Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Wow, it’s been a while. 

I have done my part as an Asian Marvel fanatic and watched Shangchi in theater just now. 

Loved everything about it. I’m feeling catered to in the best way.

Really happy to see the great numbers it’s pulling so far. Well deserved. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4

In fact, if you look at the Sat-Sun holds for Labor Day weekend in 2017/18/19 you’ll see borderline flat, and in some cases increases on the Sunday. 

If $22 million is a reality for Saturday then minimum $20 million is actually quite likely for Sunday. 

We’re in good shape. 

• Like 1

So much about this is impressive.  This is a little known character in the Marvel Universe, we are still in a pandemic, there are not insignificant number of theaters that either closed for good, still aren't open or operating on reduced capacity because of labor issues and it is a non-traditional holiday weekend with the opening of college football.  

The fact this could do as high as $75m for the 3 day if everything goes right, is incredible. 

• Like 15
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

10% above true Friday and way above Deadline's $19.5m isn't meh on any level.  

Deadline’s num was a joke from the jump, why would I care how it compares to that? I won’t call 10% meh but 6% would be slightly on the meh side for me from looking at Labor Day and MCU history. 

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

So much about this is impressive.  This is a little known character in the Marvel Universe, we are still in a pandemic, there are not insignificant number of theaters that either closed for good, still aren't open or operating on reduced capacity because of labor issues and it is a non-traditional holiday weekend with the opening of college football.  

The fact this could do as high as $75m for the 3 day if everything goes right, is incredible. 

Needs a bit more than 22M today to reach 75M tho. 70M seem like a sure thing which is great. I was hoping for 85M+ on the 4 days but it mighy be just under that. Still fantastic tho.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Quite unpleased by this. Not bad. Not great. It is just... there.

Expected number. I can see it go a bit high but don't want repeat of last few days when folks just start crying over $200K.

BTW FRI may be bit inflated due to Ida shifting some business from THU.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Deadline’s num was a joke from the jump, why would I care how it compares to that? I won’t call 10% meh but 6% would be slightly on the meh side for me from looking at Labor Day and MCU history. 

If it happens, the gross is still great thanks to awesome fri, it’s only the % behavior that will be a little meh.    

Also would want to see other Saturday numbers — I have heard anecdotally of some schools making this a 4day weekend (FSSM) instead of the usual 3day SSM. Perhaps related to covid. That would make the Tfri more summer like and partially explain the strong Tfri/Th ratio. There’s also the Ida situation as a bit of a wildcard.

So I’m not calling anything meh yet, and I won’t until we get Sat actuals for all movies. I’m just saying that a 22.5+ makes more sense to me from the Fri num and considering it’s not even 6 PM yet it should be totally possible 🤞

Edited by Lokis Legion

37 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Hope we have a repeat of last night here. This would be non-disastrous but pretty meh

How is 22m meh? This means SC does $70M+ opening which is still great.

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

How is 22m meh? This means SC does $70M+ opening which is still great.

70+ has been evident since last night, a 6% lift from Tfri would be a bit on the weaker side looking at past MCUs and adjusting for past Labor days. You can read my post or two just above for more thoughts.

OMG. There's no saving from meltdowns ehh? Fine its 22.5, with a small very small chance at 23. Happy?

Now don't @ me when it end up doing 22.8 or 22.4. You did it yourself.

It is very likely FRI is inflated due to IDA pushing some business off THU to FRI, so think it of as if 22.5M off a 20M FRI.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 13

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

OMG. There's no saving from meltdowns ehh? Fine its 22.5, with a small very small chance at 23. Happy?

Now don't @ me when it end up doing 22.8 or 22.4. You did it yourself.

It is very likely FRI is inflated due to IDA pushing some business off THU to FRI, so think it of as if 22.5M off a 20M FRI.

So it will be around 21 then? 😉

Edited by Ryaner90