Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

Great numbers..but still think Sony was silly and panicked with the movement in release dates and left money on the table.

Could have opened last weekend (as originally slated) and do the same numbers, with better legs as 2nd weekend PLF would have remained in that scenario.

International rollout was supposed to be 17th Sept worldwide (prior to Sony's constant move) and headlines worldwide (not just domestic) will all be Venom  + Venom would have opened in China in late Oct as the FIRST Hollywood Biggie post National Holiday break, instead of Dune which is scheduled.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah my 4pm showing which was decent sized barely reacted surprisingly. Only pop was at the end credit scene 

Recency effect.. People will remember the last thing they saw.  So in this case literally the end credit scene. 😅

29 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i think Venom is not so good, but i do hope this gives Sony the strength to cut ties with Disney , so they make their  spidey movies in their own universe , though they need to retire the peter parker version for a little while

this is very funny...for many reasons.

3 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

The pandemic situation is slightly better now vs last week. I think a global 24th rollout would be better but it isn't completely trivial to show.

Supposed to be 17th internationally. Hence 3 weekends without much competition internationally.

But Sony's move out of Sep (to 14 Oct) made Dune move to Mid Sep; which also allowed Dune to clinch the first biggie Hollywood film to open in China post their national day holidays.

• Like 1

I was really sleep deprived and was kinda dozing off so maybe that influenced my thoughts on this but I watched the original Dracula today and I just found the movie to be a lot more stilted than I expected. I also watched Frankenstein and even with my sleep deprivation, this actually felt like a good movie. Karloff's performance moved me to tears at one point.

And lmao at everyone shitting on Reeves and Ryder's performances in the Coppola version of Dracula when the Harker and Mina performances in this are way worse. 

53 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Halloween Kills won’t match 2018’s 70+ OW but 3 consecutive 70m openings (Venom, Bond, Halloween) would be stellar.

It's looking like we'll get 4 consecutive 40+ OWs based on Halloween and Dune's latest tracking, so that's a better trade off.

48 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't care if Venom is bad, its successful and proves Disney not needed, Sony Spidey Movies > MCU Spidey imo

So...

2 great Spider-man movies out 10 means Sony should keep Spidey away from Marvel forever?

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

54 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't care if Venom is bad, its successful and proves Disney not needed, Sony Spidey Movies > MCU Spidey imo

It is not about who is more successful than who or who is more needed. It is all about interest. Even if Sony Spidey > MCU spidey, the collaboration does bring benefit to Sony and DIS now until further development, so it is just not in anyone interest to break the ties off. 

Before Feige stepped in the last Spider-man movie from Sony was ASM2.

Now ya'll ready to throw the 23 billion dollar man under the bus now that he helped Sony recover their only mega franchise.

And whoever made the deal that Sony could keep Marvel's flagship character hostage indefinitely needs a swift kick in the balls. What happened to 6 to 10 year contracts?

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i think Venom is not so good, but i do hope this gives Sony the strength to cut ties with Disney , so they make their  spidey movies in their own universe , though they need to retire the peter parker version for a little while

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Go to bed, Mr. Arad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1