Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Nolan already saved cinemas in the rest of the world and now After We Collided is breaking 2020 OD records across Europe. Cinema is saved. SILLY AMERICA AND ITS PVOD NONSENSE LOST. SUCK IT AMERICANS. GO CRY IN A CORNER.

This is even  silly to see them unable to stay at home during their version of lockdown to fight virus but they can stay at home to watch movie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4-Day predictions for this weekend's top 5 films at the domestic box office..

Rank Film (Distributor) Weekend
Gross
Total
Gross
%
Change
Week
#
1 Tenet
(Warner Bros.)
$26.5 M $38.0 M N/A 2
2 The New Mutants
(Disney / 20th Century)
$4.3 M $13.0 M -39% 2
3 Unhinged
(Solstice Studios)
$2.0 M $11.6 M -23% 4
4 Bill & Ted Face the Music
(United Artists Releasing / Orion)
$0.7 M $2.2 M -38% 2
5 The Personal History of David Copperfield
(Disney / Searchlight)
$0.5 M $1.1 M +5% 2
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It would be extremely underwhelming if Tenet wasn't over 30m by Sunday. I mean, it should already be about 10m if not more with the unreported Canada box office from last week and the Monday-Wednesday previews. 

I've honestly been of the mindset that getting over 20M is a win lol

• Like 1

Seeing Tenet tomorrow night. I've been streaming the soundtrack all day today and I can't state how fucking excited at the prospect of finally going back to the movie theater. It's been good to finally have something big to look forward to for once in several months.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

20m+ 3day would normally be a win, but Tenet has advantage of 4 additional days (which should amount to 5m+) and Canada. And then Monday's Labor Day gross. Should be closer to 40m, definitely over 30m

A lot of people probably have no clue about the sneak previews. 

• Like 2

Well, Tenet is apparently playing in a whopping four theaters in Washington (state), and none of their anywhere near me, so welp.

That said, I’m still excited to see how this weekend plays out. After months without numbers and the relatively meager chart-topping performances of Unhinged and The New Mutants, I’m stoked for a weekend north of $20 million.

• Like 3

I saw it last night. I'm in Canada, so it's been out for a week, and managed to get into a fully empty theatre to watch. 

I would be a little worried what empty screenings already mean for its domestic box office, but, I think American audiences will be less risk adverse. The challenge is that this is not an accessible film. Those that love Nolan films that feel safe will make their way to theatres. I'd be reluctant to recommend it to general audiences, as the confusing (but good) plot and sound mixing issues really will throw people off. 

It's an interesting test case for box office, but, not sure if it's going to have the legs to be successful in a social distancing environment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vafrow said:

It's an interesting test case for box office, but, not sure if it's going to have the legs to be successful in a social distancing environment.

This.

WB have been talking about marathon, not sprint, and lack of competition would allow for plenty of screen space, but that all assumes a great reception, which it clearly isn't receiving. This was a massive miscalculation, though it seems to be mostly related to the product itself and not the conditions. The virus will, of course, be a big factor in limiting openings (hence a big start but weak legs would not be an option), but when The Eight Hundred will most likely end up making more in China than Tenet does worldwide, it does show that money CAN be made, with the right product.

Studios might decide to still stick with their superhero flicks, since they're likely to bring audiences out, but Tenet is overconfidence going wrong. Ouch.

• ...wtf 2