Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Raya 2.5 Friday, T&J 1.6, Chaos 1.3

49 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

People in West are paying $20 for buying films on digital platforms 3 months after release. $30 on day and date release is quite okay IMO.

I get what you’re saying and technically you’re right but for example when I rented WW84 it cost me $34(with tax), if I didn’t have Disney+ and wanted to watch Raya it would cost me $53, so I think that’s part of the problem people are having with this rental price thing with Disney. 

• Like 1

Yeah, also feel like we already went over this with Mulan. The $30 price tag just isn’t made with individuals in mind, and it’s pretty brutal for them, but that’s just how it will be. If you price such that it’s attractive to a viewing party of one, it’s a total steal for the real target audience of households size 3-6 or whatever. An equilibrium where poeple pay $10 at a theater to see it solo and a family pays $30 instead of $40 on D+ is fine for Disney. An equilibrium where the solo is paying 15 for at-home convenience and the family is paying 15 instead of 40 is leaving a lot of money on the table.     

I personally think they should have experimented with 25 though.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah, also feel like we already went over this with Mulan. The $30 price tag just isn’t made with individuals in mind, and it’s pretty brutal for them, but that’s just how it will be. If you price such that it’s attractive to a viewing party of one, it’s a total steal for the real target audience of households size 3-6 or whatever. An equilibrium where poeple pay $10 at a theater to see it solo and a family pays $30 instead of $40 on D+ is fine for Disney. An equilibrium where the solo is paying 15 for at-home convenience and the family is paying 15 instead of 40 is leaving a lot of money on the table.     

I personally think they should have experimented with 25 though.

Yeah the problem for that is social distancing and covid. If they created a system that allowed for one purchase to enter a special code for up to three people that opens a separate special window where they all watch the film. Perhaps attached to the side of it where you can minimize a chat screen to virtually watch it together.

There are apps that already allow you to stream or watch content together perhaps there's some way to marry the two.

Edited by cdsacken

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, Cinemark booked the AEW Revolution sporting event for today (probably another reason they passed on Raya)...

Yeah I think that space is only going to grow. I wish they would improve the quality of their theaters.Even the new ones that are near me that are nice don't have leather seats.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

I get the sense that Disney is just ready to be done with all the movies they hyped up during the last D23 in August 2019 (Onward, Mulan, Soul, Jungle Cruise, Raya, Cruella...maybe Luca was first teased there too) unless it's the MCU by using whatever force majeure clause they have on them and moving on, especially when their 2022 is looking to be another year full of big IPs. Raya will be available for free on D+ in early June, which is around the same time it would've landed on there had it come out in its original Thanksgiving spot. It's too bad for the movies since these were unforeseen circumstances, but there really wasn't anything they could do, especially when D+ has been pretty much their only source of revenue this past year while all their other businesses have taken a beating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Buying a film on digital platform for $20 versus a one-time rental of $30 is completely different.

That's like a car payment to own for $200 versus a lease at $300. It absolutely should be the opposite

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if one bought PA for Raya, one could watch it as many times as they wanted while it was still in the PA tier.

*checks*

Disney Plus Premier Access is a purchase option for Disney Plus subscribers, enabling members to pay an extra $30 one-time fee to gain early streaming access to a movie. Once purchased, Disney Plus members can continue to stream or download a Premier Access movie for as long as they remain a subscriber. 

Yeah, that's what I thought.  Still doesn't work out if one is only planning on watching it once without too many people.  But quickly becomes a bargain if re-watches come into play or if people come over to see it at different times.

Your overall point is still true, but I wanted to point out that once bought, it's bought for as long as one is a member.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if one bought PA for Raya, one could watch it as many times as they wanted while it was still in the PA tier.

*checks*

Yeah, that's what I thought.  Still doesn't work out if one is only planning on watching it once without too many people.  But quickly becomes a bargain if re-watches come into play or if people come over to see it at different times.

Your overall point is still true, but I wanted to point out that once bought, it's bought for as long as one is a member.

Which is worse that Prime...I've dropped Prime and re-added a year later, and all digital content I bought was always available.  I never lose access (at least not yet) to digital product I've bought whether or not I'm a member, which might be why Amazon subscribers don't mind purchases as much...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Which is worse that Prime...I've dropped Prime and re-added a year later, and all digital content I bought was always available.  I never lose access (at least not yet) to digital product I've bought whether or not I'm a member, which might be why Amazon subscribers don't mind purchases as much...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly singing the praises of Disney's PA implementation.  Just the opposite as I'm not really a fan of the idea.  But it's not quite as draconian as it might seem.  Somewhat in the middle between a rental title and buying a DVD/BR. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

All this does is promote leasing movies for a lifetime, though.  

I'm shocked at how bad Raya tanked. I would never imagine it would do less than Tom and Jerry.

Dead at how Jason Kilar proved everyone wrong. When WarnerMedia announced the WB/HBO Max release strategy everyone was saying they were killing theaters, but in reality they are saving them. Without the successful openings of Wonder Woman 84, The Little Things and now Tom and Jerry, studios would probably panic at the Raya and Chaos Walking numbers just like when Tenet bombed, and we would be getting a lot of delays until probably late 2021.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm shocked at how bad Raya tanked. I would never imagine it would do less than Tom and Jerry.

