Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

9 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

If this makes above $100M OW I will take everyone on this thread out to Chili’s for dinner.

9 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

If this makes over 100 mil ow I'll never attack Disney again.

Ummm, you both realize you don't make bets this big when something is in the realm of the possible...

And, ummmm, there's been a LOT of people on this thread....

• Like 2

Saw the Part 1 IMAX reissue tonight and then the sneak peek at Part 2. Another mini trailer with new footage played after the sneak peek and man, just some insane looking shots in there. Part 2 is going to be an utter visual feast, moreso than Part 1 IMO. 

• Like 1

I’m still feeling a 70M opening rn, we’ll see with pre-sales. I imagine it probably won’t be a front loaded OW, similar to the first movie. 

on the topic of the early shows, tried to get a ticket for one but the IMAX theater in question has such an awful website that crashes when you try to order online. Gonna have to try in person it seems. 

4 minutes ago, Derpity said:

This movie seems weirdly underpredicted, its a perfect storm for a monster hit

I think it’s because people aren’t sure what the general audience reception of the first one was due to Covid. Dune fans are very excited so I’m not surprised to see good early pre sales. Well just have to wait and see if the casuals are on board too.

Edited by babz06

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think it’s because people aren’t sure what the general audience reception of the first one was due to Covid. Dune fans are very excited so I’m not surprised to see good early pre sales. Well just have to wait and see if the casuals are on board too.

Yeah I mean, the original has an 8.0 on IMDb and won 6 Oscars.

This one is probably going to get a 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes and seems like a lock for another 8.0+ on IMDb.

It stars two of the biggest stars on the planet. With a great director. A known, bestselling novel.

And we haven't had a $50m opener since...October. People are ready and eager to go to a great movie again.

Think those 3 things (high quality, big stars, eager marketplace) will be very fertile ground for a Batman Begins -> TDK type jump.

I've never had less idea which way the box office could go for a sequel (particularly one where everything seems to be in it's favour for a big jump). My worry would be that there's always a natural ceiling for a hard sci-fi adaptation, but who knows.

Assuming it does explode domestically, I think there's some potential for big increases in Europe too. I know there was not HBO Max cannibalisation here, but the first one did very well at a time when audiences were barely back in cinemas here. Also, it was sandwiched between No Time to Die and No Way Home - both huge here (all time #3 and #4 in UK).

Stab in the dark first guess $75m OW/$190 DOM/$390 OS/$580 WW

Ummm....speaking of $100M DOM OW...while I'm not sure it's getting there, if someone opened a club for that OW amount, well, I like bold clubs, so I'd join it.

That said, this movie is like The Color Purple for me - aka, not my wheelhouse - but I figure solo openers get all the subscriber bases who subscribe just for blockbusters, this also gets the high-end IMAX like Oppenheimer and those folks will pay, and it has an early IMAX only day added in to the weekend.  So, if the weather doesn't suck (aka, some huge blizzard up and down the coasts), I'm certainly seeing $100M DOM as very possible OW...

Edit to Add: And did I mention a likeable and able-to-draw cast...well, now I did:).  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ando said:

Saw the Part 1 IMAX reissue tonight and then the sneak peek at Part 2. Another mini trailer with new footage played after the sneak peek and man, just some insane looking shots in there. Part 2 is going to be an utter visual feast, moreso than Part 1 IMO. 

is the Part 2 sneak after the movie, and if so is it before end credits or after them?