Eric Prime

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Sony can't undo their shit now and simply drop the movie in 20 days (less in OS countries).

It's over, they really fucked up this movie potential of having 2 weeks of 0 competition.

I also think Paramount shouldn't be delayed Top Gun for another 6 months.

Wasn't a huge fan of the movie, I thought it was okay, but it was also distinctively different from a typical Marvel movie (maybe not structure-wise but stylistically), so I am really glad it's performing well. Good fights sequences in there too. Rooting for it, definitely.

Also, save the theaters !:jedi:

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Sony can't undo their shit now and simply drop the movie in 20 days (less in OS countries).

It's over, they really fucked up this movie potential of having 2 weeks of 0 competition.

I also think Paramount shouldn't be delayed Top Gun for another 6 months.

Maybe all studio agree that BB4L was there at the top for too long, it is time to send something to beat it down.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I have no time for holdhovers' math. Is that good for Candyman and Free Guy? What are we looking at for the 4 days weekend for both?

It’s good for Candyman. ~$10.7m 3 day (-51%) and ~$13.3m 4 day potentially. 

Considering it made 25% of its gross last week from PLF’s and lost them all to Shang-Chi, it’s good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think The Suicide Squad flopping spooked Sony.

Venom probably would've opened to 85+m with plenty of breathing room.

Scared money don't make money! :Venom:

The Irony is that the completely wrong lesson that was learned from The Suicide Squad.

The Joker dynamic was utterly, utterly underestimated. Doesn't matter that Leto was unpopular. Doesn't matter how little the Joker was in Suicide Squad. The Joker was in the first and not the second, and the Joker is a generationally proven box office goldmine. This was the single biggest, by a mile, non-COVID factor in Suicide Squad v The Suicide Squad AFAIC.

If anything the lesson should have been "Jesus, THAT'S how much the difference there is between having one of the two ultra famous fashionable antihero type figures with a cool design in your movie and not having one???? I realised those were popular but not THAT popular.....best rush out our sequel of the only comparable ultra famous antihero with a cool design and get those fashionable antihero $s".

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

If Shang Chi can beat BW DOM then it's quite the statement against Premium Access. 

If SC alone can defeat the entire suicide squad (both are equally unknown in their context) in just one weekend, that is even a bigger statement against HBO MAX free access. 

• Thanks 1