charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

12 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

THE IRISHMAN - This isn't bad but I'm aghast at the incredibly high reviews it got.  And rarely do I say this, but it was too long...did this really need to be as long as Return of the King?  Also, was the CGI cream they put on DeNiro/Pacino's faces really distracting to anyone else?

I think it's a very good movie despite the silly CGI but I agree about the overpraise. This probably had the best initial critic reaction in Scorsese's entire career after a decade of him not exactly being a critics darling. 3 out of his 4 previous movies got polarizing reviews on release and all bounced back pretty quickly. I feel this is the rare Scorsese movie that will drop a bit in esteem as the years go by.

I still haven’t got round to all the Oscar Bait for 2021 so I can’t do a ‘best of’ but I’m good to go with a ‘worst’ list. This year was much better than 2020, when studios were just dumping everything that wasn’t worth saving straight to streaming, it was just heinous - unwatchable films back to back. In my opinion 2021 has returned us to pre-pandemic levels of garbage

AJG's Worst of 2021

10. Cinderella - Sony/Amazon

9 . Dear Evan Hansen -  Universal

8. Chaos Walking - Lionsgate

7. Bruised - Netflix

6. The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - Lionsgate

5. Tom and Jerry - WB

4. Mortal Kombat - WB

3. Thunder Force - Netflix

2. Snake Eyes Gi:Joe Origins - Paramount

1. Reminiscence - WB

Loser of the year: Warner Bros. Being able to beat Netflix in a 'Worst of" list should be impossible but somebody did it.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

17 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

THE IRISHMAN - This isn't bad but I'm aghast at the incredibly high reviews it got.  And rarely do I say this, but it was too long...did this really need to be as long as Return of the King?  Also, was the CGI cream they put on DeNiro/Pacino's faces really distracting to anyone else?

I honestly think it may be Marty's best film and the best of his gangster epics for me (it being thematically similar to Once Upon a Time in America helps). The CGI is distracting at first but I honestly forgot about it after the first few scenes, I got used to it. Him beating up the guy at the grocery store is still really bad though ha.

• Like 1

The Irishman is a slog.  Buried in an unneeded 90 minutes of story and character flab and distractedly bad facial VFX.    DeNiro constantly being referred to and framed as a young man for a good chunk of the film was ridiculous.  The grocery store scene - I thought he was in danger of falling and breaking a hip.   Worse, DeNiro's is a drag of a central character.  Unlikable is fine but he's dull as shit - completely uncompelling - why should I care when he ends up an immoral dried husk of an unloved old man when he was always that.   The father daughter stuff lands like a wet fart. Al ("you people") Pacino as Hoffa was the only life in the movie.  The movie picks up when he enters and dies when he does.

• Like 2

Sorry for this dump:

Free Guy 4/5

Devil’s Due 2/5

Werewolves Within 3/5

Hairspray 2007 4/5

The Empty Man 2/5

Encanto 3/5

The Girl Next Door 3/5

Candyman 2021 4/5

Synchronic 2/5

Escape Room 2 Extended Cut 4/5

Death to 2021 3/5

The Unforgivable 4/5

Don’t Look Up 4/5

The Holiday 5/5

The Family Stone 5/5

Batman Returns 5/5

Love Hard 1/5

Spider Man No Way Home 3/5

Black Christmas 2006 4/5

West Side Story 4/5

P2 3/5 

Single All The Way 4/5

Welcome to Raccoon City 2/5

House of Gucci 4/5

Does anyone have Letterboxd? 

My username is Krissykins, would be good to have some people from here to follow. Let me know your usernames. 

• Like 2

I missed last month, so gonna do two months.

