Eric Deetz

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Y'all. Really? For $200K? 

Not sure what your "really" is for. Most folks posting are mentioning that the previews are good. The only ones having a meltdown so far...are the posters who always have a meltdown for everything. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

https://deadline.com/2021/08/ryan-reynolds-free-guy-weekend-box-office-1234814231/

Stage 6 Films and Screen Gems’ R-rated horror thriller Don’t Breathe 2 took in $965K last night off shows starting at 7 p.m. in 2,575 locations. The studio is eyeing $8M-$10M.

MGM/United Artists’ Respect had great Thursday night as well with $650K besting the preview night results of Harriet and Blackklansman which were $600K each.  A high single digit result is expected.

• Like 4

Variety posted about the previews... Pointing to a disappointing $ 15-18M OW because of Delta.

Honestly i can't understand how big sites like this can be so bad in their work. Not only make the previews looks bad but also make an unreasonable prediction for the weekend blaming Delta and saying people are too afraid. How this helps the industry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gotta admit here that Don't Breathe's number was something I expected until yesterday, but the walk-ups I had yesterday for Don't Breathe were so otherworldly that I'm kind of confused and bummed that it just missed 1M.

Yes I know that this number is still fine and the film will be profitable and yadda yadda yadda.

7 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Not sure what your "really" is for. Most folks posting are mentioning that the previews are good. The only ones having a meltdown so far...are the posters who always have a meltdown for everything. 

Not you calling me out like this :raining:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Variety posted about the previews... Pointing to a disappointing $ 15-18M OW because of Delta.

Honestly i can't understand how big sites like this can be so bad in their work. Not only make the previews looks bad but also make an unreasonable prediction for the weekend blaming Delta and saying people are too afraid. How this helps the industry?

Because they're not actually projecting this stuff, but just talking about the tracking expectations prior to opening. Even before COVID, when the trades talk about a movie even after the previews drop, they just say what the movie's tracking projections were and don't adjust when previews land. Endgame could have earned $3 million in previews and Deadline would have still been all "The film is still tracking for a $300M opening weekend".

Don't ask me why they do it. Maybe they're only allowed to report what they were given or don't have a model to adjust or something along those lines.

• Like 4

Seems like ok numbers for all 3 based on the environment we are in. I'd be happy if FG can get to mid 20's.

Will be interested to see where we stand on Sunday (also interested to see what the drop is for TSS this weekend).

7-9M for Don't Breathe and Respect is why many theaters are starting to cut back hours and screens this week. It's better to have a weekend like July 23 where four titles are between 10-17M and the overall weekend is over 70M vs last week where everything was 4M or less aside from TSS and JC with a total box office of 65M. Cancelling empty showings of stuff like Black Widow/Green Knight/Stillwater for more showings of a 25-30M opener doesn't help much. This weekend might cross 70M, but it'll be the last one to do so in quite a while unless Shang-Chi opens over 50M. Hour/screen reductions will get worse next week since none of the new openers are guaranteed to hit 10M and Free Guy will be down to mid-teens.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Seems like ok numbers for all 3 based on the environment we are in. I'd be happy if FG can get to mid 20's.

Will be interested to see where we stand on Sunday (also interested to see what the drop is for TSS this weekend).

Anybody care to make TSS drop guesses? 

I’ll go spicy and say….55%.