Eric Loves Rey

Weekday Numbers (9/7-9) | Shang-Chi 6.62M Tuesday

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, it's 6pm EST - is Disney not providing Wednesday box office for their movies.

Seems weird b/c box office didn't seem bad for a Wednesday...

that would be a first either you report the dailies or you dont......

Just now, john2000 said:

https://deadline.com/2021/09/halloween-kills-going-theatrical-day-date-on-peacock-1234829826/

Why is Uni doing this in the wake of moviegoers’ great return to theaters for Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings, that pic having cleared $106M?

So, $4.7-$4.8M is the min and $5.7-$5.8M is the max...

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, $4.7-$4.8M is the min and $5.7-$5.8M is the max...

Given Keyser's update I would guess the lower end. Not sure though since there was a huge MTC2/MTC1 split. I don't get why they won't just report the number. Even 4.8 would be perfectly ok. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Given Keyser's update I would guess the lower end. Not sure though since there was a huge MTC2/MTC1 split. I don't get why they won't just report the number. Even 4.8 would be perfectly ok. 

4,8 would be 28% or so very very good.....we also dont know about free guy or jungle cruise....

of course even yesterday there was a difference of 2-3 hours from when candyman weekday was published and when shangs did

Edited by john2000

There was a day last week, may have been for Wednesdays number as well that Disney's didnt come in until like after 8pm cst. It was ridiculously late, but since there wasnt anything big to track nobody really paid attention. 

It is weird though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exomassey said:

So is deadline guessing or do you think Deadline have actually seen numbers?

4.8 or higher would be impressive. I won’t get my hopes up though.

thats the best strategy...as for the number honestly i have no idea....it would be surpising though if they pulled this number out of thin air

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exomassey said:

So is deadline guessing or do you think Deadline have actually seen numbers?

4.8 or higher would be impressive. I won’t get my hopes up though.

Deadline has sources for the numbers I'm pretty sure. That's how they often report a daily right before Disney officially reports it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Deadline has sources for the numbers I'm pretty sure. That's how they often report a daily right before Disney officially reports it. 

if thats the case.... and they are right then minimum would be 4,7 mill.... but from the moment that they just say that it crossed 106...the real number could be closer to 5 or so

The Halloween decision is crazy. Who would sign up for Peacock to watch a Halloween movie?  It’s a sequel to a huge horror hit. You know, the one genre that’s been doing consistently well in theaters during the pandemic. We were about to have a huge IP horror sequel arrive, and they screw it over by thinking it’ll help them get subscribers? Lol. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The Halloween decision is crazy. Who would sign up for Peacock to watch a Halloween movie?  It’s a sequel to a huge horror hit. You know, the one genre that’s been doing consistently well in theaters during the pandemic. We were about to have a huge IP horror sequel arrive, and they screw it over by thinking it’ll help them get subscribers? Lol. 

Huh

Innnnnteresting.

Seems Universal has been trying to do this all year long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Huh

Innnnnteresting.

Seems Universal has been trying to do this all year long.

And the directors were correct to not allow it and box office is good for both. So why dont they learn from previous mistakes and keep the same fixed strategy when clearly horror sequels (even with mediocre reviews) have been performing above expectation and showing decent legs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

And the directors were correct to not allow it and box office is good for both. So why dont they learn from previous mistakes and keep the same fixed strategy when clearly horror sequels (even with mediocre reviews) have been performing above expectation and showing decent legs.

Universal?  Wants to establish Peacock (Premium), presumably.

Creators?  Well in the case of Halloween Kills, I don't like to speculate, but getting all da money upfront is always an incentive.  And if it keeps them in Universal's good graces when it comes to Halloween's End?  Well, there's a calculation to be made here as well.