Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

I do wonder cause of SC’s overperformance on the likelihood of more films moving to Labor Day weekend. There’s a lot of stuff stuck together in the 2022 calendar as films like The Flash, Spider-Verse 2, John Wick 4, Transformers, or Beasts 3.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Good info from Deadline if one ignores the B.O. projections <_<

Marvel gets its 16th ‘A’ CinemaScore here with Shang-Chi (we’re not counting A-s or A+s in there), with Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak scores of 91% positive and a super 78% recommend. Kids under 12 gave it 93% in the top two boxes and a 70% recommend. Shang-Chi pulled in 62% males, 51% under 25 and the moviegoing dominant quad of 18-34 at 60%.  Diversity mix was 36% Caucasian, 23% Asian/other, 23% Latino and 18% Black. 

Called it.  MCU has over 40% female attendance lately but I knew this would go below the average. Their movies always skew male, including female-led ones, though Eternals could reverse the trend thanks to romance being central to the plot. 

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not this year - no.  They are seeming to stay home more than in the past...Black Widow probably brought the most out by actual physical purchase...

"Black Widow was guy-heavy at 58%, with 52% under 25, and close to half the audience between 18-34. Diversity demos were 46% Caucasian, 21% Latino, 16% Black, and 18% Asian/other. " https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-widow-opening-weekend-box-office-1234789473/

Asians are coming out in full force for Marvel these days. Once their audience share was the lowest, now it's third, behind Caucasian and Latino. 23% for SC and 18% for BW. 

3 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Top 5 for this weekend:

2.) Candyman (Uni) 3,569 theaters Fri $2.8M/3-day $10.4M/4-day: $13.3M/Total $41.7M/Wk 2

Called it. Said last week that it wasn't going to crash thanks to WOM and holiday and that it would chug along nicely without competition. Should get to 70M+ total. 

Okay just watched the film here in Singapore.. Now i know why word of mouth in some parts of Asia is mediocre.. I was rooting for it but was very disappointed especially with the 3rd act.

Fight scenes were okay (if you don't pay attention to the very obvious stunt doubles especially for Tony Leung...His acting was good though). 3rd act was too long and too much (bad) CGI imo.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Is DEH more of a US thing? I’m in the UK and consider myself fairly up to date on most forms of entertainment, but I’ve genuinely never heard of DEH or the guy who stars in it until pretty much a few months ago. 

Yeh I’ve never heard of it either, but it sounds quite good. 

Really good numbers for SC. I said back in the BW opening weekend thread I thought this would open higher then BW and even though it may not happen it’s still nice to see it doing so well. Hoping I can see it in a few weeks when the vaccine passports come into place here. 

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I wonder if the policy that only allow vaccinated group in cinema actually lead faster recovery since many hesitate risk-averse group are now feel safer to come back cinema

I doubt it because anti-vax would be turned away so that would balance out any advantage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Borobudur said:

The drop is a bit harsh for a labour day hold, judging just how well FG hold in the past 2 weeks, but SC is here, how big everyone else can be?

3.) Free Guy (20th/Dis) 3,885 theaters (-55) Fri $2.1M/3-day $8.9M (-32%)/4-day $11.4M/Total $94.5M/Wk 4

FG suffer harsh under SC. In fact, if you took at preview, this friday w-o-w hold is worse than FG's 2nd friday, a friday that a film drop the harsh. I thought this could hit 100m by Labour day, seem like we have to wait for one more week for that milestone. Final total likely to be at 120m, unless some crazy hold throughout empty Sep.   

52 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I wonder if the policy that only allow vaccinated group in cinema actually lead faster recovery since many hesitate risk-averse group are now feel safer to come back cinema

If the threat of not being let in for the latest MCU movie isn’t enough for the youngsters to get their shots, nothing is. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

If the threat of not being let in for the latest MCU movie isn’t enough for the youngsters to get their shots, nothing is. 

I’d hope protecting themselves and other people would be good enough reason to get the vaccine lol.  

But with the way people act these days, I wouldn’t be surprised if a marvel film was a reason for a handful of people getting the jag. Yikes for humanity if so lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Felandria said:

Rent was bigger than Dear Evan Hansen

The Producers was bigger than Dear Evan Hansen

Cats was bigger than Dear Evan Hansen

Dear Evan Hansen being bigger than In The Heights doesn’t mean much.

No one's saying popular stage musicals don't fail as movies, but name recognition helps. Mainly, they have to be adapted in a way that lets the story stand on its own on film. Still, you need to draw in a broader audience beyond the Broadway fans. In the Heights was cinematic looking but the trailers couldn't sell a story that enough nonfans cared about. I wouldn't say the trailers didn't capture the movie accurately, but ITH is just not a movie that should have had a $55 million budget and been proclaimed in advance as a blockbuster.

Rent, Cats and The Producers all had major issues as movie adaptations: Cats probably shouldn't have been made a movie and definitely not by Tom Hooper. The Producers was too stagey, and the Rent cast was too old by the time they made it, also the story didn't play the same way in 2005 that it had in the nineties. Dear Evan Hansen doesn't have a "dated" plot, at least. Morally questionable, possibly, but that's a different issue.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Felandria said:

Rent was bigger than Dear Evan Hansen

The Producers was bigger than Dear Evan Hansen

Cats was bigger than Dear Evan Hansen

Dear Evan Hansen being bigger than In The Heights doesn’t mean much.

Cats was probably one of the worst productions ever created and then the movie was even worse. The movie actually lost money and it deserved to lose more.

Rent the production was infinitely better than the movie which had good spots and plenty of bad ones.

I think Dear Evan Hansen will do good. I'm surprised you think it's so small the film itself had a hundred million dollar budget.

Also for the record cats in the US did 453 million on 7,485 shows. Dear Evan Hansen did 226 million on 1256 shows so comparing them is ridiculous. Cats of course would have done way more 30 years later too so it's hard to debate either way.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

Can definitely see why Shang-Chi is getting good WOM. Well done film minus the terrible CGI in the 3rd act. Wife and I haven't seen a movie without kiddos since Spiderman in 19, so a nice date as well 😁

Awesome Friday and our dead to the world little rural theater was busy for the current timeframe. Also love our $5 matinees. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Cats was probably one of the worst productions ever created and then the movie was even worse. The movie actually lost money and it deserved to lose more.

Rent the production was infinitely better than the movie which had good spots and plenty of bad ones.

I think Dear Evan Hansen will do good. I'm surprised you think it's so small the film itself had a hundred million dollar budget.

Also for the record cats in the US did 453 million on 7,485 shows. Dear Evan Hansen did 226 million on 1256 shows so comparing them is ridiculous. Cats of course would have done way more 30 years later too so it's hard to debate either way.

We watched CATS last night (our Netflix dvd of the week)..... its like a nightmare, totally not sure what it was supposed to be and I cant for the life of me figure out why a past generation thought the stage musical was great 😬

• Haha 1