Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

I’m excited for the movie but i have to say, i’m having a hard time with the promotional material and the fact that everything looks not only similar compared to each other, but compared to the first movie. 

Sure, i know it’s not exactly a sequel and more like a conclusion of what begun in the previous movie. Still, the fact that nearly every photo they drop looks EXACTLY like a still of the first movie is kinda bad for marketing. 

The feeling of sameness can be a terrible thing to convince people they don’t need to see something. The trailer did a better job with how it uses color compared with that was show before, still, i think they should highlight this even further from now.

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

not finding the correlation with what I said here

I was agreeing with you that the person who said that was a weirdo. Comparing Avatar 2 vfx with Ant-Man 3 and saying Ant-Man 3 was better is like comparing Infinity War vfx with Shazam 2

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

One of them looks like a 456M movie the other one looks like a 40M Robert Rodriguez movie (and i’m being unfair with Robert because his movies are actually visually interesting).

More than vfx, Ant-Man 3 had a storyline and writing problem. There was a 250m difference in the budget between Avatar 2 and Ant-Man 3, so we shouldn't wonder why A2 vfx looks way better than AM3. GOTG3 and WF both had a $250m budget, and their vfx looks better than Ant-Man 3. Thor4 also had a $250m budget, but they spent a hell lot of money on cast and less on vfx, so vfx looks similar to Ant-Man 3.

Edited by Willowra

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The first movie did better than anyone was expecting. Even Denis Villeneuve was seemingly prepared for it to flop after the day and date announcement. 

Indeed. There's been doom and gloom about this project since it was first announced.

The source material was too inaccessible, the first adaptation flopped, Blade Runner 2049 had flopped, then Covid forced a delay, then the simultaneous release on HBO Max, how it would never get a sequel.

Truth is, it did get a better reception and box office results that a lot of us were expecting, not to mention it did indeed get a sequel, was nominated for 10 oscars and won 6. 

All and all, the final outcome in its reception was pretty great

Edited by Merkel
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think this gets pushed to summer. I cannot imagine any scenario where the summer is as anaemic as it currently looks

There's already a zero percent chance WB releases this, Mickey 17, and Godzilla x Kong in the span of less than a month (like currently scheduled). March suggests they want to get this over with once the strikes are over (unless AMPTP foolishly drags it out into 2024) since they've already lost money on its November marketing campaign, so I'm guessing Mickey 17 is the one that ends up pushed to summer since GxK just moved its date.

• Like 4

On 8/26/2023 at 12:19 PM, filmlover said:

There's already a zero percent chance WB releases this, Mickey 17, and Godzilla x Kong in the span of less than a month (like currently scheduled). March suggests they want to get this over with once the strikes are over (unless AMPTP foolishly drags it out into 2024) since they've already lost money on its November marketing campaign, so I'm guessing Mickey 17 is the one that ends up pushed to summer since GxK just moved its date.

I am not ruling out that Part 2 could be pushed back further, but I don’t think it’s likely, unless the strikes continue to be an issue come January. 

I just hope the March date doesn’t reflect a lack of confidence in Part 2. It may reflect a lack of confidence in its award pedigree, but that’s not a concern to me. 

John Wick and Creed did great this past March so I don’t see why that is being seen as a dump month. If anything, Dune now has the stature of being the first major blockbuster of 2024 as of now.

I would still prefer Dune in the fall/winter, but I find this to be better than the summer release others have suggested.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 2:19 PM, filmlover said:

I'm surprised they wouldn't push Mickey 17 into a more awards-friendly date, like October or November. Seems poised for that kind of run

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

I'm surprised they wouldn't push Mickey 17 into a more awards-friendly date, like October or November. Seems poised for that kind of run

I think that move has to be coming. Just hasn’t happened yet. 

I remember before Part One came out a lot of people were skeptical it could do well because the books were not that popular, and I argued that it didn't matter that the majority of the audience haven't read the novel, what mattered was its reputation, and the director's reputation, and the cast. The movie was being hyped by critics, bloggers, cinephiles, book readers, and you can't underestimate how people are sheep and will get influenced to be hyped for something (I don't believe for a second Barbie and Oppenheimer would have done as big as they did if not for the obsession the internet created around them). I think the same will happen with Dune Part Two: being from the same reliable director, having new celebrated cast members, and coming from the same reputable source material, there's a sense that this is also an experience movie goers won't want to miss. The overall discourse around the first film was entirely positive.

• Like 1

I think it will do quite well because people are starved for quality content, or at the very least something that feels different from the usual CBM / Disney fare(like Oppenheimer / Barbie).  I thought Dune Part 1 was a bit too dry on characterization(didn't care that much about anyone), but fuck me it still felt like a movie made by a filmmaker and not some producer cohort like your Kevin Feiges and Kathleen Kennedys who just churn out crap after crap of middling sameness and tropes.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4