Eric Loves Rey

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I believe that, but it's not a billion dollar potential like Venom or NWH, so if they really need to choose something to wait better overseas numbers like Paramount apparently did, it will probably be these two.

As horror and some comedy, It is the least internationally appealing (if we go by regular DOM/INT splits for genres), so yeah, it's the gimme fall release of the three, if you must release one...especially with the likely lower budget and needed revenue for profit (since I can't imagine unknown kid stars are expensive, nor is a Stranger Things vibe)...

(PS - I can't believe the 2016 version cost $144M -  damn)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

I didn't watched it with much attention, but won't be surprised if Sony gets their Jumanji 2.0.

This isn't a December release though. Probably will get destroyed by Encanto on its 2nd weekend and December is incredibly crowded (WSS, Spider-man, Sing 2 going for all the demos this would have).

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

This isn't a December release though. Probably will get destroyed by Encanto on its 2nd weekend and December is incredibly crowded (WSS, Spider-man, Sing 2 going for all the demos this would have).

See, that was also missing from the Cinemark ad:)...

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Nope.  It's a damn good movie.  

The other one was also decently critically well-received too tho. Unless this gets 90% or something on RT, doubt good reviews is going to shift the opening for this by much (legs is another story and I think the movie needs a good opening to survive).

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I guess no more guesses. 

My original intention was to have 21+ as its first issue of Shang Chi in 2021.

Though I should have seen possibility to decipher 21.17 or 21.7, because that is quite likely if evening go as planned.

It's probably not, but I thought that was a 21 in the signature next to Spider-Man's hand...

• Like 1

Ghostbusters feels like a completely dead franchise at this point. Gives me Suicide Squad or Terminator Dark Vibes vibes in a way following the 2016 film which did well despite budget and had A-list comedy stars but very bad word of mouth/average critic reviews. The whole idea to frame new film around nostalgia will probably backfire

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

The other one was also decently critically well-received too tho. Unless this gets 90% or something on RT, doubt good reviews is going to shift this by much. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with the 2016 version, and I'm not just talking about critics reviews.  This is a 4 quad nostalgic crowd pleasing film that is genuinely funny, and touching as well.  

Whatever stigma you think this one has with the 2016 version, it doesn't.  They couldn't be more different and unrelated.  

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Ghostbusters feels like a completely dead franchise at this point. Gives me Suicide Squad or Terminator Dark Vibes vibes in a way following the 2016 film which did well despite budget and had A-list comedy stars but very bad word of mouth/average critic reviews. The whole idea to frame new film around nostalgia will probably backfire

Nostalgia plays in, but it is also fresh and new with a great and really funny cast.  

Whatever, keep thinking this won't do well.  You'll all eat a big ol' plate of crow on November 19th when this comes out.  

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with the 2016 version, and I'm not just talking about critics reviews.  This is a 4 quad nostalgic crowd pleasing film that is genuinely funny, and touching as well.  

Whatever stigma you think this one has with the 2016 version, it doesn't.  They couldn't be more different and unrelated.  

Doesn't matter if this has nothing to do with the 2016 version has as long as the Ghostbusters name is there. There are a bunch of crowdpleasers coming out in succession going for the same audiences after this comes out too (unlike something like Free Guy, which had August all to itself).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Nostalgia plays in, but it is also fresh and new with a great and really funny cast.  

Whatever, keep thinking this won't do well.  You'll all eat a big ol' plate of crow on November 19th when this comes out.  

I agree with you:)...if theaters are open, I see a $100M+ DOM total movie...not a Venom or Spidey level hit, but one that will pull a Croods 2, especially if Encanto does get out of the way...

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Doesn't matter if this has nothing to do with the 2016 version has as long as the Ghostbusters name is there. There are a bunch of crowdpleasers coming out in succession going for the same audiences after this comes out too (unlike something like Free Guy).

That is really odd thinking.  This isn't a Suicide Squad situation.  Almost nobody remembers or gives a shit about the 2016 version, they remember and love the first 2 movies.  Much like nobody that follows Indiana Jones remembers or acknowledges that Crystal Skull exists.  

This has built in good will that will withstand and understand why the 2016 version is an offshoot.  

Again, I have to remind myself that most of you are going off only the short amount of footage you have seen and little to no idea what the movie has in store coupled with being able to latch onto the 2016 version.  

I can admit I didn't think much going into seeing it a few weeks ago, but to sit there and listen to a huge crowd respond to it and how it played to an audience, it completely changed my mind.  I suspect the same will happen to millions of others as well.  

• Like 3