Dead at how Jason Kilar proved everyone wrong. When WarnerMedia announced the WB/HBO Max release strategy everyone was saying they were killing theaters, but in reality they are saving them. Without the successful openings of Wonder Woman 84, The Little Things and now Tom and Jerry, studios would probably panic at the Raya and Chaos Walking numbers just like when Tenet bombed, and we would be getting a lot of delays until probably late 2021.

I said last year, I thought WB had a great strategy for everyone, b/c it brought certainty to everyone in the movie chain.  HBO Max new subscribers knew they were getting X amount of new movies and what dates, theaters knew they were getting X amount of new movies at a new reduced fee rate and on what dates, and WB knew they could keep their product now rolling and fresh, so they could keep starting new movies, while releasing their holdover product, to keep the industry moving.

At the time, I called it a Win/Win/Win for everyone.  As we sit here today, it's probably an even bigger 3-way win than I thought.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

For me going to the movies before cost about $40-50 in just tickets so owning a movie for $30 at home and which I can then use for family viewings with others just seems like a huge steal. 

So I like Disney +'s model and at this point even with their Marvel movies they need to just rip off the band aid and release the films on Disney + under a premiere access. Holding on to the movies at this point is just dumb.And it's costing them more money holding them then releasing them. 

21 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

For me going to the movies before cost about $40-50 in just tickets so owning a movie for $30 at home and which I can then use for family viewings with others just seems like a huge steal. 

So I like Disney +'s model and at this point even with their Marvel movies they need to just rip off the band aid and release the films on Disney + under a premiere access. Holding on to the movies at this point is just dumb.And it's costing them more money holding them then releasing them. 

agreed with not releasing their movies. I'm willing to bet that post Pandemic, movie theaters aren't going to recover bigly. they will be likely niche social gathering like going to a sports stadium. Yeah they are nice and the experience can't match at home, but most people don't go to stadiums. They are content with watching the game at home.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

58 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I said last year, I thought WB had a great strategy for everyone, b/c it brought certainty to everyone in the movie chain.  HBO Max new subscribers knew they were getting X amount of new movies and what dates, theaters knew they were getting X amount of new movies at a new reduced fee rate and on what dates, and WB knew they could keep their product now rolling and fresh, so they could keep starting new movies, while releasing their holdover product, to keep the industry moving.

At the time, I called it a Win/Win/Win for everyone.  As we sit here today, it's probably an even bigger 3-way win than I thought.

I mean they did piss off a lot of people in the industry and they obviously didn't grow their platform that well. It was a great way for them to be lazy and create less of their own content. I think the reaction was mixed. Some benefits and certainly some downsides

7 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

agreed with not releasing their movies. I'm willing to bet that post Pandemic, movie theaters aren't going to recover bigly. they will be likely niche social gathering like going to a sports stadium. Yeah they are nice and the experience can't match at home, but most people don't go to stadiums. They are content with watching the game at home.

The PVOD model has already proven to be a massive failure, like work from home streaming PVOD is not going to be the new norm. I do agree with your take that movie theaters won't recover to their pre-pandemic levels. However we may end up having less theaters overall which could make the existing theaters that remain still pretty busy. Especially if they pivot to special events like Cinemark is doing and find ways to diversify their use.

Edited by cdsacken

It's clear that many are watching Raya through Disney+ Premier Access, it seems to do well there :)

It's gonna send a strong, powerful message to Disney: more choices, more options => good for consumers and they want this!

It might be the beginning of a new era, and the theater chains who are boycotting Raya only made Premier Accesseven more appealing as it'll be the only options in the areas of boycott. It'd be a delicious example of backfiring! :)

Consumers are winning :shades:

CleverScornfulBuffalo-size_restricted.gi

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

All this does is promote leasing movies for a lifetime, though.  

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago.

==

Honestly, I'm more pissed at Disney seemingly abandoning the DVD/BR/UHD market.

Like, where the hell is my Mando BR set, Disney!  :rant:

I better get it eventually, because if it's gonna be hidden behind the D+ streaming service pawwall forever and ever and I have to download god knows how many GBs of data to get my Mando fix, I am gonna be a very unhappy bunny.  :rant:  

Speaking of which...

19 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It's gonna send a strong, powerful message to Disney: more choices, more options => good for consumers and they want this.

Disney NOT putting their newest content on DVD/BR/UHD shows that they aren't exactly as committed to giving consumers "more options" than you might think.

Between us, I presume the ultimate endgame/hope for Disney would be that everything they have is behind their D+ streaming service and unavailable elsewhere.  On demand at least, as they probably will still allow content to be shown on mutlichannel services. Probably. Which is another reason to be somewhat skeptical of the D+ model.

You might think I'm being a bit paranoid here, but both Tele and I lived through the Great VHS/Betamax Wars of the 80s and 90s so we know all too well just what studios can and will do if they think they can get away with it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3