, and betrayals, the most shocking thing about the film is that it’s also, quite possibly and quite improbably, the year’s most genuinely romantic movie." - A.A. Dowd, The AV Club
BOT Sez: “When they ended part one, it surprised me as it had already given me everything I was expecting to see and so the twists and the reveals of the next two thirds were great bonuses. The big thing that makes the great Korean directors so damn great to watch is that when you have essentially a Hollywood film upbringing, everything shocks you as scenes that aren't supposed to happen in a film actually happen and reveals are not telegraphed from a mile away. [...] With this, you are given a film that again highlights how damn good Korean cinema can be when studios are shoehorning the latest KPop star in to be the lead and pissing all over what made 2002-2010 so damn excellent.” - @chasmmi
Commentary: Our next-to-last non-English language film, hailing from the same country as the remaining one. Director Park Chan-wook's sumptuous, entertaining adaptation of Sarah Waters' novel Fingersmith, with the setting changed from the original's Victorian era, became his biggest success since Oldboy upon its 2016 release, and its many charms did not escape members of BOT, particularly our favorite lecherous old uncle with the Peter O'Toole avatar. 

the-handmaiden-desktop-wallpaper.jpg?w=2

I was not expecting this to make the list but am happily surprised.

• Like 3

Our next-to-last non-English language film, hailing from the same country as the remaining one

pretty obvious what the film you're referring to here is. But still, I didn't expect Extreme Job to make it so high up on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

RIP

Tag (2015)

tumblr_nyflw8af1A1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

We failed it @MrGamer

watched this last week. it was ok nowhere near Sion Sono's best. none of his films made my list but Why Don't You Play in Hell? or Tokyo Tribe were way better than this if he needed a candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Number 39

Spoiler

8QUAYUv.jpg

"I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves."
249 points, 19 lists

directed by Patty Jenkins | US, China, Hong Kong | 2017

The Pitch: The Amazon princess Diana leaves her island home to try and stop World War I,

Top 5 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 76
Box Office: $821m WW
Awards: Critics’ Choice Award for Best Action Movie; Empire Award for Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy; Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation; Saturn Award for Best Actress
BOT History: #5, Top Movies of 2017; 4 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: "Gadot is simply marvelous. Physically, she’s bold and commanding. But there’s a sweetness about her too, as if she and Jenkins understand intuitively that Wonder Woman can’t just be blandly awesome. She's got to be able to feel wonder too." - Stephanie Zacharek, TIME

"Wonder Woman is exciting, romantic, funny — and my favorite DC Extended Universe movie to date. With her courage and strength, Diana sets an example for everyone she meets, and she holds fast to her ideals even under great pressure. With any luck, she’ll provide similar inspiration to the directors of the DC Extended Universe in the years ahead." - Matt Singer, Screen Crush
BOT Sez: “There is, occasionally, that one bit of clunky line delievery that haunted Gal a little bit in Batman V Superman, but that is actually camouflaged brilliantly for the most part by a supremely charismatic and charming performance. Gal owns the role, bringing it the naivety, the curiosity, the strong beliefs and, of course, the badassness that Diana demands. And hot damn, Wonder Woman is such a great character. Not only insanely likeable (and sexy :ph34r:), but truly a warrior who fights for what she believes in and doesn't take shit from anyone.” - @MCKillswitch123
“The chemistry between Gal and Chris is off the charts in this movie, and every time the camera pulled away from them I just wanted it to go right back there, Chris Pine is abosutly fantastic in the movie- the romance story is possibly the best romance I've seen in a Superhero film, and one of my favorite things about this movie was how it doesn't mind slowing down and giving real intimate moments that actually make you care about the characters in the movies, there are several scenes like this and it works wonders, Patty Jenkins really excels in this aspect.” - @Kalo
Commentary: The biggest hit of summer 2017, and the movie that finally brought critical praise and leggy box-office to the DCEU. Under a lot of pressure both fair and less so - it did, after all, take a woman until 2017 to get a chance to helm such an expensive, big-scale live-action film - director Patty Jenkins delivered, crafting a superhero tentpole that, at its best, allowed the audiences to feel a real connection with the titular heroine and what she represents. Their response was appropriately enthusiastic. 

MV5BMjIyMzkzNTE0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjYz

• Like 17
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 3