MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

alden my king. i hear he's playing a bomb expert after his experience with SOLO.

Marketing team is clearly telling Nolan to cast past A-listers/near A-listers for the free marketing that will pop up.

Edited by excel1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Nolan has never gotten one of those and I doubt this will be his first unless it’s his most conventionally Oscar bait project but he’s by no means an actors Director 

Legit insane take. Not saying it will get a nom fot sure. But def think Nolan always gets really good performances out of his actors

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Insert obligatory gif of Marion Cotillard’s death in TDKR

Tbh I don't think a bad take invalidates in general usually pretty strong work from most actors involved in his films. Just his films tend to not be ones that end up as showcases for actors, but I don't think that means he hasn't gotten good performances out of them.

Edited by MrPink

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Tbh I don't think a bad take invalidates in general usually pretty strong work from most actors involved in his films.

I actually don’t have a problem with the performances in his films. I just figured that someone was going to inevitably bring that one up. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I actually don’t have a problem with the performances in his films. I just figured that someone was going to inevitably bring that one up. 

ya but i'm a sensitive bitch

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Legit insane take. Not saying it will get a nom fot sure. But def think Nolan always gets really good performances out of his actors

How is it an insane take? I wouldn't disagree he's gotten some good performances (McConaughey!) but it's pretty clear the industry doesn't view him that way--it's not like he's a David O. Russell. I think he's viewed as a big visual tech artist first and foremost (hence the ridiculous "cold" complaints). His actors have ever only gotten 1 nomination and it was because Ledger gave one of the best performances ever as an iconic villain. Nobody from Dunkirk gained any acting traction. He's never made it into the SAG Ensemble (not even Inception or Dark Knight). 

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think a lot of actors tend to put out some of their career's best work when they work with Nolan.

If we're talking about specifically how awards bodies view him then idk I can't answer that. 

You say the cast warrants a SAG nomination. None of his casts have ever gotten a SAG nomination. That’s all I’m saying. That alone pretty clearly speaks about how awards bodies view him. It is not about how many famous people are in a film together.