Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

I personally dont think that we know the true strength of grosses san china yet... bw  could have show us the way but it was heavily compromised imo had bw not being pa we could be looking at a 500- 550 mill sans china .. why you might ask .1) if it had a relatively normal multi from previews we would be looking at an ow of 92-100 with normal and even on a pessimistic side summer,legs 2.7 we would have a final dom total of 250-270 or so imo same applies to os...and thats without some crazy multis or the contribution of south east asia....Anyway lets see how mr shang will hold but yeah i dont think that we know the real ceiling yet

Edited by john2000

If SC reach 400M-China it will be only the second Hollywood movie to do that since March 2020 and only now Delta is a thing.

I agreed is not ideal but seems like it's what big movies can get, maybe +500M if it's a really big movie. What guarantee they have things will be different in a few months when data of the last 18 months all points the same? 

There's nothing normal yet and it won't be normal anytime soon, despite that everything needs to go forward including Hollywood. The market is sustainable enough, we have the ultimate proof this weekend, imo that's all that matters. 

• Like 1

So, off topic, but maybe on point for the fall if Cinemark knows something I don't...

In an ad yesterday, they talked about getting Movie Club and seeing all the great movies this fall...now, maybe those movies advertised and maybe they didn't to get there...or maybe Cinemark knows what's planning to jump to 2022 (and I guess I'll have to admit that I'd be surprised, but this seems like the same foreshadowing that "see Ghostbusters this Thanksgiving" was at my Tuesday Free Guy viewing)...anyway, here are the big movies they listed...

Shang Chi

Paw Patrol

Dear Evan Hansen

Addams Family 2

Eternals

Ghostbusters

Dune

No Time To Die

Halloween Kills'

The Last Duel

West Side Story

Sing 2

So, as you can see, 2 GLARING omissions (and the studio is STILL included, so they didn't just skip it)...so I guess my kid might actually get to see Halloween Kills for his next movie:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, off topic, but maybe on point for the fall if Cinemark knows something I don't...

In an ad yesterday, they talked about getting Movie Club and seeing all the great movies this fall...now, maybe those movies advertised and maybe they didn't to get there...or maybe Cinemark knows what's planning to jump to 2022 (and I guess I'll have to admit that I'd be surprised, but this seems like the same foreshadowing that "see Ghostbusters on Thanksgiving" was at my Tuesday Free Guy viewing)...anyway, here are the big movies they listed...

Shang Chi

Paw Patrol

Dear Evan Hansen

Addams Family 2

Eternals

Ghostbusters

Dune

No Time To Die

Halloween Kills'

The Last Duel

West Side Story

Sing 2

So, as you can see, 2 GLARING omissions (and the studio is STILL included, so they didn't just skip it)...so I guess my kid might actually get to see Halloween Kills for his next movie:)...

Yeah, i think the only studio with big movies that really need box office is Sony.

Ghostbusters is probably not that expensive and doesn't have that much potential so i think is gonna stay. But Venom and NWH i can see they moving waiting for some miracle next year.

Also Matrix isn't on the list...

Let's see how things goes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i think the only studio with big movies that really need box office is Sony.

Ghostbusters is probably not that expensive and doesn't have that much potential so i think is gonna stay. But Venom and NWH i can see they moving waiting for some miracle next year.

You're right - I missed Matrix, too, although they said "Fall" and it technically comes out in "winter" right?  Although Sing 2 might also be technically be "winter", but maybe it was filling out the grid:)...

Spidey, since it opens a week earlier, is technically "fall"...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In an ad yesterday, they talked about getting Movie Club and seeing all the great movies this fall...now, maybe those movies advertised and maybe they didn't to get there...or maybe Cinemark knows what's planning to jump to 2022 (and I guess I'll have to admit that I'd be surprised, but this seems like the same foreshadowing that "see Ghostbusters this Thanksgiving" was at my Tuesday Free Guy viewing)...anyway, here are the big movies they listed...

Shang Chi

Paw Patrol

Dear Evan Hansen

Addams Family 2

Eternals

Ghostbusters

Dune

No Time To Die

Halloween Kills'

The Last Duel

West Side Story

Sing 2

I would read little to nothing into that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Ghostbuster has a ton of potential and is going to be a huge crowd pleasing hit for them.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Shang Chi

Paw Patrol

Dear Evan Hansen

Addams Family 2

Eternals

Ghostbusters

Dune

No Time To Die

Halloween Kills'

The Last Duel

West Side Story

Sing 2

If Spiderman is 2022, then 2021 is over for me. I'm not getting my hopes up about PTA's movie anymore.

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Ghostbuster has a ton of potential and is going to be a huge crowd pleasing hit for them.  

I believe that, but it's not a billion dollar potential like Venom or NWH, so if they really need to choose something to wait better overseas numbers like Paramount apparently did, it will probably be these two.

So I guess no more guesses. 

My original intention was to have 21+ as its first issue of Shang Chi in 2021.

Though I should have seen possibility to decipher 21.17 or 21.7, because that is quite likely if evening go as planned.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2