Eric is Quiet

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

27 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

They could have done both though. Really embrace that multi verse aspect.

They still might. If we learned anything in that industry the last few years, IP is God and when in doubt, revisit/reboot said IP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knights of Ren said:

I’d prefer to watch both Venom movies over TSS.  Sure it technically might be a “better” movie, but the venom movies were much more enjoyable and entertaining.  This is just IMO, of course. 

True statement...Venom is the more enjoyable watch for both versions (and I've watched all 4 movies - that said, it was closer for the sequels)...

53 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I think sacrificing The Harley/Joker romance for Jokers own billion dollar grossing movie has just proven to be the right choice though. More of those edgy teens turned up for Joker than SS. It changed course completely and it's been a huge success. Going by that, it would seem the one thing TSS didn't do well enough is steering far enough away from its predecessor. I would have stripped everyone and started fresh. Having half the characters and Idris in the lead made it look like they'd just replaced Will Smith's character with another black guy. Didn't realise it was a different character until I saw the movie.

I get there are some people that would watch a Joker/Harley romance movie, but I don't think that audience is high enough to justify doing it, there are better options

Now, this is on point...it was where so much confusion was on "sequel or reboot" - when you half recast, but then give it the same damn title (vs like TSS #2 or TSS Takes to the Starro), you confuse everything...

Edit:  Oops, and I get to the end of the thread from the mod - dang me for posting as I read...okay, only Venom comments from here:)...or Addams Family ones...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1

So, Deadline updated and Many Saints, like Cry Macho, seems to be showing the box office strength of a non-diverse, less male, older draw...

"Those few who bought tickets instead of subscribing to HBO Max were 52% males, 76% over 25, with half of the audience being between 25-44. 67% Caucasian, 20% Latino and Hispanic, 5% Black and 8% Asian/other showed up. The prequel played best on the East Coast, which isn’t surprise for this mob movie."

https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-let-there-be-carnage-opening-weekend-box-office-1234847950/

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

BO report predicted it for 1.4M for the weekend (which seemed high) so 500k seems low. I thought it would do 1 million.

I thought 1m was possible too. But Neon doesn’t have the brand power of A24 and it’s still a foreign horror film. It’s very depressing watching these specialty films struggle to breakout now but 500k was probably best case scenario?

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I thought 1m was possible too. But Neon doesn’t have the brand power of A24 and it’s still a foreign horror film. It’s very depressing watching these specialty films struggle to breakout now but 500k was probably best case scenario?

Its reasonable I think but a crowded schedule coming so not really capacity to expand (as Card Counter and Tammy Faye did). Might get 2m in total. Kinda makes me feel bad for films like this not doing well. 

35 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Its reasonable I think but a crowded schedule coming so not really capacity to expand (as Card Counter and Tammy Faye did). Might get 2m in total. Kinda makes me feel bad for films like this not doing well. 

It is very depressing. Everyone is celebrating things like Venom which cool, anything for theaters. But these dramas and indies struggling is concerning. The marketplace needs them just as much. French Dispatch will be a very big test this month. Last Duel will probably tank in wide release during the 15th.

I've already talked about my concerns about the specialty market and adult moviegoers not coming back, but...I'm not really sure why people had high hopes for Titane? Even with its Palme win, the movie's still a weird French-language body horror with a premise that's not going to appeal to the masses. Raw didn't even hit a million back in 2017.

• Like 1