November

Movies

1. Ayyappanum Koshiyum - What worked best for me is the fact, that despite it being show of toxic male ego & Koshy being obvious dick at times, I still was sorta rooting for him to survive. This could have been easily Nair's film as seems like Telugu remake will be. 7/10
  2. Eternals - My biggest concern about the film is that there is grown celestial inside Earth, whose I guess fingers are as high as mountains in ocean, and yet that doesn't feel like a big deal. Otherwise I enjoyed it all. The origin story is good, waiting for follow up. Everyone did it dirty. I will happily swap reception of this with Shang Chi. 7/10
  3. Shang Chi - I didn't like it as much as y'all did. Just about passable two acts and a very bad third act. 5/10.
  4. No Time To Die - It was fun. Surprised. 7/10.
  5. K.D. - 5/10
  6. Harjeeta - Effort deserves 10. The lack of finances does show up in technicalities at times, but does its job at the core film. 7/10.
  7. Last Night in Soho - 7/10.
  8. Venom: Let there be Carnage - Venom 2 feels like a really LONG movie, which if not have Lethal Protectors on screen is a terribly bad, but since it has them... 5/10
  9. Honsla Rakh - 6/10
  10. Spencer - 6/10
  • Like 1

December

1. Sooryavanshi - This is an Indian attempt to make interlinked universe of Cop movies but the writing is shitty af, just going after gimmick. Terribly shot. Rohit Shetty should go back to direct comedy films. 2/10.
  2. Spider-man - It starts really well. Feels a lot more personal than CBMs today. Uncle Ben doing "times are changing" old man jokes stuff but that's about it. The worst thing about it is the love story and that is what the film relies on a lot with its plot. Didn't like anyone in cast except Dafoe as Goblin. 7/10.
  3. Spider-man: No Way Home - It is a movie. It has gimmicks. Gimmicks I liked. Movie not so much. 6/10.
  4. The French Dispatch - 7/10.
  5. The Last Duel - I think if this was mini series on Netflix or HBO Max, it would have been a huge HIT. I loved it. 8/10.
  6. Encanto - Bor-ito. 4/10.
  7. Atrangi Re - Atrangi Re is yet another ALR film, and yet another time it worked. I liked it. The only complain is music could have been better, which however is better than anything Bollywood gave in recent times, so I guess that is that. 7/10.
  8. Ron's Gone Wrong - Amongst multiple, tech bot is your friend animations, this one actually goes right. 7/10.
  9. Good Will Huting - Good Movie. 8/10.
  10. Bombay Velvet - 3/10
  11. Titanic - I am always shocked thinking how this film did what it did 90s, but everytime I watch it, it just feels right. 9/10.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Rewatching Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions for the first time since they came out. This French dude is the worst fucking character ever. Reloaded is okay, Revolutions is kind of a chore so far. Smith is really saving these movies

Is this Merovingian slander I see???

Station Eleven - so so so good, such a beautiful and humane story in the midst of all-encompassing bleakness (both narratively and in the greater scheme of things). In many ways a spiritual successor to The Leftovers, but also it's own completely different despite similarities in structure and editing. I guess I'd call it "Lindelovian" idk lol

• Like 1

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER -  Jesus. Jesus.  Finally watched this!  Boy, what a mess...and I thought The Last Jedi was bad!  There really isn't much to say other than its a bunch of nonsense and a big waste of Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley, both of whom had so much potential after TFA.  This movie feels like its trying to be both the second and third movies in a trilogy at the same time.  Also, those desert scenes were pretty but very familiar...I hope Hollywood doesn't start overusing Wadi Rum.  Dune used that place too.  Maybe I just think Wadi Rum has become way too recognizable ever since in was used to great effect in The Martian.

READY OR NOT - The last 10 minutes is comedy gold but I don't think the rest of the movie was quite good enough to get there.

GET OUT - A movie about some creepy ass white people stealing black people's bodies because they believe they're genetically superior? Or cooler? Or something?  Its not a bad movie, but if I had to compile a list for most overrated movies of the decade, this would be a strong contender.

SCREAM 4 - Second best one after the first movie.  This one is a blast and I was laughing a lot, especially with everything after the reveal at the end.

Just watched Encanto.  The movie itself was alright, entertaining but not amazing.  It was GORGEOUS though, so dazzling and fun to look at.  And Mirabel is very likeable.  Songs were good, I'm surprised but happy that "Bruno" is catching fire.  Overall 7/10.

Finished episode 5 of Arcane, I'm consistently blown away by how good this show looks. I'm digging the story as well, but I mainly just want to stare at how beautifully designed this world is. No idea what their budget was but it looks huge. Fuck this show for making me listen to Imagine Dragons though. There's no excuse for that.

• Like 3