Eric the Clown

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

This.

WB have been talking about marathon, not sprint, and lack of competition would allow for plenty of screen space, but that all assumes a great reception, which it clearly isn't receiving. This was a massive miscalculation, though it seems to be mostly related to the product itself and not the conditions. The virus will, of course, be a big factor in limiting openings (hence a big start but weak legs would not be an option), but when The Eight Hundred will most likely end up making more in China than Tenet does worldwide, it does show that money CAN be made, with the right product.

Studios might decide to still stick with their superhero flicks, since they're likely to bring audiences out, but Tenet is overconfidence going wrong. Ouch.

I’ll go with a little theory. Maybe they knew it was not going to do as well as films like Interstellar & Inception even in a non-virus situation. So you release it now and you get to hide behind the virus as an excuse for the film’s performance. 

This wasn't very good and i love Nolan. Clearly his worst film. Too convoluted and the finale wasn't as rewarding, emotional as usual in his films. Also, visually it was not up to his standards, especially cinematography was pretty pedestrian. The score was fine but not even close to Zimmer soundtracks.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Mulan is 78% on rotten tomatoes.

Disneys first live action remake to get decent reviews in years. After a string of rotten efforts (Aladdin, Lion King, Dumbo, Maleficent 2). Yet it’s not theatrical. Shame. 

RT fresh or not. Aladdin and Lion King were definitely liked by the audience especially Aladdin. Let's wait for audience reactions which matters the most.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nostalgia said:

RT fresh or not. Aladdin and Lion King were definitely liked by the audience especially Aladdin. Let's wait for audience reactions which matters the most.

Ah it’s ok, my post was about critics reviews.

Just pointing out that, after a run of critical duds, Mulan has broken the curse. 

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

This.

WB have been talking about marathon, not sprint, and lack of competition would allow for plenty of screen space, but that all assumes a great reception, which it clearly isn't receiving. This was a massive miscalculation, though it seems to be mostly related to the product itself and not the conditions. The virus will, of course, be a big factor in limiting openings (hence a big start but weak legs would not be an option), but when The Eight Hundred will most likely end up making more in China than Tenet does worldwide, it does show that money CAN be made, with the right product.

Studios might decide to still stick with their superhero flicks, since they're likely to bring audiences out, but Tenet is overconfidence going wrong. Ouch.

Wow, that's A LOT of bullshit!

We haven't even got the first DOM numbers yet, and you are already claiming 800's China total > Tenet WW? :rofl:

From what we know, weekdays has been great for Tenet OS, Germany is looking like a sub-30% drop for it, while Italia is also holding quite well. I see no reason to expect that this movie will finish under $400m WW, the WOM on this forums may not be great, but we have ZERO evidence that this movie is dropping like a rock. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Wow, that's A LOT of bullshit!

We haven't even got the first DOM numbers yet, and you are already claiming 800's China total > Tenet WW? :rofl:

From what we know, weekdays has been great for Tenet OS, Germany is looking like a sub-30% drop for it, while Italia is also holding quite well. I see no reason to expect that this movie will finish under $400m WW, the WOM on this forums may not be great, but we have ZERO evidence that this movie is dropping like a rock. 

Careful, you might get moderated for calling him out.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So, $3M from Tenet M/T sneaks in the US, which were much more limited in showings than what the weekend will be...seems like a good start for the weekend:)....it will be even better if W/Th sneaks in the US exceed those numbers:)...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I can’t quit thinking about this movie today.  Definitely will be getting a repeat viewing.  I had a solid crowd last night at my theater and there was definitely a lot of chatter about it afterwards. 

This movie may not universally well-liked but bottom line, it is unforgettable, for better or worse. 

• Like 1